Referees panel 2016

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, April 27, 2016, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

Sean Hurson the Tyrone ref is pretty decent

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 27, 2016, 11:32:22 PM
Hope he is linesman for one Mayo match, on my side.

He'll (Reilly) never be on your side Far (proverbially).

Good work by Headquarters to wait a year before demoting him!

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 27, 2016, 09:11:46 PM
Football - Championship Panel of 18:

Ciaran Branagan (An Dún)
Barry Cassidy (Doire)
David Coldrick (An Mhí)
Maurice Deegan (Laois)
Marty Duffy (Sligeach)
David Gough (An Mhí)
Rory Hickey (An Clár)
Padraig Hughes (Ard Mhacha)
Sean Hurson (Tír Eoghan)
Fergal Kelly (An Longfort)
Eddie Kinsella (Laois)
Conor Lane (Corcaigh)
Joe McQuillan (An Cabhán)
Noel Mooney (An Cabhán)
Paddy Neilan (Ros Comáin)
Anthony Nolan (Cill Mhantáin)
Derek O'Mahony (Tiobraid Árann)
Padraig O'Sullivan (Ciarraí)

Football - Championship Linesman Panel of 8:

James Bermingham (Corcaigh)
Niall Cullen (Fear Manach)
Liam Devenney (Maigh Eo)
Jerome Henry (Maigh Eo)
John Hickey (Ceatharlach)
Shaun McLaughlin (Dún na nGall)
Martin McNally (Muineachán)
Cormac Reilly (An Mhí)

Good to see Cormac Reilly finally demoted, John Hickey is the best referee I've seen out of the present bunch and unlucky not to make the referees panel. Noel Mooney the only new addition, he believes in non contact football and loves to be centre of attention. Blows his whistle in a shrill manner too.

That would be the reason he was promoted so ::)

skeog

good to see cormac reilly reduced to water boy cavan doing well suppose mr president helps does anyone know what criteria is applied in selecting the championship panel does it come down to the assesors

maigheo

Have always liked Hughes and he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.I have always been amused how a fan in the stand 50 or 60 yards away can see whether a decision is right or wrong over a ref who is normally no more than 10 or 15 yards away from the play.

our_fella

have you ever heard of punctuation i dont think you have poor silly man

Quote from: skeog on April 28, 2016, 09:50:30 PM
good to see cormac reilly reduced to water boy cavan doing well suppose mr president helps does anyone know what criteria is applied in selecting the championship panel does it come down to the assesors

skeog

our fella are you a holder of a phd lighten up punctuation or not cormac reilly should not be any way near a game of major importance i am neither poor or silly by the way

Applesisapples

Quote from: redzone on April 28, 2016, 07:31:48 PM
Sean Hurson the Tyrone ref is pretty decent
No he's not and he can't tell the time!

Canalman

Quote from: maigheo on April 28, 2016, 11:59:52 PM
Have always liked Hughes and he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.I have always been amused how a fan in the stand 50 or 60 yards away can see whether a decision is right or wrong over a ref who is normally no more than 10 or 15 yards away from the play.

Totally agree. One thing I like about him is that he is consistent. Imo of course. Plenty on here would beg to differ it seems.

Rossfan

Just wondering why is it a foul and a yellowcard if a tackler hits his opponents arm an almighty wallop but not a foul if the ball (over)carrier wallops a tackling arm?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 28, 2016, 07:55:53 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 27, 2016, 11:32:22 PM
Hope he is linesman for one Mayo match, on my side.

He'll (Reilly) never be on your side Far (proverbially).

Good work by Headquarters to wait a year before demoting him!

I honestly dont see how Cormac Reilly could ever officiate at a Mayo game again.  I would fear for his physical well being if he made any controversial calls against Mayo

muppet

Fellas complimenting refs from their own county isn't much value, as they never have to suffer them for real.

Equally though I would rather a neutral's view of a ref that officiates a match, rather than that a supporter of one of the counties involved. It is incredibly difficult for the men in black as, in any given incident, there can be a number of offences simultaneously (e.g. pulling & dragging versus over-carrying). When the ref calls it one way, the other team and supporters are outraged, particularly in tight big games.

I know I can be apoplectic with a ref and then be astonished to hear opposition fans who are equally annoyed with him. Who'd be a ref?

Also, teams set out to intimidate refs, surrounding the ref or flapping their arms wildly at every decision etc., which winds up their own supporters as well, which increases the pressure on the ref.

Regarding Cormac Reilly, I would refer to the general consensus in the media and on these boards from neutrals at the time and I'll leave it at that. But I do have sympathy for him. The game is almost unreffable (if that is a word) at times.

MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: Canalman on April 29, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

Totally agree. One thing I like about him is that he is consistent. Imo of course. Plenty on here would beg to differ it seems.
I've always had time for Paudie, and think that he applies the rules well, and exposes the ignorance of some spectators. I'd like to see him get an AI as he'll be retired before he gets an Armagh final.

Throw ball

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 29, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

I've always had time for Paudie, and think that he applies the rules well, and exposes the ignorance of some spectators. I'd like to see him get an AI as he'll be retired before he gets an Armagh final.

Only one thing though - did he not referee the 2009 county final between Harps and Pearse Ogs!

Fuzzman

Was thinking last Sunday at the league finals that the advantage rule has been implemented quite well by most refs now and it really has helped the game though fans often are crying out for a free but don't notice the ref's hand up for the free.

The other thing though that is still up in the air is the black card. There is so much confusion about it I feel that often there is a foul but because the player falls to the ground it can be construed as a cynical drag down rather than a bad tackle and just a free. I think they need to revisit the wording of it so that it only targets CLEAR drag down or trips to purposely stop the attacking player from making progress.
At the moment a tackle in the first 5 mins will often escape a black card but the same tackle in the final 5 mins would receive one.