London

Started by Jack Dempsey, May 01, 2007, 11:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

Airports - which is the handiest for getting into the city centre... heading over next month for a weekend
Any thoughts on what I and the better half can get upto.....

ziggysego

London City Airport
Heathrow
Stansted
Gatwick
Luton
Testing Accessibility

Deal_Me_In

Check out www.cityjet.com its fairly new doing flights from Dublin/Belfast City to London City Airport (beside the millenium stadium only 10-15 mins from ciy centre in the tude). If you book early enough it is cheap however the longer you leave it the dearer it becomes. I used to fly to heathrow but the hastle getting into the city on tube is a nightmare.

Rois

Heathrow is cheapest by taxi ride from the city centre and is the only one linked by tube.  For about £25 return Heathrow Express takes about 15 minutes to Paddington, pretty central, and always our preferred airport at work due to that. 

Gatwick Express takes you to Victoria which is also handy, and has what used to be the Thameslink (First Connect or something now) that is slower but stops at convenient points along the way - eg London Bridge. 

London City is now linked by the DLR (Docklands Light Railway, similar to tube) but as someone said, price is shocking if you haven't booked.

The only one I would avoid is Luton - even Stansted has the Stansted Express which doesn't take that long to get into the centre.

tayto

Stansted is fine so long as the driver turn up for the express, i missed me flight home one time due to there being no train driver delaying the "express" by half an hour.

Bensars

The standstead express goes every half hour and will take you into Liverpool Street station. Dead central. The fact ryan air fly into standstead , probably will leave it cheaper.

Also you can buy the express tickets on the ryanair flight, works out cheaper. I have used it several times and never had the the problems tatyo had. The driver mus have been a shamrock rovers ultra !! ;D

tayto

ha yea, he probably was the bollox. it's all aboutthe monorail at stanstead tho, very james bond.

maggie

Any1 reccomend any good nite spots in the crentral area?
We usually head to Waxies/o'Neills (when away from home-wat do you do, always try and find the paddy bars!!)
But was wondering does anyone know anywhere good for a bit of a jive?
Have also frequented The Swan and Tiger Tiger

Rois

For absolute cheese you could try Strawberry Moons, just off Regent Street, and it's on the same street as the Living Room which is grand for something to eat first plus a couple of nice cocktails.  Full of hen parties though but good craic.  It's also beside the Ice Bar for something different (haven't been in, I hate vodka so think I'd be sick as soon as I crossed the door).

Had a good night at the New Connaught Rooms in Covent Garden, not as cheesy though.

Lvpo (Lupo in roman letters or something) in Soho is good. 

Jeez I love London.

youngfella

Quote from: Bensars on May 02, 2007, 10:01:29 AM
The standstead express goes every half hour and will take you into Liverpool Street station. Dead central. The fact ryan air fly into standstead , probably will leave it cheaper.

Also you can buy the express tickets on the ryanair flight, works out cheaper. I have used it several times and never had the the problems tatyo had. The driver mus have been a shamrock rovers ultra !! ;D

THat picture you have in dangerous ma boy
Pull hard and early

donalmac99

Quote from: Jack Dempsey on May 01, 2007, 11:17:50 PM
Airports - which is the handiest for getting into the city centre... heading over next month for a weekend
Any thoughts on what I and the better half can get upto.....

its £20 rtn on the train from stanstead to lpool street and takes around 45 mins each way

You can get the bus from luton with your eay jet boarding card for about £10 rtn and it takes around an hour and a half, leaves you at victoria. The train from there leaves you at kings cross.

Heathrow, you can get a tube direct to picadilly (correct me if im wrong anyone) and it takes around an hour I think

I always fly to luton and get the bus mate.

ziggysego

From experience, I like Stansted airport... well a part for the day I had a machine gun pointed at my head. Don't like the rest of the London airports.
Testing Accessibility

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: Rois on May 02, 2007, 08:18:20 AM
Heathrow is cheapest by taxi ride from the city centre and is the only one linked by tube.  For about £25 return Heathrow Express takes about 15 minutes to Paddington, pretty central, and always our preferred airport at work due to that. 

Gatwick Express takes you to Victoria which is also handy, and has what used to be the Thameslink (First Connect or something now) that is slower but stops at convenient points along the way - eg London Bridge. 

London City is now linked by the DLR (Docklands Light Railway, similar to tube) but as someone said, price is shocking if you haven't booked.

The only one I would avoid is Luton - even Stansted has the Stansted Express which doesn't take that long to get into the centre.

Luton, would be the handiest, train takes 30mins into central London

Stanstead is 45 mins, Gatwick Express is suppose to be 30mins but slows down when in the london limits

maggie

Quote from: Rois on October 04, 2008, 12:54:23 PM
For absolute cheese you could try Strawberry Moons, just off Regent Street, and it's on the same street as the Living Room which is grand for something to eat first plus a couple of nice cocktails.  Full of hen parties though but good craic.  It's also beside the Ice Bar for something different (haven't been in, I hate vodka so think I'd be sick as soon as I crossed the door).

Had a good night at the New Connaught Rooms in Covent Garden, not as cheesy though.

Lvpo (Lupo in roman letters or something) in Soho is good. 

Jeez I love London.

God u cant beat cheesy music.
Thanx Rois, have heard bout the ice bar plus i love vod so bonus!!

lfdown2

maggie, just moved over, where is waxies/oneils any other nw recommendations?