The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I'm conscious I sound a bit of a sour bastard. Fair play to all of them. A great night.

imtommygunn

In your defense he is usually shit ;D

Tony Baloney

AZ is right. McGeady gave a lot of ball away cheaply in the last 10 or 15 mins when they were pressing for the goal.

straightred

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 22, 2016, 11:03:27 PM
AZ is right. McGeady gave a lot of ball away cheaply in the last 10 or 15 mins when they were pressing for the goal.

on a night like this its probably best to agree to differ. He's everyone's scapegoat (including mine at times). Took far too much money sitting on the bench in lieu of playing football  but i can only think of of one bad cross tonight. He only had a small role in the goal but he did it properly - thats all i can ask for.

Want to talk about poor - how about long. Yes he gets hammered by defenders but he isn't exactly living up to the song

straightred

Quote from: hardstation on June 22, 2016, 11:09:42 PM
I thought Coleman was the worst player the free state had on the field.

funny you say that - independent gave him and hendrick 8/10.I thought his 1st touch was awful all night

general_lee

Quote from: straightred on June 22, 2016, 11:11:21 PM

funny you say that - independent gave him and hendrick 8/10.I thought his 1st touch was awful all night
Agreed. His control was awful and had trouble keeping it down.. other than that he did pretty well. McClean was immense for me, offered so much in defence and attack and you can tell he was running on pure passion with a  few hard tackles thrown in. Big Darryl Murphy was great too, great in the air he'd have probably done better than Long in the previous two games given how isolated he was

muppet

The attempt at the chance that came his way wasn't very clever either. Think of the Turkish goal last night as an example of what to do in that situation. Coleman just hammered it straight at the defender. Didn't look at all comfortable with the ball tonight for some reason.
MWWSI 2017

straightred

Quote from: general_lee on June 22, 2016, 11:17:18 PM

Agreed. His control was awful and had trouble keeping it down.. other than that he did pretty well. McClean was immense for me, offered so much in defence and attack and you can tell he was running on pure passion with a  few hard tackles thrown in. Big Darryl Murphy was great too, great in the air he'd have probably done better than Long in the previous two games given how isolated he was

McClean just loves playing for us. With that passion he has to start next day. Slab gave them plenty of problems particularly in the 1st and had a really good shout for a peno as well. Long is getting battered and getting no protection either - its just not working for him

muppet

Any know what shape Walters is in?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Before you get carried that was Italy's unmotivated  B team, probably responding to a favour on behalf of Trappatoni.Also I am suspicious about Germany's performance against NI,their finishing was uncharacteristically poor.Wouldnt get too excited,both teams will be sent packing this weekend

straightred

Quote from: T Fearon on June 22, 2016, 11:23:10 PM
Before you get carried that was Italy's unmotivated  B team, probably responding to a favour on behalf of Trappatoni.Also I am suspicious about Germany's performance against NI,their finishing was uncharacteristically poor.Wouldnt get too excited,both teams will be sent packing this weekend

Yes but we are better than some of the others that have got the last 16 so I'm not one bit bothered about how we got there. In fairness to germany they were trying - I just don't think they are quite good enough this time,

I fancy belgium with De Bryne as player of the tournament. They have hungary now and then Wales/NI. Thats a handy run to the semi

muppet

When Coleman fouled straight after the kick-off, was anyone else thinking of Overmars in Dublin?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Have De Bruyne,Muller,Lewandoski in my fantasy team.3 games each played and not a goal between them.

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on June 22, 2016, 11:19:11 PM

The attempt at the chance that came his way wasn't very clever either. Think of the Turkish goal last night as an example of what to do in that situation. Coleman just hammered it straight at the defender. Didn't look at all comfortable with the ball tonight for some reason.

Because the hype is better then reality. I laugh when people say Bayern Munich are looking for him. Wouldn't get a game for their C team.

Fair play to them tonight- guts and heart won out. By Sunday afternoon at 3.30pm we'll wish we hadn't have got through but credit where it's due. Glad for Hoolohan . He's been Ireland's best player and he'd have been lynched after that Ronny Rosenthal effort tonight.

straightred

Quote from: T Fearon on June 22, 2016, 11:29:32 PM
Have De Bruyne,Muller,Lewandoski in my fantasy team.3 games each played and not a goal between them.

De bruyne killed us on Saturday and (accordding to reports that ive read) was v good again tonight. Lewandoski has been rank