IRISH NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS

Started by MoChara, April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on April 14, 2016, 01:00:50 PM
So you saw it as southern-bashing? What parts in particular?

Here is wile Joe:

" My father, a veteran republican, fluent Irish speaker and traditional musician steeped in all things Gaelic quipped to me during the week, "Don't be too hard on the southerners Joe, some of them are almost as Irish as we are."

Take the reference to the (foolish) Meath East TD. She unwisely suggested that an attack on Sinn Féin's Belfast office in 1982, where staff were murdered, was 'brought upon themselves'. It has to be said that this was a particular stupid comment from the TD.

However the article leaps from that to:

"She blindly and sanctimoniously assumed that the suffering of the nationalist community and republicans was "all brought on by [their] own actions", as if nationalist trouble-making was the primary source or cause of the conflict."

But worse than that. He then uses that daft cow, and in particular his twisting of her idiotic comments, as a brush to tar us all:

"Perhaps such hostile reactions amount to victim-blaming as a means of deflecting from southern feelings of semi-responsibility, failure (to create a 32-county republic) or guilt (over partition and the abandonment of northerners)."

I have relatives in the wee 6 and I lived up there for a while. I consider myself a 32-county Ireland man. I know I am an Irishman and I don't need Joe f**king Brolly to tell me what that is.

The last think this island needs is Catholics of the 6 counties to think bashing the 26 counties is somehow going to improve their lot.

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

That's my issue with this sort of article. It makes assumptions about everyone in the Republic, and I'm a bit sick of lads telling me what I think or believe. I know what I think or believe, and I also am fairly confident that the majority of people in this state would have similar views on the North, certainly most of the 'real' people I've spoken to. I'm not sure what the various usernames on here would say to cause a row.

There is an issue with our media, and with an over-representation of a particular point of view, but that does not mean that we all see ye as different or less Irish. I'm actually sick of talking about this.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2016, 01:19:34 PM
That's my issue with this sort of article. It makes assumptions about everyone in the Republic, and I'm a bit sick of lads telling me what I think or believe. I know what I think or believe, and I also am fairly confident that the majority of people in this state would have similar views on the North, certainly most of the 'real' people I've spoken to. I'm not sure what the various usernames on here would say to cause a row.

There is an issue with our media, and with an over-representation of a particular point of view, but that does not mean that we all see ye as different or less Irish. I'm actually sick of talking about this.

+1
MWWSI 2017

OakleafCounty

As a northerner, I'm sick of nordies that go on like this. It's just getting boring at this stage and caring so much about whether or not somebody in Galway or Kildare is dreaming of a United Ireland makes you look insecure in your own skin and it neglects the real pressing issues on either side of the non-existant border.

Like what is the big f**king deal here?

theskull1

Do you reckon inaction spoke louder than words or sentiment to us nordies and thats what we're 'huffing' about? 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mikehunt

I remember my first time meeting a unionist. It was in one of those sun holiday places. By chance I  sat at a table where this couple were. To be sociable I started chit chat, he was from the north but seemed a tad uncomfortable.  I didn't want to offend or make him feel uncomfortable among so many southerners as there were a crowd of us. Just to be sure I asked him was he into football. He asked "which type?". I could tell from the reply and his tone that he had no interest in chit chat with a taig so I left it at that. Even though we had never met before he immediately disliked me even though I was trying to be friendly. My first trip over the border was a year later and I seen the Army and RUC doing their rounds in Belleek. For some reason it annoyed me. The major difference between the 26 and the other 6 is that we don't have to deal with bigotry/sectarianism.  I don't buy the Donegal folk feeling like outsiders. That's just geographical. Connemara people feel the same in Galway.

haranguerer

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 01:14:32 PM

The last think this island needs is Catholics of the 6 counties to think bashing the 26 counties is somehow going to improve their lot.

You couldn't have demonstrated your ignorance any more perfectly

AQMP

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 01:31:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2016, 01:19:34 PM

+1

As someone from the North,I agree with this, one of my pet hates is six county nationalism or more correctly six county partitionism

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on April 14, 2016, 02:25:16 PM

You hunted and hunted and found something semantic to be offended about.

Good for you.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Why so? Would you care to elaborate?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

haranguerer

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 02:33:09 PM

It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it should embarrass you.

I didn't hunt by the way, and the whole rest of your reply was tripe. The Brolly comment is obv tongue in cheek, and was quoted as such, and it wasn't much of a leap at all to make from that td's comments. In any event - this is a guy thoughts, based on his experiences. I can identify with them, I understand that you and others can't, but you can hardly dismiss everything hes saying.

haranguerer

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 14, 2016, 02:34:03 PM

It betrays a complete lack of any sort of knowledge or understanding of the north, well, certainly any from the nationalist side.

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on April 14, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 02:33:09 PM

It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it should embarrass you.

I didn't hunt by the way, and the whole rest of your reply was tripe. The Brolly comment is obv tongue in cheek, and was quoted as such, and it wasn't much of a leap at all to make from that td's comments. In any event - this is a guy thoughts, based on his experiences. I can identify with them, I understand that you and others can't, but you can hardly dismiss everything hes saying.

You keep telling me what I can and can't dismiss and even what I should feel. Just like he did.

If it is ok with you, I'll decide for myself thanks.

As for your defence of his leap from the TDs comment, well fair enough. But you accuse me of tripe and then defend this rubbish based on her stupid comment:

"Perhaps such hostile reactions amount to victim-blaming as a means of deflecting from southern feelings of semi-responsibility, failure (to create a 32-county republic) or guilt (over partition and the abandonment of northerners)."

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on April 14, 2016, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 14, 2016, 02:34:03 PM

It betrays a complete lack of any sort of knowledge or understanding of the north, well, certainly any from the nationalist side.

Yes because it certainly has never had anything to do with religion. 

God forbid.

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

So are all Catholics in the 6 Cos now Unionists or are All Nationalists now Agnostics/ Protestant/Atheists or what?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM