Muineacháin v An Dún 5ú Meitheamh Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship

Started by babarino, May 11, 2016, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2016, 03:00:56 PM
A lot of the Down players seemed to have their heads down and their tongues hanging out for much of the 2nd half.
I think the top 6 teams are so comfortable with their systems of play that they use their energy much more efficiently and spread the load.
I think nowadays, when the legs start to go against a well-drilled outfit like Monaghan, then you are liable to concede a cricket-score.
This explains why so many games are even enough up until half-time, and yet they still end up in a hammering by the end.
I don't think it's a massive gulf in quality per se.
More of a gulf in coaching & conditioning.
Also a gulf in time teams have been playing together
Monaghan are looking for their 4th ulster final in a row.
But they probably won't win Sam.

Galway, Down, Armagh  and Meath are all in the same boat. 

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2016, 03:44:48 PM

I vote that we throw Down out of the boat.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 04:45:11 PM

There's a whale that resembles Joe Brolly waiting to try and overturn the boat and gobble up anything in an orange jersey.

Fuzzman

Ger Canning said that was Kieran Hughes first championship goal. Is that right? I was sure I saw him score a goal years ago.

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 06, 2016, 06:15:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 04:45:11 PM

There's a whale that resembles Joe Brolly waiting to try and overturn the boat and gobble up anything in an orange jersey.

We'll throw him Tony Fearon, he'll not want more after that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Did anyone else notice that Henry Brown wasn't even mentioned in the player ratings in the Irish News today?
The Aristocrat Years

Aristo 60

Henry might be happy enough to have been overlooked on this occasion.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Gold

Noticed that too

Did anyone else think Turkeys black card was wrong? He got the ball but his arm followed through and it looked a possible black, but wasn't

Did turn the game...he's a great player who although hasn't the best feet and isn't the best fielder but he has some heart, battles and puts in serious hits and is physically strong enough to turn ball over...most other Down men weren't
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Gold on June 06, 2016, 11:40:49 PM
Noticed that too

Did anyone else think Turkeys black card was wrong? He got the ball but his arm followed through and it looked a possible black, but wasn't

Did turn the game...he's a great player who although hasn't the best feet and isn't the best fielder but he has some heart, battles and puts in serious hits and is physically strong enough to turn ball over...most other Down men weren't

On TV it definitely looked like a black card, but from my position on the terraces behind the goal I thought that he dispossessed the man and then the momentum carried him through and took him out. He didn't wrap his arms around him and drag him to ground and I thought it was pretty harsh - but again, watching it on the Sunday Game last night, the TV camera angles with the addition of slow motion made it look like a definite black.

To be fair I think the players didn't give up as badly as some are saying. With 72 minutes on the clock, Down were still taking quick frees and trying to get the ball up the pitch. In fact, one of McManus' two points from play came after Gearard McGovern ran virtually the length of the pitch to attack and couldn't get back on time to stop him around the 67th minute.

5 Sams

Quote from: Gold on June 06, 2016, 11:40:49 PM
Noticed that too

Up until the black card he was one of our best players. The man's a machine...the amount of work he gets through is amazing.
The Aristocrat Years

gortnaleck

5 Sams

Quote from: gortnaleck on June 07, 2016, 01:49:44 AM
Is he a son of Paddy Turley who I think played with Abbey CBS

Not sure. I think Paddy Turley was from Glenn. Peter plays with RGU.
The Aristocrat Years