DUP halts £180k Glens community funding over '1922 IRA names on gates'

Started by theskull1, June 02, 2016, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

In all seriousness I assume there is a set of statutory criteria to be met to qualify for cross community funding,so it would not have been possible to award funding until the gates were removed.Fair play to the club for removing this impediment and avail of the funding.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on August 23, 2016, 10:21:48 PM
In all seriousness I assume there is a set of statutory criteria to be met to qualify for cross community funding,so it would not have been possible to award funding until the gates were removed.Fair play to the club for removing this impediment and avail of the funding.

The criteria may be statutory, but I doubt they are cross community, if the gate was named after a B special then I imagine the funding would have been provided.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Two Hands FFS

Think the gates are being moved to another part of the club grounds..not removed at all

T Fearon

Councils operate on largely cross party consent these days.If a group of members decide to ignore criteria and award or deny funding,they leave themselves open to legal action.So they can't be discriminatory even if they wanted to.Good decision by the council and the club to remove the gates.

ned

IRA from the 20's is a completely different entity from that which emerged in the 60's as we are all aware.

You just have to travel round the coast to Larne to see a UVF memorial to the gun running of the 20's. Who funded and maintains this?
Hypocrites if they denied this due to the gates. Whatever, some may think these names are very important for some to remember. My grandads names could just have easily been the ones to be honoured and I would have found it difficult to fathom not commerating how they died for a cause that a majority on here would agree with.
Also cross community in Glenariff? Very much a nationalist area last time I was aware. Has it changed that much in tbe past few years or are they bussing them in from Larne or Clough?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ned on August 24, 2016, 12:27:35 AM
IRA from the 20's is a completely different entity from that which emerged in the 60's as we are all aware.

You just have to travel round the coast to Larne to see a UVF memorial to the gun running of the 20's. Who funded and maintains this?
Hypocrites if they denied this due to the gates. Whatever, some may think these names are very important for some to remember. My grandads names could just have easily been the ones to be honoured and I would have found it difficult to fathom not commerating how they died for a cause that a majority on here would agree with.
Also cross community in Glenariff? Very much a nationalist area last time I was aware. Has it changed that much in tbe past few years or are they bussing them in from Larne or Clough?
:-X When there is funding they'll be found.

Il Bomber Destro

I don't like this line.

The IRA in the 20s used pretty much the exact same tactics as those from the 60s onwards. They murder more state police, were involved in sectarian murders and the killings of informants but the mainstream media like to sweep these factors under the rug. If anything the IRA had more of a reason to exist during the troubles.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on August 23, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 23, 2016, 04:08:45 PM
I wouldn't be happy if the pitch down the road from was called Billy Wright Park or something similar. Well all know this is the equivalent but this is what it looks like to the other side of the fence. Hard enough to get grants and it certainly doesn't help a club to be named after IRA men and the local council dominated by DUP members.

Th club isn't named after them Jim, the pitch is. And I don't think anyone outside of our club would have known who McAllister & McVeigh were. The building that the funding is being sought for will not be owned or run by the hurling club, but will be on our grounds.

Sarah Clarke just said on UTV that the club is trying to build this facility to turn the club into a cross community club  :o

The "split" in the club is also being overplayed, there where three voted against it. People have come out now, people that couldn't be bothered their hole going to the meeting to cast their vote complaining that their voice isn't being heard !

I know a lot of clubs are going down the route of "The friends of 'insert townland name here'" to differentiate between the GAA owned property and a community based development on the GAA's grounds, but do the deeds not reside in Croke Park for these irrespective of what name its given and one of your trustees will be either from Antrim CB or the Ulster council IIRC?

OakLeaf

It's worth pointing out that the DUP still voted against this even after the compromise over the gates! It only passed 18-17. The DUP are always looking for reasons not to give funding to GAA clubs.

ned

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 24, 2016, 09:32:31 AM

I don't like this line.

The IRA in the 20s used pretty much the exact same tactics as those from the 60s onwards. They murder more state police, were involved in sectarian murders and the killings of informants but the mainstream media like to sweep these factors under the rug. If anything the IRA had more of a reason to exist during the troubles.

Not bothered whether you like that statement or not.  It is true whatever form the fight took. Both my grandads would have been compatriots of the men commemorated. I for one would hate if their memory was tarnished for DUP political gain.

trueblue1234

Quote from: ned on August 24, 2016, 04:26:32 PM

I don't like this line.

Not bothered whether you like that statement or not.  It is true whatever form the fight took. Both my grandads would have been compatriots of the men commemorated. I for one would hate if their memory was tarnished for DUP political gain.

How is it true if you don't mind me asking?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

StephenC

Are they writing the names very small, or is it a very big gate?

oisinog

It's my club and in the end no compromise was required funding passed , gates remaining where they are

ned

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 24, 2016, 04:44:51 PM

I don't like this line.

Completely was the wrong word to use. I'm sure lots on here will have better historical knowledge of the period. My understanding is the IRA that emerged following 1916 was a reaction to the treaty they saw as a sell out and the continued wish for a united Ireland . Their quarrel was with the new Irish government as well as with the British remaining in the north. This is where my grandads would have been active (at the same time as the men commerated by Glenariff Oisins) and indeed one of them was interred. He was a quiet, mild mannered man by all accounts and I don't think he would have taken up arms on a whim.
The IRA that came to prominence in the late 60's was as much a reaction to british and unionist oppression in the north as it was a wish for a united Ireland. So different entities, if not completely.
I stand to be corrected and will accept any reply which can enlighten me further.

reddgnhand

Quote from: ned on August 24, 2016, 10:29:32 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 24, 2016, 04:44:51 PM

I don't like this line.

Completely was the wrong word to use. I'm sure lots on here will have better historical knowledge of the period. My understanding is the IRA that emerged following 1916 was a reaction to the treaty they saw as a sell out and the continued wish for a united Ireland . Their quarrel was with the new Irish government as well as with the British remaining in the north. This is where my grandads would have been active (at the same time as the men commerated by Glenariff Oisins) and indeed one of them was interred. He was a quiet, mild mannered man by all accounts and I don't think he would have taken up arms on a whim.
The IRA that came to prominence in the late 60's was as much a reaction to british and unionist oppression in the north as it was a wish for a united Ireland. So different entities, if not completely.
I stand to be corrected and will accept any reply which can enlighten me further.

They were not different entities.  It was the same IRA that had fought against the treaty and then split in 1969.