The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Jesus lads, some while negativity in here.
I thought it was a great performance last night and fair play for bouncing back after such a  poor one against Belgium.
It was great to see Ireland playing on the front foot and really going for it, hopefully that same mentality is brought into the france game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 23, 2016, 09:08:35 AM
Jesus lads, some while negativity in here.
I thought it was a great performance last night and fair play for bouncing back after such a  poor one against Belgium.
It was great to see Ireland playing on the front foot and really going for it, hopefully that same mentality is brought into the france game.

It's the usual attention seeking by the resident gobeen

Jeez last night was incredible. Like a few others I woke the youngest wean when Brady scored and for once the wife didn't give out to me, what a result!

Barring injury, I cant see too many changes for the French game. I'd say there was some amount of club secretary's calling each other trying to get Sunday's throw in times shifted

Keyser soze

Quote from: T Fearon on June 22, 2016, 11:41:29 PM
Some people North and South getting carried away,reality is they won one match each against Italy's B team and a shite Ukraine team.Iceland and Hungary ten times more impressive than both teams.

Wales evens and France 4/9 this weekend.Absolutely golden chance to add one and a half times your money

Well go on and put your money where your mouth is. And since its its a massive mouth we could only expect a large sum to be wagered, looking forward to seeing your betting slip.

Applesisapples

Live for the moment enjoy the result. B team or not Italy were packed with players from the top leagues, Ireland had 5 from the English second flight. COYBIG! Tweet of the night from Shane Lowery "Robbie Brady you absolute ride"...Although from his comments I think Dunphy would want to ride Ws.

Canalman

Great win.

Particularly delighted for James McCarthy, imo a player very harshly  treated by the herd. Great to see him after game with a beaming smile. Motm James McClean by a country mile.

To  be brutally honest, the Italians post game didn't look too fussed.

Irish mgt must take alot of credit for last night.

yellowcard

If we won 2-0 some people would be complaining that it wasn't 3-0 but thats their perogative. If you can't enjoy moments like last night then you may give up watching sport becasue its only going you bring you misery time and time again. We got out of a group that was arguably the hardest to be rewarded with a game against the hosts and tournament favourites so we have had no luck with the draw when you compare it to say NI. Last night was brilliant for the country and will be relived for many a year, we are in nothing to lose territory now, everything from here on in is a bonus.

muppet

Unfortunate positioning of the advertising...

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 12:02:49 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 23, 2016, 12:01:15 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 22, 2016, 11:41:29 PM
Some people North and South getting carried away,reality is they won one match each against Italy's B team and a shite Ukraine team.Iceland and Hungary ten times more impressive than both teams.

Wales evens and France 4/9 this weekend.Absolutely golden chance to add one and a half times your money

Iceland is the story of the Games. Roughly a Population of Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon?

Yes but with a lot more in common.  :D
Their banks also collapsed

Bord na Mona man

In Italian soccer culture, there is an unwritten rule that in something like a final day of the season, the teams who are safe generally let the relegation battlers win.
Tim Parks gives a good account of it in "A season with Verona" where practically all the bottom 6 or 7 teams recorded unlikely wins on the last day, often with late winners.
The Italians didn't exactly go for it last night, but you have to credit Ireland for perseverance all the same.

Also, the selection last night was brave. More arrogant managers would have stuck with roughly the same team rather than fess up to any previous mis-selections.

There is pressure on France who haven't played well so far. Knock out games make most teams inhibited, so you'd hope Ireland could keep it close and maybe get it to extra time. The French full backs won't enjoy wingers go at them, so there is possibly something there to give the Republic a foothold.

JoG2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 23, 2016, 10:50:11 AM
In Italian soccer culture, there is an unwritten rule that in something like a final day of the season, the teams who are safe generally let the relegation battlers win.
Tim Parks gives a good account of it in "A season with Verona" where practically all the bottom 6 or 7 teams recorded unlikely wins on the last day, often with late winners.
The Italians didn't exactly go for it last night, but you have to credit Ireland for perseverance all the same.

Also, the selection last night was brave. More arrogant managers would have stuck with roughly the same team rather than fess up to any previous mis-selections.

There is pressure on France who haven't played well so far. Knock out games make most teams inhibited, so you'd hope Ireland could keep it close and maybe get it to extra time. The French full backs won't enjoy wingers go at them, so there is possibly something there to give the Republic a foothold.

A Season With Betting Scams more like !

NAG1

Evra looks to be well past his best and that should be the area that Ireland go for. High pressure high tempo game and see where the chips fall. I don't think it suits EPL or players playing in the English or Scottish lower leagues to be playing in games where going for the win isn't paramount. It seems to bring the best out in them when they know that it is win or bust.

muppet

I was thinking about this today and why Glen Whelan never really gets dropped, when it is obvious McCarthy plays much better without him. I remember a young Roy Keane getting MOM awards whenever Ince was injured. Fergie then sold Ince but in a club team he had a lot more games to observe his players.

In international football, there are very few games to try things and to be certain. So I agree, a centre-midfield of McCarthy & Brady was very brave given the stakes.

And I agree about wingers. As Mike Bassett England Manager said: '4...4...f*kin'...2!'

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvL4Bzyumg
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

That is an outstanding read - really enjoyable.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 23, 2016, 11:24:58 AM

That is an outstanding read - really enjoyable.

+1. Some of those ultras were just lunatics.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt