Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 29, 2016, 12:21:32 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2016, 12:11:53 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 28, 2016, 11:56:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2016, 11:54:34 PM

Yerra, minors are minors.

Next year they are. After that some minors aren't minors at all

I know. What I meant was underage stuff can be great to watch but even on the better teams few enough players make the cut at senior.
For a 3rd year in a row Kerry are dominating the U18 grade be it county or schools level. They should get more than a few to make the cut at senior level in the years ahead.

They need them too. It could be hot-house flower stuff after years when they didn t do well at underage and got themselves organised.
A lot of this senior Kerry team are going to finish up at the same time. A big ask to replace them with a raft of kids and keep punching at the highest level.

ashman

The reality is barring a seismic shift Kerry and Dublin will probably be in the senior final next year .  Kerry could regress and still be there .  Next year the semis will be Leinster v Ulster & Munster v Connaught .  Kerry will have time to bed any decent minors in .

moysider

Quote from: ashman on August 29, 2016, 01:12:52 AM
The reality is barring a seismic shift Kerry and Dublin will probably be in the senior final next year .  Kerry could regress and still be there .  Next year the semis will be Leinster v Ulster & Munster v Connaught .  Kerry will have time to bed any decent minors in .

Mayo won the minor 3 years ago and only one has made the step up so far from that. There wont be many more that will. Often a successful minor team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Either this year or next Kerry have to replace Donaghy, Gooch, O Mahony, Sheehan, Marc, Walsh. Johnny Buckley seems to have run out of legs as well.

This is probably the biggest transition Kerry have had to make in 30 years.

Pateen was talking the fight today but some of those lads are not going to be replaced overnight.

galwayman

It will be a big ask for our lads to topple that Kerry team

Zulu

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2016, 01:35:19 AM
Quote from: ashman on August 29, 2016, 01:12:52 AM

Mayo won the minor 3 years ago and only one has made the step up so far from that. There wont be many more that will. Often a successful minor team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Either this year or next Kerry have to replace Donaghy, Gooch, O Mahony, Sheehan, Marc, Walsh. Johnny Buckley seems to have run out of legs as well.

This is probably the biggest transition Kerry have had to make in 30 years.

Pateen was talking the fight today but some of those lads are not going to be replaced overnight.

Don't think many people expected most of that Mayo minor winning team to come through. This Kerry team appear to exceptional however and a lot of their players look like they have what it takes to step up. I'd expect a number of the Kerry minor players to come through and with a lot of them being forwards they should help Kerry return to winning ways in the next few years.   

Maroon Manc

Looks like an exceptional Kerry team, would like to think Galway will make it more difficult for them but it would a shock for Galway to beat this team.

There's no guarantee with minor's, U21's gives more of an indication and even then there's no guarantee's. Look its Kerry though and they will produce good players whether they have underage success or not.

ballinaman

Not much talk about this one.
I know they played each other in a challenge match earlier in the year. Not sure how it went.
Mulkerrin at FB from Aran Islands vs Clifford should be a good battle. Evan Murphy at 11 makes has making of a good player, great striker of the ball but Kerry will know all about his outside of the right passes at this stage.
Tannion has Galway well drilled defensively, choked us effectively in the Connacht final. I'd give Galway a shout, be great to see them do it.

galwayman

Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2016, 10:09:35 AM
I know they played each other in a challenge match earlier in the year. Not sure how it went.
Mulkerrin at FB from Aran Islands vs Clifford should be a good battle. Evan Murphy at 11 makes has making of a good player, great striker of the ball but Kerry will know all about his outside of the right passes at this stage.
Tannion has Galway well drilled defensively, choked us effectively in the Connacht final. I'd give Galway a shout, be great to see them do it.
I've seen Galway play a few times between league and championship - have only seen bits of the Kerry semi final win over Kildare but by all accounts they're a very impressive team.
It's funny Kerry did very little at minor level post their AI win over us in 1994 until 2 years ago but seem to be absolutely flying it now.
I hope our lads do themselves justice on the day win or lose.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway minor team to play Kerry

Cormac Haslam (Glenamaddy)

Liam Boyle (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
Seán Mulkerrin (Oileáin Árann)
Eoin McFadden (Salthill-Knocknacarra)

Adam Quirke (Annaghdown)
Ernán McDonagh (Bearna)
Fionnán Garvey (Monivea-Abbey)

Céin D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
John Maher  (Salthill-Knocknacarra)

Finian Ó' Laoi (An Spidéal)
Evan Murphy (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
Ryan Forde (Annaghdown)

Robert Finnerty (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
Seán Raftery (Glenamaddy)
Desmond Conneely (Moycullen)

galwayman

Surprised Barry Goldrick isn't on the team.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: galwayman on September 15, 2016, 11:37:48 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2016, 10:09:35 AM
I've seen Galway play a few times between league and championship - have only seen bits of the Kerry semi final win over Kildare but by all accounts they're a very impressive team.
It's funny Kerry did very little at minor level post their AI win over us in 1994 until 2 years ago but seem to be absolutely flying it now.
I hope our lads do themselves justice on the day win or lose.

That's not entirely accurate. Kerry lost AI minor finals in both 1996 and 2004 by a kick of a ball.  The 1997 team lost a semi final replay to Tyrone that remains one of the best games I've ever seen. 23-21 after ET I think it was. 98-2003 were poor enough despite some exceptional talent, due in no small part to poor underage standard of coaching and bad management teams. 2006 was one that was thrown away against Roscommon in the drawn game, with Ross winning the replay. 2007-2013 was again a fallow period.
Second half of the bolded sentence is certainly accurate though. Next years minor squad (7 underage from this year, including Clifford) is every bit as strong as any of the last 3.

Having looked at the Galway v Donegal semi, it wouldn't surprise me if this game were tight at half-time and well into the second half. Hopefully the firepower our lads possess will see them over the line.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Zulu

Galway look the much better team so far but they can't creat decent scoring chances. Both teams look like classy outfits but scoring is proving difficult.

Captain Obvious

This Kerry minor team have a keen eye for goals. 21 minutes it took Galway to score not looking good for the Connacht teens.

GalwayBayBoy

The size of Clifford and Shaw in the Kerry full-forward line the main difference between the sides. They are winning a lot in the air up there between them. Bit unlucky for the first Kerry goal mind as it was a point attempt that dropped short.

Itchy

Mass defence ruining this game. How long before it's the norm at all underage levels?