DUP halts £180k Glens community funding over '1922 IRA names on gates'

Started by theskull1, June 02, 2016, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Minder

I see this is in the news again, our club held a vote last week and voted to remove/relocate the gates and our chairman resigned on the spot at the meeting.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on August 23, 2016, 01:18:25 PM
I see this is in the news again, our club held a vote last week and voted to remove/relocate the gates and our chairman resigned on the spot at the meeting.

As I said before, take them down, build the community centre and then put them back up, but hopefully it won't cause too much friction within the club and community as that is the last thing you'd need.

Best of luck with the development.

illdecide

Quote from: Minder on August 23, 2016, 01:18:25 PM

IN stated today that 2 football managers resigned too over the vote...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Il Bomber Destro

JimStynes

I wouldn't be happy if the pitch down the road from was called Billy Wright Park or something similar. Well all know this is the equivalent but this is what it looks like to the other side of the fence. Hard enough to get grants and it certainly doesn't help a club to be named after IRA men and the local council dominated by DUP members.

T Fearon

There seems to be a misconception in the nationalist community that unionists should view the IRA as a benign freedom fighting non sectarian force.Not commenting on the morality or otherwise,but if you try to put yourselves in unionist shoes they see a force that killed their sons and daughters in the RUC,or innocents in Enniskillen etc.

I again don't see why politics and sport should mix.The outgoing Ulster GAA Chief Danny Murphy has emphasised the continuing need for outreach by the GAA particularly in the North and pointed out a number of initiatives he was involved in.This outreach will not be facilitated unless the GAA divests itself from all political linkages

Minder

Quote from: JimStynes on August 23, 2016, 04:08:45 PM
I wouldn't be happy if the pitch down the road from was called Billy Wright Park or something similar. Well all know this is the equivalent but this is what it looks like to the other side of the fence. Hard enough to get grants and it certainly doesn't help a club to be named after IRA men and the local council dominated by DUP members.

Th club isn't named after them Jim, the pitch is. And I don't think anyone outside of our club would have known who McAllister & McVeigh were. The building that the funding is being sought for will not be owned or run by the hurling club, but will be on our grounds.

Sarah Clarke just said on UTV that the club is trying to build this facility to turn the club into a cross community club  :o

The "split" in the club is also being overplayed, there where three voted against it. People have come out now, people that couldn't be bothered their hole going to the meeting to cast their vote complaining that their voice isn't being heard !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T Fearon

How can cross community events be held and everyone expected to attend if they have to walk through gates to access the building bearing the names of paramilitaries from either side?

foxcommander

Quote from: T Fearon on August 23, 2016, 06:02:57 PM
There seems to be a misconception in the nationalist community that unionists should view the IRA as a benign freedom fighting non sectarian force.Not commenting on the morality or otherwise,but if you try to put yourselves in unionist shoes they see a force that killed their sons and daughters in the RUC,or innocents in Enniskillen etc.

I again don't see why politics and sport should mix.The outgoing Ulster GAA Chief Danny Murphy has emphasised the continuing need for outreach by the GAA particularly in the North and pointed out a number of initiatives he was involved in.This outreach will not be facilitated unless the GAA divests itself from all political linkages

Can we not rename the Sam Maguire and Liam MacCarthy trophies? They cause offence.
I for one refuse to sit anywhere other than the Davin stand due to the paramilitary naming of the other areas at Croke Park.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

T Fearon

Yes but Croke Park is not applying for a grant to develop a cross community facility

rrhf

Over the Bar

Put the gates up for auction.  A US club would pay a fortune for them.  Win-win.

Wildweasel74

Two Hands FFS