Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Mikhailov on April 11, 2016, 10:19:33 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 11, 2016, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 11, 2016, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 11, 2016, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 11, 2016, 12:30:02 PM
Quote from: highorlow on April 11, 2016, 10:07:12 AM
QuoteOnce again Dustin had the chance to win  (imo) at the end. Chance for birdie missed (hard putt I know ) and then hits the bunker next hole. Switched telly off and went to bed.
Will back him again for the next major again just in case.

Yes he is the one that should be more pissed off than anyone. If he sank 1/3rd of his 10 footers all week he would have romped this. He missed an eagle putt on the 15th also after an incredible 2nd shot through the branches. Someone on here says he doesn't have balls to win one then take another look at that shot. If he ever gets his putter going in majors he will start winning them handy. I'll keep backing him.

I don't think it's anything to do with balls on Johnsons part, he had a similarly brilliant shot on the 18th at Chambers Bay last year but missed the putts. And that's the problem, he isn't a good enough putter. I do think he will win majors but he will need to improve his putting.

Agreed. I hate this theory in sport that if anyone doesn't deliver somehow they don't have any balls.... Perhaps there are aspects of their game that just ain't good enough. In Johnson's case its his putting!

I think Johnson is by far a better putter than McIlroy. So Dustin's lack of majors must also be attributable to other factors.

McIlroy i feel is the sort of player that has to be razor hot in order to win. Much like Tiger when he is he blows the field away. I could never see Rory digging out a win at Augusta.

I agree on DJ - it is not lack of balls, it is down to poor putting under pressure. He is a streaky putter but not consistent enough. When he wins 1 major he could potentially end up half a dozen.

I will certainly stick by him - he owes me nothing and I love watching him - his 2nd on 15 last night was awesome to say the least and that took balls.

As for Rory - he plays crap, puts like shit, was poor mentally and ended up only 6 behind.....his problem is not his game or his ability - it is down to his caddie. JP is nowhere near strong enough to handle a superstar and order and advise him what to do. Rory should hire Steve Williams immediately for 20 weeks a year - that would sort the thing out !!!
[/quothe
Williams is a racist bully, why would he associate with a tr**p like that?

Give me fluff anyway.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Applesisapples

What happened with Speith can happen to any golfer at any level, its what makes golf such a great game and such a frustrating game at the same time. Willet is a decent player but not one I'd have pegged to win a major, but sure if Clarke can...Speith will be back stronger for this. At the end of the day he is only 22. He can think his way around a course and is not a gym bunny relying on big hits.

Unlaoised

Don't like that Willet guy has a head you could put in Chain armour and the white suit with the st georges cross on it....

Thought he celebrated a bit too early and all the goings on with his phone....
LAOIS ABÚ

mikehunt

Quote from: Minder on April 11, 2016, 10:29:55 PM
Think your overestimating a caddies importance. Obviously the caddy doesent hit the shot but JP isn't some fella McIlroy got out of the pub to caddy for him. He is an experienced caddy and used to caddy for Els and Els spoke highly of him apparently. Think people are very quick to apportion blame to JP when McIlroy plays like shit. And Rory seems ruthless enough that if he thought JP was holding him back he would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Agree about DJ, would love to see him win a major.

Heard some hack on Off the Ball making that point. Rory is strong willed and will do what he wants. Doesn't want a caddie debating shot choice with him, wants him for yardage etc. Some players like Spieth prefer to discuss shots with caddie.

Gabriel_Hurl

Boycey

Quote from: mikehunt on April 12, 2016, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 11, 2016, 10:29:55 PM
Think your overestimating a caddies importance. Obviously the caddy doesent hit the shot but JP isn't some fella McIlroy got out of the pub to caddy for him. He is an experienced caddy and used to caddy for Els and Els spoke highly of him apparently. Think people are very quick to apportion blame to JP when McIlroy plays like shit. And Rory seems ruthless enough that if he thought JP was holding him back he would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Agree about DJ, would love to see him win a major.

Heard some hack on Off the Ball making that point. Rory is strong willed and will do what he wants. Doesn't want a caddie debating shot choice with him, wants him for yardage etc. Some players like Spieth prefer to discuss shots with caddie.

A really good point of view on the subject from a guy that'd know more than most.

http://www.balls.ie/golf/a-sea-of-golf-experts-turn-up-for-majors-irish-caddy-colin-byrne-on-mcilroy-caddy-criticism/330356

sans pessimism

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 12, 2016, 04:55:04 PM
Don't like that Willet guy has a head you could put in Chain armour and the white suit with the st georges cross on it....

If his name was Paddy o Hara, people wud love him-He's a breath of fresh air who played like he owned the joint-fair pucks to him
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sans pessimism on April 12, 2016, 11:15:56 PM

If his name was Paddy o Hara, people wud love him-He's a breath of fresh air who played like he owned the joint-fair pucks to him

Listen if he was Irish you'd have ones on here hating him....

Rory lost cause he'd a shit two days... When he wins he's played well over the 4 days.... Could he win more competitions?? Yeah, is it ultimately down to poor caddies or not listening to them? I doubt it very much, because when he wins he must listen to the caddie then, sounds silly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sans pessimism on April 12, 2016, 11:15:56 PM

Aye I'm sure lots of people were waiting for an inevitable collapse from him and he just kept it together. Showed good mental strength when movement in the crowd at the 18th put him off his stride  but he was able to reset his process and hit it straight down the fairway.

screenexile

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/spieth-one-will-hurt/

Just came across this interview... Excruciating but he handled it like a champ!!

My own opinion is he won't make that kind of mistake again. Watch out!!!

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2016, 11:56:47 PM

Just came across this interview... Excruciating but he handled it like a champ!!

It's hard to know. On the one hand he reacted brilliantly with birdies on the next 2 holes. On the other hand he's one of those players who backs off on every shot which says to me he's battling his demons and that aspect is now only going to get much worse.

theskull1

Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2016, 11:56:47 PM

Impressive the way he handled that
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Great composure.... He's 22....  Plenty major tournaments left in him.. Seems though they never play it safe, even though they know its the best thing to do... Arrogance or immaturity?? Probably the latter on his part...

I suppose taking the chances (and they work) makes them the cut above
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No wides

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2016, 08:09:10 AM
Great composure.... He's 22....  Plenty major tournaments left in him.. Seems though they never play it safe, even though they know its the best thing to do... Arrogance or immaturity?? Probably the latter on his part...

You get your wee ball in a hole in 3 to 5 shots, what the f**k chances are you really taking, it's not like he's doing a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre in F1 ffs, he is hitting a tiny ball, this is another "sport" where the players and organisers must pinch themselves at the money they get.  ::)

thewobbler

Quote from: No wides on April 13, 2016, 08:23:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2016, 08:09:10 AM

You get your wee ball in a hole in 3 to 5 shots, what the f**k chances are you really taking, it's not like he's doing a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre in F1 ffs, he is hitting a tiny ball, this is another "sport" where the players and organisers must pinch themselves at the money they get.  ::)

Players and organisers don't dictate prize money. Public interest does. And as there are hundreds of millions of people across the word who understand that maintaining perfect hand eye coordination under immense psychological pressure is beyond the grasp of 99.9% of people, they justify the reward.

By the way, F1 my hole. 90% of every race is decided by equipment (if you have the best equipment and it doesn't fail on the day, then you will be there abouts), 9% by patience. 1% by skilled movements.