Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2016, 02:34:10 PM
McCurry comes on for Bradley and scores 4 points and should have had more as had some bad misses.
With Meyler and the two Brennans probably pushing hard for a start the next day competition for places will be tough.

I'd like to see McShane get a good run this year as he's a big strong lad yet he's still only 20.
Did you see Colm O'Rourke talking yesterday about how he watched Tyrone in Navan where when they lose possession  up front they all sprint back into position and set up their defensive screen. Brian McGuigan mentioned it yesterday to where you can hear the instructions being shouted to "set up" again.
Jim McGuinness has a lot to answer for.

Mickey Harte controls the forwards using a system of shouts and whistles.
"Away to me!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

redzone

Quote from: general_lee on May 23, 2016, 01:12:46 PM
That's probably a fair observation. I find it hard to believe that a team that has Tony Scullion involved would put up such little resistance.

That day is long gone in football u clown. Beating down the walls in changing rooms before a game is no good. Work is done in the weeks before hand. It's players who can use their heads that are needed

thewobbler

Quote from: redzone on May 23, 2016, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 23, 2016, 01:12:46 PM
That's probably a fair observation. I find it hard to believe that a team that has Tony Scullion involved would put up such little resistance.

That day is long gone in football u clown. Beating down the walls in changing rooms before a game is no good. Work is done in the weeks before hand. It's players who can use their heads that are needed

Agreed. But having a manager in place who is obsessed with getting players to work as a unit is more essential again. Against a well drilled side, having 10 clued in players won't count if the other 5 aren't following the same plan.

Derry were a tactical abomination yesterday. Their defensive system had neither the conviction to kill Tyrone momentum, nor the sense to protect their full back line. No man's land. Plus they all got sucked into the Tyrone half without anyone cottoning on. Most galling though was the bizarre and obviously pre-approved belief that shooting from 60 yards is the way to break down a packed defence. It was idiotic.

Fuzzman

With Derry giving Tyrone a real good game in the McKenna cup and probably should have held out to win it, you nearly wonder was it Tyrone who were lying in the long grass waiting for Derry.
Harte is a shrewd man and has his whole panel including a lot of young, fit hungry young lads bought into this hard working, defensive system of play which requires a lot of hard work and discipline.

Barton on the other hand seems totally out of his depth and as I read from a few Derry posters they were probably better under the previous management team. I thought Derry's long range shouting was proving quite successful up until we got our 2nd goal. The Dubs used that tactic well against Donegal a few years back but once you get put under pressure that far out it can go terribly wrong.
Derry's naivety in not playing a sweeper seemed to hand the game to Tyrone in that 15 min spell before half time along with some very poor kick outs.
There seemed to be a very much "lets see how we get on" attitude with Derry whereas Tyrone game plan hasn't changed now for a good few years and the new younger faster players are adding to its execution at breaking into attack at speed.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2016, 05:50:22 PM
With Derry giving Tyrone a real good game in the McKenna cup and probably should have held out to win it, you nearly wonder was it Tyrone who were lying in the long grass waiting for Derry.
Harte is a shrewd man and has his whole panel including a lot of young, fit hungry young lads bought into this hard working, defensive system of play which requires a lot of hard work and discipline.

Barton on the other hand seems totally out of his depth and as I read from a few Derry posters they were probably better under the previous management team. I thought Derry's long range shouting was proving quite successful up until we got our 2nd goal. The Dubs used that tactic well against Donegal a few years back but once you get put under pressure that far out it can go terribly wrong.
Derry's naivety in not playing a sweeper seemed to hand the game to Tyrone in that 15 min spell before half time along with some very poor kick outs.
There seemed to be a very much "lets see how we get on" attitude with Derry whereas Tyrone game plan hasn't changed now for a good few years and the new younger faster players are adding to its execution at breaking into attack at speed.

I agree about Barton being out of his depth, Derry's poor tackling has been a feature of all the games Tyrone have played against them all year. They also lack any sort of discipline and the idea of basing a gameplan on  winning a game by kicking miracle points, consistently from distance, is naive in the extreme. This coupled with his ill advised comments pre match about Tyrone being a media hype job suggests a man who unfortunately has struggled to cope with the demands of the job. Tyrone on the other hand look like a team on another level, fitness wise, tactics wise and in game intelligence wise. I hope we get the opportunity to have a rattle at Donegal as I think a win against them will be a huge boost to the squad heading into the AI series.
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2016, 03:36:12 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2016, 02:34:10 PM
McCurry comes on for Bradley and scores 4 points and should have had more as had some bad misses.
With Meyler and the two Brennans probably pushing hard for a start the next day competition for places will be tough.

I'd like to see McShane get a good run this year as he's a big strong lad yet he's still only 20.
Did you see Colm O'Rourke talking yesterday about how he watched Tyrone in Navan where when they lose possession  up front they all sprint back into position and set up their defensive screen. Brian McGuigan mentioned it yesterday to where you can hear the instructions being shouted to "set up" again.
Jim McGuinness has a lot to answer for.

Mickey Harte controls the forwards using a system of shouts and whistles.
"Away to me!"

Ye'd hear him the odd time shouting, "Lie down! Lie down!"

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 23, 2016, 12:05:38 PM
The Lynch incident was after a high challenge from Richie Donnelly, which he did get a yellow card for.
Its a terrible thing to see creeping into the game.

One which I first saw 13 years ago from a diminutive, tigerish defender in a championship match involving the same two sides. Like most questionable behaviour in Gaelic football, it would appear to have been introduced by Tyrone.
Poor form from Lynch though.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: lenny on May 23, 2016, 06:29:10 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2016, 11:31:39 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 22, 2016, 10:16:20 PM
Mark Lynch waving an imaginary yellow card was disgraceful too.
Indeed  that was disgraceful, I felt that one in the pit of my stomach.
Derry were so bad they made Tyrone appear sporting and justifiably indignant about the unsporting antics of the opposition.
That must be a first?

That was one surreal half time interview (BBCNI) with some member of the Derry management team just before the resumption of play.
Monty Pythonesgue, "only a flesh wound" in reply to "how bad was that first half?"

There was an absolutely disgusting cynical piece of cheating yesterday in the second half from peter donnelly which I'm surprised nobody else has picked up on. He did a diego simeone impression by kicking a ball on to the pitch to try to disrupt a derry attack. Derry had just acored 4 in a row and although tyrone were still 8 up and in control donnelly was getting frustrated along the line. Derry were attacking along the stand side and donnelly kicked a ball from his position on the terracing side right out to the middle of the pitch about 30 yards out from the tyrone goal. If derrys attack had continued the ref would have had to stop the play with another ball on the pitch. There was a foul though near the stand side and as derry were awarded a free sludden kicked the spare ball back to the umpire. It was an incident that I hope was picked up because donnelly deserves a good suspension from a blatant piece of cheating.

What a load of shite! Never heard worse. Yes Donnelly did kick the ball onto the pitch but not the way you described it. The game was already stopped at that stage, either a free kick or line ball for Derry on the stand side and he kicked it about 20 yards into the pitch from the sideline. The ball was then kicked back to behind the goals by Sludden before play resumed.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 23, 2016, 06:59:52 PM
The Lynch incident was after a high challenge from Richie Donnelly, which he did get a yellow card for.

One which I first saw 13 years ago from a diminutive, tigerish defender in a championship match involving the same two sides. Like most questionable behaviour in Gaelic football, it would appear to have been introduced by Tyrone.

It must be frustrating that this is the area of Tyrone's play that your players chose to mimic. Rather than mimicking the tactical awareness, tackling, work ethic, footballing nous or basic skills of the game that were so evident in Tyrone's game back then and completely absent from Derrys game plan yesterday.
That was never a square ball!!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2016, 07:57:28 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 23, 2016, 06:59:52 PM

It must be frustrating that this is the area of Tyrone's play that your players chose to mimic. Rather than mimicking the tactical awareness, tackling, work ethic, footballing nous or basic skills of the game that were so evident in Tyrone's game back then and completely absent from Derrys game plan yesterday.

Indeed it is, Benny. Very, very frustrating. Light years behind in almost every regard.
Good luck for the rest of the year.

Sorry, misread your post, Benny. I thought you were referring to where the two teams are now. The '03 game was a draw - no major difference in tactical awareness, tackling, work ethic, footballing nous or basic skills of the game that day. Light years now.

omaghjoe

Card waving aside Lynch was unbeliebably shite yesterday.

He used to be a great player,  is it just that so many years in a Derry jersey just gradually take its toll?

Fuzzman

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2016, 06:01:12 PM
Tyrone on the other hand look like a team on another level, fitness wise, tactics wise and in game intelligence wise. I hope we get the opportunity to have a rattle at Donegal as I think a win against them will be a huge boost to the squad heading into the AI series.

Of course it's arrogant of us to think this way in many people's eyes but I think this is true. The top 4 or 5 teams seem to be almost playing a different type of game now where fitness, tactics, adaptability are all on a different level. Turnovers are a major tactic now where you invite a team into your half and let them push defenders forward to support a struggling attack and then strip them off the ball and attack into the space they left behind at pace.
You have to be an ultra fit player these days and I just noticed how much running Colm Cavanagh does all game. For Peter Harte's goal Colm busted his ass making a run into the box even though he wasn't used.
Aaron Kernan made the point on Sunday night that some teams get loads of bodies back but don't actually make any tackles.

Of course we don't want to get carried away after such an easy win but I too would love to meet Donegal in the final as opposed to Monaghan. Donegal have had our number now for a good while and so it would be nice to get a chance to settle that score but of course Cavan might have something to say about that.  ???

TheOptimist

Ok Lynch waving an imaginary card was not nice to see, but what is so different to Colm Cavanagh running to the linesman after McKaigue pushed his elbow in his face.

Tyrone fans really do think butter wouldn't melt.

Jinxy

Lynch just doesn't have the right body type for modern inter-county football.
The only place I'd have him is full forward where at least he could 'bust up the play'.
This is a game for greyhounds now, the day of the rottweiler is long gone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2016, 10:55:01 AM
Lynch just doesn't have the right body type for modern inter-county football.
The only place I'd have him is full forward where at least he could 'bust up the play'.
This is a game for greyhounds now, the day of the rottweiler is long gone.
I laughed at Martin Carney on commentary on sunday. One minute he was saying how Derry needed Mark Lynch at FF as a target man, then about 5 minutes later he was saying they need to switch him to CHB to protect the derry FB line
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either