National league final day. Tyrone v Cavan

Started by rrhf, April 03, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Black card incident doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things. Cavan could have played 16 v 15 and still not won that game.

redzone

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 24, 2016, 03:16:26 PM
Tyrone current media position as the no.4 in line for sam not evident today, very mediocre and predictable football. Maybe they were holding back but that would not be Mickey Hartes mo.

Our big problem is we have been stuck in div 2 all year and bad habits have creeped in. On that performance we wouldn't trouble Dublin or Kerry. But I suppose we weren't playin Dublin or Kerry today. I'd like to think we'd rise our game if we were.

Throw ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 24, 2016, 03:14:26 PM
Quote from: AQMP on April 24, 2016, 03:12:34 PM
Deliberate trip by the Cavan player, black card all day long.

Would agree with this, an extremely lazy and stupid tackle from the Cavan player. His leg is dangled out there right across McMahon so he can have little complaint.

For the life of me I cannot see how that is even close to a red card. I can see why a black was given but think it was a yellow. The Cavan player tried to go for the ball and was late. To be black the referee has to deem this deliberate. I didn't think it was but agree it was borderline.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 24, 2016, 03:16:49 PM
Three years ago, Cavan looked like a raw team with a certain amount of potential that, if polished and enhanced, could bridge a gap and perhaps see them challenging the top sides.

Three years later, we seem to be stuck in precisely the same position. In fact this game was almost a carbon copy of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Kerry - a gamey enough, proud, stoic effort in some respects from Cavan but there was the distinct impression that the superior team was not in top gear at all and was keeping them at arm's length throughout. The hope was that Cavan would push on after 2013 but on today's evidence, not so - Cavan are still a nearly team with many positives to comfort them but yet, a long way off, and displaying no real evidence that they have the craft or know how to step up out of the chasing pack. We'll give a few teams a fright this summer maybe, but Cavan look to have plateau'd and unless today proves a massive learning experience that rewrites the script, we won't be forcing that curve upwards any time soon.

Well done Tyrone. Better, cuter, craftier, wilier, more experienced on the field and the line, and fully deserved winners.

Tyrone are a Croke Park team, they like the pace the pitch plays at the space that opens up as a result. If this game was in Clones, Omagh or Breffni Park it would be a much closer fought game. Felt we were comfortable enough today and Cavan have added a bit more physicality this year compared to previous year which will make them a sterner test.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on April 24, 2016, 03:24:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 24, 2016, 03:14:26 PM
Quote from: AQMP on April 24, 2016, 03:12:34 PM
Deliberate trip by the Cavan player, black card all day long.

Would agree with this, an extremely lazy and stupid tackle from the Cavan player. His leg is dangled out there right across McMahon so he can have little complaint.

For the life of me I cannot see how that is even close to a red card. I can see why a black was given but think it was a yellow. The Cavan player tried to go for the ball and was late. To be black the referee has to deem this deliberate. I didn't think it was but agree it was borderline.

I don't think it was a red but it was a certain black card.

It was a deliberate trip, completely needless and stupid from the Cavan player, McMahon beat him to the ball and he dangled out a lazy foot across him to bring him down. By the letter of the law, it was a black card.

blewuporstuffed

This is exactly the problem with the black card rule.we have had about 10 people on here now commenting on the challenge,  and it's about 50/50 on whether it was a yellow or a black (and one suggestion it was a red)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AQMP

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 24, 2016, 03:28:36 PM
This is exactly the problem with the black card rule.we have had about 10 people on here now commenting on the challenge,  and it's about 50/50 on whether it was a yellow or a black (and one suggestion it was a red)
Whether he "dangled" his leg or not it was a deliberate action you could see on the replay he looked to see where McMahon was. Clear black.

twohands!!!

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 24, 2016, 03:16:49 PM
Three years ago, Cavan looked like a raw team with a certain amount of potential that, if polished and enhanced, could bridge a gap and perhaps see them challenging the top sides.

Three years later, we seem to be stuck in precisely the same position. In fact this game was almost a carbon copy of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Kerry - a gamey enough, proud, stoic effort in some respects from Cavan but there was the distinct impression that the superior team was not in top gear at all and was keeping them at arm's length throughout. The hope was that Cavan would push on after 2013 but on today's evidence, not so - Cavan are still a nearly team with many positives to comfort them but yet, a long way off, and displaying no real evidence that they have the craft or know how to step up out of the chasing pack. We'll give a few teams a fright this summer maybe, but Cavan look to have plateau'd and unless today proves a massive learning experience that rewrites the script, we won't be forcing that curve upwards any time soon.

Well done Tyrone. Better, cuter, craftier, wilier, more experienced on the field and the line, and fully deserved winners.

Forget about this championship - of far more benefit to Cavan's long-term future is 7 games against Division 1 teams next year in the league.

Compare that to the 7 teams Cavan have played in the Championship since that Kerry game - Monaghan, London, Roscommon,
Armagh, Wesmeath, Roscommon, Armagh - even though those were Championship game there is a serious difference in the quality between the 2 groups.

Il Bomber Destro

moysider

I'd be surprised if there isn't a cracked rib there.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: hardstation on April 24, 2016, 03:48:31 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 24, 2016, 03:44:13 PM
Filthy hit from Crowley there.
Ach it wasn't really. Small tried to jump through him and Crowley turned his body.

Turned his shoulder into a man running at him, really nasty and knew full well what he was at.

ashman

twohands!!!

Kilkenny seems to have Fitzgerald in a world of bother.

moysider

Dublin showing Kerry a lot of repect here. Must be a historical thing. Why don t they have a cut at them like they do other teams.