Laois v Armagh

Started by illdecide, June 07, 2016, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Another sobering day but the reality is the players aren't there. McGeeney or not, if you were putting your best 15 on the pitch today it would include Dyas, Clarke, O'Hanlon, Ethan Rafferty, Caolan Rafferty and Murnin. Given the limited player quality at the minute as a starting point, that's a massive hole. The problems run much deeper than the 18/20 that line out in a senior championship match and supply line issues take 7/8 years to remedy - by our record we'll be through a few more managers by then - even if those things are invested in now year on year. Oisin made a great suggestion on BBC - investing money in 5/6 full time coaches to work with primary schools and juvenile teams in clubs. That's been the Dublin model although they would that number of full time coaches working in a single club.

To the vessels asking about 2014, take a look at the team sheets and then take a look at the birth Certificates of a lot of those remaining.

naka

Duffle king
Tbf you are like myself a realist
We don't have the players
But people who want us to do well know that and aren't interested in cheap shots
Mc geeney is an easy target but any time I met him
He so wants us to do well

illdecide

It sickens my hole the people here on about McGeeney...Armagh just don't have the quality players and stop going on about who could have been available, there are players injured (which u can't do nothing about) and there are players unavailable to play for one reason or another (which u can do nothing about). I'm not saying KMcG is a tactical genius or anything but he's a penalty kick for everyone in Ireland to stick the boot in but i suppose when they're at him they'll be leaving someone else alone. Kieran's time will come and go and he'll be replaced by another man who will suffer similar abuse (well maybe just not as much) and then it'll all start again...

I think we need to start blooding as many young ones as possible over the next 2-3 years and try and unearth a few gems, hopefully a couple of forwards can come through (possibly from current minor team). Currently there are a few lads on the squad who are just not good enough for this level which i don't like saying but hey you don't need to be Einstein to work that out. Another short summer and the only posts we'll get is in the "General Discussion" threads >:(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

The buck must stop with the manager I'm afraid.Relegation to Div 3 was a monumental failure,and trouncings away to Cavan were unforgivable,as was the home defeat to Laois.Maximum priority should have been given to retaining Division 2 status.After all even Fermanagh did it..

In 5 Championship games, one win has been recorded, at home to Wicklow aided by two gift goals in the opening five minutes.

There has been no discernible alteration in tactics,today in the middle of the field Charlie Vernon lost out to an opponent,and despite being two feet away and his opponent struggling to control the ball,instead of tackling,Charlie turned and ran at speed in the direction of his own goalposts.What is that all about?

If players are opting out or prematurely retiring,it is due to the fact they see no prospect of success under the current managerial regime.If this is the case serious questions need to be asked.

There is no passion,drive or confidence in the team.That is the responsibility of the management.

Is the manager there primarily because of his ability to attract income and sponsorship?

In short no one else,not even Mick O'Dwyer or Kevin Heffernan in their prime,would have got away with the results Armagh have produced in the last two seasons.The manager's position must come under scrutiny.

RealSpiritof98

Square pegs don't fit in round holes, yes we don't have the players of old but stop trying to play like Dublin. The problem goes much deeper. There is little or no plan going forward, the county board has been inept at planning for the future and it's now coming to roost. I understand we are a small county but looking at what Tyrone has set up for the future and it sickens me we still have an old piece of flood land that Mcgeeney wont even train on. Obvious whether hush hushed or not there has been a fair bit of financial negligence during our successful period. I don't have the answers to be honest but I know that status quo is just not acceptable.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Today was probably the least concerned I've ever been about an Armagh c'ship match. I really didn't give two frigs such is my interest in the county team lately. I'd say I'm not the only one thinking that.

T Fearon

The Armagh support was unbelievable yesterday.They outnumbered Laois by three to one.That is the only positive legacy from the Golden Years.

If things stay as they are I can't see them getting out of Div 3 next year,which will also be a Championship write off,as this level of football will not prepare the team for the Championship

rrhf

You do realise that supporters like you have contributed to  the negative vibe which then spread throughout media. surrounded by negativity failure was inevitable. Some supporters would need to consider their position as well. There's a county dedicated to  self loathing already - Derry.

T Fearon

Negativity is the inevitable product of consistently poor results and performances,and absolutely no signs of improvement.Relegation to Division 3 and the first Ulster team out of the Championship should be a signal that drastic action is required.

tonto1888

I agree with the posters who say geezer is an easy target and people just love to stick the boot into him. Esp it seems from within our own county. If he did step down or was pushed, who takes his place?

Throw ball

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2016, 09:15:48 AM
I agree with the posters who say geezer is an easy target and people just love to stick the boot into him. Esp it seems from within our own county. If he did step down or was pushed, who takes his place?

You make a good point. Some will give a list of names most of whom will not want it.

T Fearon

Look at the stick the two Brian's took and they were winning Ulster Championships! I do not see any sign of progress whatsoever,on the contrary we are going backwards.What are we suppose to do? Meekly accept this? Why are some of our best players not on the panel? Surely the manager should now be soul searching and amending his entire outlook and approach.

rrhf

I think it's more to do with ambitions from the players those who were there and not there as the case might be. In terms of talent on the field, Armagh look to be around Antrim level at the moment. Off the field the structures aren't in place and whilst they may be the greatest club in Ireland Cross are off doing their own thing most of the year. Until Oisin or Mc entee play a greater role then it's always going to be reluctantly supported from this guys. However if an all Ireland winning captain, the most inspirational man who ever kicked a ball for Armagh can't summon some passion up, I suspect it's not in them. Armagh could stay in 3 because of the players structures and inherited money issues - senior management is the last Thing to be changed imo.

T Fearon

Whole lot of things need to be looked at including manager's position.3 years Grimley proved he could learn from mistakes and adapt.This seems to be beyond the cuŕrent manager.Also the reasons for players opting out needs to be looked at.With current resources we should even still be capable of staying in Div 2 and dealing with both Cavan and Laois