Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán Ulster Semi Replay 4pm 03/07/2016 @Clones

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckquay

Tyrones efficency in the first 20 when they were under pressure really kept them in it and they looked much the better side throughout. Poor decisions by cavan on the pitch consistently running into traffic and being turned over with a free out. Terry needs to solve the killian clarke puzzle...Poor v armagh and he's not playing well enough to be fitted in anywhere else.

Wildweasel74

Johnston needs to play closer to the nets, any good forward gets swallowed up against massed defenses he aint the first, why is Martin Dunne not playing with cavan, he was very good a few years back?

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 19, 2016, 04:59:58 PM
Johnston is a league footballer. Did nothing. However I don't buy this Tyrone will def win replay. They got some ridiculously bad points from unforced errors in 1st half and Cavan missed some awful easy chances. Cavan should have been 4 up at half time. All still to play for

You could be right Itchy, on reflection Cavan didn't play all that well today despite the trojan effort and guts shown. They made a huge amount of unforced errors and kicked a pile of wides even from scoreable positions.

Martin Dunne didn't commit this year. I see he's on Twitter saying that we would have won if changes had been made faster, I would presume he's not a fan of Terry and Co. Not a huge loss especially in a game like this anyways, too light.

Also, while Galligan's kickouts started brilliantly, they went downhill fairly fast and he hit a few howlers that cost us scores.

Jinxy

Also, McKiernan is a straight-line player who looks great against weaker opposition when he can gallop through the middle.
If he has to turn, or gets stuck in traffic, he's in trouble.
Tall player + swarms of defenders + lack of momentum = turnover.
Should be played around the middle or in the full forward line against a team like Tyrone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

general_lee

Wouldn't say cavan have missed the boat.. more a case of being lucky to have a boat to miss in the first place. Think conditions probably helped them more than Tyrone, on a dry pitch I think tyrone would put cavan away with a few to spare. That match today suited the more agricultural footballer whereas the wee nice footballers with fake tans prefer a hard dry pitch. Can't see tyrone coughing up another 3 goals next day out

never kickt a ball

Quote from: general_lee on June 19, 2016, 05:40:11 PM
Wouldn't say cavan have missed the boat.. more a case of being lucky to have a boat to miss in the first place. Think conditions probably helped them more than Tyrone, on a dry pitch I think tyrone would put cavan away with a few to spare. That match today suited the more agricultural footballer whereas the wee nice footballers with fake tans prefer a hard dry pitch. Can't see tyrone coughing up another 3 goals next day out

I couldn't understand how Tyrone lost to Kerry last year but now I know.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Itchy on June 19, 2016, 04:59:58 PM
Johnston is a league footballer. Did nothing. However I don't buy this Tyrone will def win replay. They got some ridiculously bad points from unforced errors in 1st half and Cavan missed some awful easy chances. Cavan should have been 4 up at half time. All still to play for

I agree itchy but you have to look at both sides of the pitch when writing off scores that should have been avoided - did you see your 3 goals and some of our free kicking? Never mind Sludden and McCurry at the end.

I expect to see a change in the Tyrone goalkeeper position and full back for the next day.  I don't understand why a goalkeeper jumps with a full back and full forward when a high ball comes in. If Mickey O'Neill says on his line at the end, the ball falls into his hands, he's was never getting that ball in the air. Mickey Harte faced this exact problem in 2003 and the moves he made probably won us an all Ireland. Unfortunately we don't have a Cormac McAnnallen this time to plug the hole but perhaps Justy or Joe back at number 3 if fit?

Other than the high ball, I didn't see too much to trouble for Tyrone and Cavans shooting for points under pressure was poor enough. I think Tyrone will improve from this, a clear problem has been highlighted and thankfully, today, it wasn't fatal to our Ulster Championship ambitions because had it happened v Donegal or Monaghan we were dead and buried.
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

Very strange game overall, we didn't seem interested at all for the first 15/20 mins. Unbelievable lack of intensity and an utter absence of any sort of running game. So many players standing round doing nothing or gently jogging round. This resulted in us getting gobbled up in the tackle very often as the usual runner off the shoulder wasn't steaming through at speed. .

Overall we were the better team but a huge caveat is that both teams were shite, although some slack can be cut due to horrendous conditions. Cavan goals came at the worst time possible for us and completely dragged back the advantage we had worked up on each occasion.

Usual cliches apply here in that the replay will be won by the team that learns the most from the draw and cuts out the mistakes in a fortnight. Free taking is really killing us and will be our undoing, is it worth firing young Lee Brennan in? He appears to be the most consistent around, although would he hold it together in Ulster senior championship pressure?

The wastefulness shown by ourselves in the last quarter was sickening. McNulty made two huge errors by not laying off to Sean Cavanagh shortly after being introduced and followed this up by hammering one straight at the keeper instead of laying it out to McCurry (I think) who bad an open net. Can never understand why players in that scenario, if they are taking on the shot, don't strike the ball along the ground. Significantly increases the chances of scoring as the keeper will find it nearly impossible to get down, especially in conditions like that when the ball will fly across the wet ground.

Sludden will have nightmares about that last shot, that had to go over! Anyway, no harm getting the 'talk' of Tyrone being genuine AI challengers dampened a notch or two. Need to regroup and buck up for the 3rd July. What's the chances of this being screened live? Wife is due on the 4th so a trip down to Clones is going to be off the cards!

Il Bomber Destro

Very strange game, we started slowly but were the better team for most of the game. The goals were really poor ones to concede, O'Neill was at fault for the second and third goals, he was very suspect under the high ball all game.

Though Niall Sludden had a great game but he will be disappointed with his two chances near the end. Very surprised Justy didn't see action today, we weren't dealing well with the high ball and Justy is our best defender by far in the air. We'll need to be a lot more assured at the back next week. Ronan O'Neill was very impressive again, he looks a completely different player physically than before.

JoG2

Quote from: skeog on June 19, 2016, 04:15:22 PM
only one result the next day cavan dont do replays

Quote from: skeog on June 15, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
they could be 20/1 doesnt matter tyrone by 4 or 5

You know the craic alright

rrhf

Quote from: Jinxy on June 19, 2016, 03:54:29 PM
Very hard to judge Tyrone until they come up against a division 1 team.

What happens when they can't run the legs of the opposition
What would Meath do?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks Cavan, I remember well the last time we conceded 3 (ridiculously soft) goals in the Ulster. Sin é ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on June 19, 2016, 06:38:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 19, 2016, 03:54:29 PM
Very hard to judge Tyrone until they come up against a division 1 team.

What happens when they can't run the legs of the opposition
What would Meath do?

We'd unleash our exceptional manliness.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

What do people think on Mark Bradley's contribution?
Will McCurry start the next day?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2016, 07:17:25 PM
What do people think on Mark Bradley's contribution?
Will McCurry start the next day?

I think he's a fantastic wee player but in the last two games his physical stature really has left him exposed in possession and having little impact in the tackle, in fact I'm nearly certain this is how he injured himself v Derry. Think we'll definitely see McCurry start here next time out. However, our entire HF were poor today with all being replaced.