Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

I actually agree with him on this. I'm in favour of drug testing, but does it really have to be immediately after a game? Even in soccer, it seems wrong. I'm sure the tests would show the same results the next morning or afternoon.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 12:11:18 PM
I actually agree with him on this. I'm in favour of drug testing, but does it really have to be immediately after a game? Even in soccer, it seems wrong. I'm sure the tests would show the same results the next morning or afternoon.

I actually saw a clip of Martial getting pulled for a drug test as he came down the tunnel after scoring the winner against Everton in the FA cup and thought that must be so hateful, when all you want to do is get into the changing room with your teamates.
Maybe its so they can test for some substances that can leave the system very quickly?
If not, surely there is no harm in giving them an hour or so at elast after the games before pulling them in.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Gavin knows as well as anyone that it has to be done quickly after the match. I'd say he is publicly airing a complaint made to him by his players, but he wouldn't mean much by it.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2016, 12:20:14 PM

Gavin knows as well as anyone that it has to be done quickly after the match. I'd say he is publicly airing a complaint made to him by his players, but he wouldn't mean much by it.

Why though? Why immediately after a game like that. I mean do the traces disappear as quickly as that?

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 12:40:03 PM

Why though? Why immediately after a game like that. I mean do the traces disappear as quickly as that?
You are guaranteed to have the players there, no excuses....they might not hear the doorbell at home for example  ::)

AZOffaly

No scientific reason other than that?

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 12:48:34 PM
No scientific reason other than that?
Not as far as I'm aware. Maybe certain stimulants which are banned and are taken before games are easier to catch.

Jinxy

It can take hours to give a urine sample after a game.
I remember Niall Kelly years ago being kept in Croke Park after a Meath game, unable to give a sample, after he'd received a belt in the kidneys during the game.
He had to be hospitalised that evening.
They can take blood immediately but I don't know if they do one or both now for the GAA.
I doubt the players themselves were bothered about missing the show itself, but I know it rankles when they are kept away from their teammates and the general celebrations after a game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 12:40:03 PM

If the winners of whatever the event is aren't tested immediately after the main event the system has no integrity. We have seen in other sports how difficult it is to get athletes tested 'out of competition', so the obvious reaction to that is to make sure tests are conducted 'in competition'. Especially the winners.

This is what the Sports Council said today:

"The players could have watched the show under supervision and been tested afterwards.

"We are always as accommodating as we can be. We know testing can cause frustration for sportspeople so we do our best to work with them."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/players-should-not-have-missed-croker-laochra-show-because-of-drug-tests-sports-council-34659269.html

That seems reasonable to me. They try to be accommodating, but there is no question of going looking for players the next day or later that week.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Micro dosing is all the rage now, drugs get flushed out pretty quickly, so if you take a stimulant with that particular game in mind and take only a small dosage it will be out of the system by the next day.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 26, 2016, 01:11:26 PM
Micro dosing is all the rage now, drugs get flushed out pretty quickly, so if you take a stimulant with that particular game in mind and take only a small dosage it will be out of the system by the next day.

Fair enough Dinny. Maybe they should just do the blood test so, and forget urine? Anyhow, you seem to be something of an expert with regard to doping in general. I'm getting very suspicious of Kildare and Leinster Rugby :)

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on April 25, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
The only reason they aren't much further up the pecking order in hurling is that the best young hurlers go to football. If they picked hurling Dublin would probably be only behind Kilkenny.

There should undoubtedly be targeted funding for other counties, starting with the bigger ones, but many of them still have to ask themselves why they're so far off the standard of Dublin.

If you seriously believe that, then you're smoking something special...

Lowndes and Kilkenny were decent enough underage hurlers, hardly world beaters..

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 01:13:58 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 26, 2016, 01:11:26 PM

Fair enough Dinny. Maybe they should just do the blood test so, and forget urine? Anyhow, you seem to be something of an expert with regard to doping in general. I'm getting very suspicious of Kildare and Leinster Rugby :)

If you were any use you'd be playing.