Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I thought Eddie Brennan and Anthony Daly on The Sunday Game treated the episode with disdain, if it had of happened in the munster championship they would have had a lot more to say. Im suprised at Daly especially, Clare were in the doldrums for long enough. Ah sure just let the two of them have a go at it next year, it was a great day for meath, seemed to be their attitude.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2016, 10:41:50 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2016, 10:38:02 PM
Did the controversy get mentioned this evening on RTE? Nothing mentioned earlier this afternoon AFAIA. Was waiting for Joe to quip

Anthony Daly said that both Meath and Antrim should be allowed to enter the Leinster round-robin next year.
Probably the fairest outcome as Antrim couldn't care less about the CR in its own right.

theskull1

Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 09:08:01 AM
The CCCC is meeting tomorrow morning to discuss.  Apparently the ref said he got the score wrong? If that's true, it should be the end of his inter-county refereeing career.  TG4 don't come out of this well either.  We really don't need to see shots of people in the crowd when you could show whether the umpire has raised a fleg or not.

NO IT SHOULDN'T.  :o

The guy made an accounting error. Probably got so used to looking up at the official scoreboard. No one died.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

manfromdelmonte

The CCCC is meeting tomorrow morning to discuss.  Apparently the ref said he got the score wrong?  If that's true, it should be the end of his inter-county refereeing career.  TG4 don't come out of this well either.  We really don't need to see shots of people in the crowd when you could show whether the umpire has raised a fleg or not.
right, blame TG4!

theskull1

Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 09:36:01 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 06, 2016, 09:23:22 AM
The CCCC is meeting tomorrow morning to discuss.  Apparently the ref said he got the score wrong? If that's true, it should be the end of his inter-county refereeing career.  TG4 don't come out of this well either.  We really don't need to see shots of people in the crowd when you could show whether the umpire has raised a fleg or not.

NO IT SHOULDN'T.  :o

The guy made an accounting error. Probably got so used to looking up at the official scoreboard. No one died.

I'm not an expert on the rules skull, but is the ref not supposed to keep score independently of the scoreboard?  Hope so, as it's clear we can't rely on TG4! 

I remember being at an Ulster Final, must be about 25 years ago.  The minor final was Antrim v Down.  At the end of the game the scoreboard had Antrim winning by a point, most people in the crowd had it as a draw, but according to the ref it was a one point victory to Down!

The referee ultimately made the mistake of not checking his scorecard. I'm just saying an innocent mistake shouldn't end his intercounty career. Poor or biased refereeing is a different matter
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

The CCCC is meeting tomorrow morning to discuss.  Apparently the ref said he got the score wrong?  If that's true, it should be the end of his inter-county refereeing career.  TG4 don't come out of this well either.  We really don't need to see shots of people in the crowd when you could show whether the umpire has raised a fleg or not.

So the referee got the score wrong, but someone doing the scoreboard in CP also got it wrong as well or was there a fourth official involved in ensuring both tallied. Surely between the three someone should have spotted it!!

Either way more than one person was involved in this debacle and its all a bit strange IMO, the anti norther hoors. Sure didn't one of the Armagh lads get a jab in the bollox from a Mayo lad right in front of the referee and nothing done.

Its a conspiracy I tell you.

Itchy

Replay and an Antrim victory I think. Karma is a bitch like that.

Applesisapples

irrespective of cups being handed over, if the Ref's report confirms a draw then a replay should follow. It is solely the responsibility of the ref to keep score and his official report on this is or should be final. Most ref's at championship would have an umpire keep a tally to help them confirm the result I'm surprised he didn't. Any way a replay is fair. However a different question is how come Antrim can only draw with Meath?

themac_23

As an Antrim man i dont want the match replayed, seen the scenes after the game and meant so much to Meath how could they replicate that, or get up for a replay for that matter. Im sure we've all played in games and with 10 mins or so to go asked the score. now at that stage of the game we knew what we had to do to get over the line, Meath knew what they had to do to peg us back. and at that stage they done enough, simple. We threw the game away and couldn't see it out. Also when meath got their last free they took an age to take it just to put it out of play, would this have happened if they thought the game was a draw?

Best scenario is both teams play Liam next year, meath keep the cup and all us Antrim folk can boast we are back among the big boys again and get our wee pat on the head about keeping the game going 'up there' after another 15-20 point defeat. Role on next summer!

Itchy

Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on June 06, 2016, 01:49:01 PM
As an Antrim man i dont want the match replayed, seen the scenes after the game and meant so much to Meath how could they replicate that, or get up for a replay for that matter. Im sure we've all played in games and with 10 mins or so to go asked the score. now at that stage of the game we knew what we had to do to get over the line, Meath knew what they had to do to peg us back. and at that stage they done enough, simple. We threw the game away and couldn't see it out. Also when meath got their last free they took an age to take it just to put it out of play, would this have happened if they thought the game was a draw?

Best scenario is both teams play Liam next year, meath keep the cup and all us Antrim folk can boast we are back among the big boys again and get our wee pat on the head about keeping the game going 'up there' after another 15-20 point defeat. Role on next summer!

Going by what I saw on Saturday this outcome would be a moral victory!

What about the Antrim players, they trained all year too I'm sure. Should a false result be allowed to stand just because observers think that it meant more to Meath? That's a crazy precedent to set. The game must be replayed, if Antrim don't care about the result let them play a b team.

NAG1

Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2016, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on June 06, 2016, 01:49:01 PM

Going by what I saw on Saturday this outcome would be a moral victory!

What about the Antrim players, they trained all year too I'm sure. Should a false result be allowed to stand just because observers think that it meant more to Meath? That's a crazy precedent to set. The game must be replayed, if Antrim don't care about the result let them play a b team.

The game will be replayed there is no other outcome that can be reached.

Regardless of how it is dressed up it was a mighty balls up for all concerned, not hanging the ref out but he should have had back up on this and should have been in control of the score throughout the game, he clearly wasnt.

Shocking disregard to teams both shown on the Sunday game last night Anthony Daly was sure its only a bit of craic anyway and these lads wont mind regardless. Not the tone that would have been taken had this been a Munster match.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 10:17:58 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 06, 2016, 09:52:47 AM
right, blame TG4!

I'm not "blaming" them but they did f**k up the score on a couple of occasions if you follow the screen grabs on RTE's chronology.  Who do you "blame"?

TG4's mistake - and the referee's I would suspect - was to doubt themselves. They had the score right until they noticed the stadium scoreboard said something different. Instead of trusting their own correct tally they changed it to fall into line with the stadium scoreboard - which was wrong for most of the second half. That RTE chronology is based on watching the match on TV and not realising what was going on in the stadium. The quotes in the story pointing the finger in part at TG4 are a bit rich too as RTE didn't appear to have any sports staff reporting from the stadium themselves.

johnneycool

If Croke Park agree or try to facilitate a replay they would be setting a dangerous precedent although they've replayed similar in the past and at other times not.
You gotta love this association as sometimes they make up the rules as they go along!

I wonder is there much heart in Antrim for replay as I get the impression they can't wait for this year to be over, senior inter-county hurling wise!

If I was an Antrim hurler I'd not be too bothered about a replay as I know when the Down lads who were involved in the game being blown up early in the first ever Christy Ring final didn't really want a replay but were a bit pissed off by the lack of support from the county board at the time.
Antrim CB will ask for a replay, CCC won't give it to them, a bit of a sweetener to the county coffers, a few vouchers for the players, everyone is happy....

lenny

Quote from: johnneycool on June 06, 2016, 02:37:58 PM
If Croke Park agree or try to facilitate a replay they would be setting a dangerous precedent although they've replayed similar in the past and at other times not.
You gotta love this association as sometimes they make up the rules as they go along!

I wonder is there much heart in Antrim for replay as I get the impression they can't wait for this year to be over, senior inter-county hurling wise!

If I was an Antrim hurler I'd not be too bothered about a replay as I know when the Down lads who were involved in the game being blown up early in the first ever Christy Ring final didn't really want a replay but were a bit pissed off by the lack of support from the county board at the time.
Antrim CB will ask for a replay, CCC won't give it to them, a bit of a sweetener to the county coffers, a few vouchers for the players, everyone is happy....

If Antrim are awarded a replay then I presume Derry will be awarded a replay for the 1997 Ulster final v Cavan when Cavan were awarded a point for a shot which was clearly several feet wide and the difference at the end was one point. I'm sure several other teams will be looking for replays for injustices.

johnneycool

Quote from: lenny on June 06, 2016, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 06, 2016, 02:37:58 PM

If Antrim are awarded a replay then I presume Derry will be awarded a replay for the 1997 Ulster final v Cavan when Cavan were awarded a point for a shot which was clearly several feet wide and the difference at the end was one point. I'm sure several other teams will be looking for replays for injustices.

Correct,
    although was there not another game where the ball hit the stantion inside a net and the ball came out like a bullet and the goal wasn't given as everyone thought it hit the post? And that game was indeed replayed.