Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán Ulster Semi Replay 4pm 03/07/2016 @Clones

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 01, 2016, 10:20:12 PM
I'd say you'd have to go back to 2008 AI final to find the last game we won coming in as underdogs. The draws to get to the AI semi finals in '13 and '15 were extremely kind to us. I'd say Mickey would bite yer hand off to get an Anglo Celt this year instead of trapezing around the country.

At the same time, Tyrone have won a serious amount of games in recent years as favourites. Armagh in 2014 the only side who surprised us since the '08 win. That's some record. Since then, lost to Cork, Dublin, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Armagh and Kerry after a rash of backdoor wins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ONeill on June 01, 2016, 10:30:15 PM
I'd say you'd have to go back to 2008 AI final to find the last game we won coming in as underdogs. The draws to get to the AI semi finals in '13 and '15 were extremely kind to us. I'd say Mickey would bite yer hand off to get an Anglo Celt this year instead of trapezing around the country.

At the same time, Tyrone have won a serious amount of games in recent years as favourites. Armagh in 2014 the only side who surprised us since the '08 win. That's some record. Since then, lost to Cork, Dublin, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Armagh and Kerry after a rash of backdoor wins.

I agree that Tyrone haven't beaten one of the big 4 teams in recent years but I'm not sure about the underdog bit above. I would imagine Monaghan were favourites in the quarter finals in both 13 and 15. Tyrone definitely felt like the underdogs going into last years game. Albeit not huge outsiders.

Fuzzman

When you look at the change in Ulster football in the last number of years you have to admire how Mickey Harte has kept us ticking over as a top 5 or 6 team.
The game has changed dramatically in recent years and unlike counties like Down, Derry and Armagh we seem to one of the big guns of our province, even though it's been so long since we've won a title.
I for one wanted to see a new manager and a change of our style of play but we seem to be playing attractive football again and putting up big scores although should we get to an Ulster final against Donegal or Monaghan time will tell.

Expectations of this team are high and failure to make it to another AI semi would probably be disappointing for most fans. Avoiding Dublin to the final will be the aim of most teams you would imagine but beating Mayo or Kerry would be a massive shot in the arm for this new Tyrone team in my eyes.

Still, we need to focus on Cavan for now as they themselves are growing in confidence and if they can learn a lot from the league final then who knows what they can do.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 02, 2016, 07:52:51 AM

I agree that Tyrone haven't beaten one of the big 4 teams in recent years but I'm not sure about the underdog bit above. I would imagine Monaghan were favourites in the quarter finals in both 13 and 15. Tyrone definitely felt like the underdogs going into last years game. Albeit not huge outsiders.

You're probably right about last year, I think Monaghan definitely were favourites then (would be interesting to look back and check out how the bookies read it).  I would say 2013 was a closer run thing, however, I always felt confident in bith those games as we have a good track record against them. O'Neill's list of our conquerers over the years since '08 really highlights our inability to get past the top teams. Here's hoping this is the year!

skeog

sensethetone

Quote from: skeog on June 02, 2016, 12:09:54 PM
fuzzman are down and fermanagh no hopers

If Fermanagh and Down can knock Donegal and Monaghan out of Ulster that's fine by me.

Fuzzman

It's a long time since Down were a force in Ulster and this year looks probably worse for them.
Fermanagh have never won Ulster and have done well under McGrath but can you really see them beating Donegal?

Cavan are the only ones who seem to be on any serious upward slope in my eyes having made it to Div 1 this year and are beginning to get on top of this balance between defence and attack.

twohands!!!

Both hands.

ONeill

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 02, 2016, 12:00:28 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 02, 2016, 07:52:51 AM

You're probably right about last year, I think Monaghan definitely were favourites then (would be interesting to look back and check out how the bookies read it).  I would say 2013 was a closer run thing, however, I always felt confident in bith those games as we have a good track record against them. O'Neill's list of our conquerers over the years since '08 really highlights our inability to get past the top teams. Here's hoping this is the year!

Monaghan were 2-1 outsiders in 2013.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 02, 2016, 02:09:09 PM
It's a long time since Down were a force in Ulster and this year looks probably worse for them.
Fermanagh have never won Ulster and have done well under McGrath but can you really see them beating Donegal?

Cavan are the only ones who seem to be on any serious upward slope in my eyes having made it to Div 1 this year and are beginning to get on top of this balance between defence and attack.

I would give Fermanagh a decent chance of taking Donegal on recent form, Fermanagh are a well drilled outfit who will give most teams a good game of it.

I think it really depends where Donegal are at but the signs haven't been looking good, maybe Championship will bring something out in them. They have been wrote off by pretty much everyone which will probably be music to their ears.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Please Cavan, help us to rescue the reputation of the Ulster Championship, we beg you!  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lenny

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 02, 2016, 04:09:59 PM

Both hands.

When did tyrone start trapezing? That's another circus act to add to their diving.

ONeill

omagh_gael