Armagh v Cavan 29/5/2016

Started by tonto1888, May 03, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

Quote from: bennydorano on May 23, 2016, 09:37:05 PM
Nobody will ever convince me that McGeeney wasn't acting the maggot with our line out v Cavan in the league, but I dont think it will matter come Sunday. Cavan are no Donegal, who extinguished a helluva peoples faith in Armagh's potential last year, so we've every chance.

Cant see too many surprises selection wise this year, something like -
Morrison
Murray, CV, Mallon,
Morgan, McKeever, Shields
Rafferty & Findon
Grugan, McKenna, TK
McParland, Campbell, OHanlon

Heffron loses out to accomodate Morgan, Findon & TK could very easily miss out.

Murray is injured. I'd put Donaghy or Aidan Forker in. In the forwards it would be harsh to drop Watters, i'd maybe go for him over McParland. I read earlier that both goalkeeper's are injured, not sure how true it is.

?
morgan, vernon, mallon
Shields, mckeever, donaghy or forker
rafferty, findon
o'hanlon, grugan, kernan
watters, campbell, mckenna

I really hope the tactics used in the latter stages of the league are employed and if they are it's game on.  Starting to get championship fever at long last.

Farrandeelin

Bloody hell Orior, Armagh's defence must be doing rightly!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Nobody will ever convince me that McGeeney wasn't acting the maggot with our line out v Cavan in the league, but I dont think it will matter come Sunday. Cavan are no Donegal, who extinguished a helluva peoples faith in Armagh's potential last year, so we've every chance.

Morrison
Murray, CV, Mallon,
Rafferty & Findon
Grugan, McKenna, TK

You think he threw the game and pretty much relegated Armagh just to play a sly trick on Cavan? If he did them he's an even worse manager than I already thought.

I'm enjoying the talk about mckeever at ctr back. He's nothing more than a thug in my opinion and I reckon Gearoid mckiernan will run across the top of him if he plays there.

Armagh best chance is to target cavans midfield where we have two hard working lads but neither outstanding midfielders. That said hyland might but Killian Clarke in there and I really think he is the real deal. That would depend on whether Rory Dunne is up to speed to go full back.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Itchy on May 23, 2016, 08:27:53 AM
Cavanmaniac- Armagh today are no more experienced or cute than Cavan are. Your argument might hold water against Tyrone who are all those things due to some of the old dogs still hanging about. Cavan simply have to beat Armagh, we are a better team with better players now we need to have a game plan and attitude/balls to win it no matter what Armagh throw at us.

I agree, we have to be beating Armagh because as a team we are, or should be, more developed and settled, but that league win will count for nothing and besides, as yet I've seen nothing to suggest that Cavan are ready to take a step up or are in a position where they can afford to take anyone lightly. Basically, I'm wondering how many more times our players can state big ambitions, talk the talk, fail to deliver in a big game or reach their targets and then keep coming back with a spring in their step.

There are still big question marks over Cavan IMO, although I still think we should squeak it v Armagh.

tonto1888

I'm going to the game in the hope that I see a good display from Armagh. I don't think we will win but I would like to see something that leaves me optimistic about getting a decent run in the qualifiers

bennydorano

Forgot about Aidan Forker,  no way he doesn't start.

general_lee

Quote from: Itchy on May 23, 2016, 11:25:55 PM

Morrison
Murray, CV, Mallon,
Rafferty & Findon
Grugan, McKenna, TK

I'm enjoying the talk about mckeever at ctr back. He's nothing more than a thug in my opinion and I reckon Gearoid mckiernan will run across the top of him if he plays there.
I think the hope is McKeever would stop McKiernan from doing that.

I will honestly be surprised by anything other than a Cavan victory. They have a slightly better set of players who are much further on in their development. Armagh's only hope lies with a bit of motivation, they'll put in a good fight and the league match plus previous Cavan antics will be fresh in the mind. I think Armagh are light up top in terms of score takers, not just for this game but in general, if Campbell isn't in full flow who will take responsibility?

illdecide

I don't think McKeever will start but will be on for last 20 mins r so. Will be interesting alright but one thing for sure is the team named on Thurs nite will not be the team that starts on Sunday...FACT.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JP

Quote from: Itchy on May 23, 2016, 11:25:55 PM

Morrison
Murray, CV, Mallon,
Rafferty & Findon
Grugan, McKenna, TK

You think he threw the game and pretty much relegated Armagh just to play a sly trick on Cavan? If he did them he's an even worse manager than I already thought.

Armagh best chance is to target cavans midfield where we have two hard working lads but neither outstanding midfielders. That said hyland might but Killian Clarke in there and I really think he is the real deal. That would depend on whether Rory Dunne is up to speed to go full back.

Don't worry about your midfield that's our weakest sector.

The closer I get to this match the more optimistic I become. There was something there in the last 3 games of the league and there is a big performance in these lads. Cavan are favorites and rightly so, but I don't think there is a huge gap between the teams. I think it should be a good close game, looking forward to it.

Orior

My prediction.

Cavan: 4 yellow, 1 black, 1 red
Armagh: 5 yellow, 2 black, 2 red

What? The final score? Who cares!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Beffs

How many black eyes, cracked ribs and split lips are the marching band and flag carriers going to have?  ::)

Itchy

What this game needs is Marty Duffy.

Jinxy

Quote from: Beffs on May 24, 2016, 03:18:24 PM
How many black eyes, cracked ribs and split lips are the marching band and flag carriers going to have?  ::)

I'll feel a bit shortchanged if McKeever doesn't belt one of the Cavan lads with a trombone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Throw ball

To be fair if Cavan cannot beat Armagh at home this Sunday it will take something special in the qualifiers to satisfy their supporters. They are physically superior to Armagh in most areas of the field, Armagh have no midfield and they have 4 first choice forwards unavailable for the summer. Many Armagh supporters are staying at home to watch it on TV. A close encounter in a game of quality football would satisfy most that are travelling.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on May 24, 2016, 06:13:49 PM
What this game needs is Marty Duffy.

It'll have effin Eddie kinsella - next best thing!