Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

He regularly contradicted himself throughout the commentary - clown

screenexile

Quote from: haranguerer on May 24, 2016, 11:12:26 AM

Is there any chance we could just have a cull of the deadwood? Marty/Spillane/O'Rourke/Canning/Carney/Carr?? Coverage would be infinitely better without them!

Walter Cronc

Carney is the worst by a country mile!!!

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on May 24, 2016, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 24, 2016, 11:12:26 AM

Is there any chance we could just have a cull of the deadwood? Marty/Spillane/O'Rourke/Canning/Carney/Carr?? Coverage would be infinitely better without them!

Shut your face.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Maybe its just Rachel but there is something refreshing about the Sky show.
They tend to have younger guests on with not so biased ideas.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
Maybe its just Rachel but there is something refreshing about the Sky show.
They tend to have younger guests on with not so biased ideas.

Sky coverage is excellent. . . if they could just not show it on Sky that would be great then!

Hound

Granted, Derry weren't great, but I was impressed by Tyrone. I wouldnt mind seeing them win Ulster to keep them on Mayo's side of the draw.

skeog

Carney was on about the wind blowing in from the Swilly. Geography must have been his weak subject at school.

J70

Quote from: skeog on May 24, 2016, 05:13:08 PM
Carney was on about the wind blowing in from the Swilly. Geography must have been his weak subject at school.

Especially as he went to school at St. Eunan's in Letterkenny (Swilly flows through it and the lough starts there) and his brother was principal there!

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2016, 10:26:48 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2016, 06:01:12 PM
Tyrone on the other hand look like a team on another level, fitness wise, tactics wise and in game intelligence wise. I hope we get the opportunity to have a rattle at Donegal as I think a win against them will be a huge boost to the squad heading into the AI series.

Of course it's arrogant of us to think this way in many people's eyes but I think this is true. The top 4 or 5 teams seem to be almost playing a different type of game now where fitness, tactics, adaptability are all on a different level. Turnovers are a major tactic now where you invite a team into your half and let them push defenders forward to support a struggling attack and then strip them off the ball and attack into the space they left behind at pace.
You have to be an ultra fit player these days and I just noticed how much running Colm Cavanagh does all game. For Peter Harte's goal Colm busted his ass making a run into the box even though he wasn't used.
Aaron Kernan made the point on Sunday night that some teams get loads of bodies back but don't actually make any tackles.

Of course we don't want to get carried away after such an easy win but I too would love to meet Donegal in the final as opposed to Monaghan. Donegal have had our number now for a good while and so it would be nice to get a chance to settle that score but of course Cavan might have something to say about that.  ???

Should we somehow reach the final (I'll be very surprised if we do, based on the evidence of this spring), unless Rory Gallagher has something almost magical up his sleeve, Tyrone will beat us handily. Tyrone are doing what we did four years ago (and reproduced for one game v Dublin in 2014), except that we are still relying on many of the same players and just don't have the legs for it anymore. So I see a packed Donegal defense and no release available to get scores, while Tyrone just keep picking us off.

omaghjoe

Quit with your BS J70 we all know you dont think that at all.

On the other hand thats interesting about Carney, makes me thinks he is even more stupid than he goes on.

Fuzzman

Interesting point about our kickout strategy. I always think in big matches that when a team pushes right up but you continue to hit them short anyway that it puts huge pressure on the keeper. We saw a few times on Sunday how the Derry keeper give away 2 or 3 scores because his kickout didn't find it's man.
We see it nearly every year in the final stages in Croke Park how one bad short kick out can lead to a goal and virtually kill of the game.
It's grand when there's no major pressure but I'd rather see the keeper trying to pick a player out on the wings in space but still far enough away from the 21 yard line.

Also, interesting point they make about how often we seem to kick the ball short into the keepers hands. I think the 2nd goal actually came from that or was Mattie not trying to shoot?
We seem to do this a lot more than other teams I feel.

winghalfun

Even in the warm up the two teams were a sight to behold.

The intensity from Tyrone was amazing compared to Derry who I honestly thought had already warmed up before they came out.

The difference was a gulf.