Why no outrage or multiple threads about this?

Started by T Fearon, March 31, 2016, 08:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Tony you really need to get a new hobby (horse).

imtommygunn

Those questions are horrendous. Horrendous.

How anyone can read them and still think the guy did the right thing is incomprehensible.

A lawyer / barrister would ask them you say. Yes they would in order to get the oerson convicted or not convicted.

Those questions just added serious trauma to an already hugely traumatic saga. For what... Nothing.

What is it now? The justice system may not have convicted him. The prison system may not have reformed him.

What about if they were in jail they would at the very least have had no access to anyone to do any harm for at absolute minimum the period of time they were in jail. Does that mean nothing?

T Fearon

I found those questions difficult,but the boys would have faced a similar line of questioning,and probably worse,had the case been reported and had it gone to court.I think it's fair to say that Sean Brady and the Church itself would admit that their response in the 1970s was woefully inadequate.

There were many opportunities to stop Brendan Smyth,Jimmy Savile and every other predatory paedophile.To blame one person for Brendan Smyth's reign of terror is crass all the same.

imtommygunn

No one has ever solely blamed one person though. He is part of it.

When you, yes you, start a thread on the guy this is what you will get.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on April 04, 2016, 06:43:54 PM
I found those questions difficult,but the boys would have faced a similar line of questioning,and probably worse,had the case been reported and had it gone to court.I think it's fair to say that Sean Brady and the Church itself would admit that their response in the 1970s was woefully inadequate.

There were many opportunities to stop Brendan Smyth,Jimmy Savile and every other predatory paedophile.To blame one person for Brendan Smyth's reign of terror is crass all the same.

To blame parents of the victims and the victims themselves is even more crass especially from one who purports to being a christen!

T Fearon

A christen? If a parent nowadays allowed their children to attend a meeting after being summonsed by adults,without making it their business to find out what was going on,social services would be getting involved

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on April 04, 2016, 09:45:12 PM
A christen? If a parent nowadays allowed their children to attend a meeting after being summonsed by adults,without making it their business to find out what was going on,social services would be getting involved

OK a christian  - that is what you purport to be, why do you think it was OK in "them" days to just move the abuser on?

T Fearon

I didn't say it was ok,it wasn't ok.However it seemed to be the common practice at the time,to turn a blind eye etc,and not deal effectively with the scourge of child abuse

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on April 04, 2016, 10:25:07 PM
I didn't say it was ok,it wasn't ok.However it seemed to be the common practice at the time,to turn a blind eye etc,and not deal effectively with the scourge of child abuse

I don't think people have an issue with that statement, however you must see that people do have an issue with the fact that to detract from Brady's inadequacies as a human being and a christian you have spent years defending the man and pushing blame on the victims and the parents of the victims, do you seriously believe all this you post or are you seriously on the wind?

Keyboard Warrior

Is this post about the child abuse perpetrated by the Doctor? Or about the different emphasis by media/posters?

muppet

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2016, 12:45:02 PM
Is this post about the child abuse perpetrated by the Doctor? Or about the different emphasis by media/posters?

This thread is about a poster using the sexual abuse of one man to justify the covering of of sexual abuse of another. There isn't even a hint of empathy or grief for the victims in either case. In fact, worse than that, the abused families have even been blamed.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

This thread is exposing the irrational anti Catholicism of most posters on this board who continue to blame a 30 something junior cleric,over 40 years ago,for the entire failings of the Catholic Church in terms of child abuse in general.

There were no abused families,there were abused family members, whose parents displayed what would nowadays be termed criminal negligence in their failure to ascertain the reasons why their small children were summoned to a meeting with adult priests,and then,unbelievably drove them to the meeting and allowed them to attend unaccompanied.Thank God my parents weren't remotely negligent like that, and you would have been hard pushed to find more devout Catholic parents than mine.

Eamonnca1

From the rules:

Quote4. Inappropriate posts, incitement or racist posting.
   This is a very broad topic, and can be the most subjective in the way the moderators view things. In general, it would be the 'good manners' rule. Specific examples of
    inappropriate posts would be the following. (This list is by no means conclusive)
      - Abusive posts between fans of soccer teams, clearly not part of good humoured banter. Mentions of Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel or alluding to these incidents in a
        way designed to incite other posters to break forum rules.
      - Sectarian posts, or posts advocating violence against any community or person. Some of the topics under discussion from the different cultures on this island have
        come close to this. That will not be allowed or accomodated.
      - Racist posts, including posts propogating racist views about any race or community.
      - inappropriate posts such as the Maddie McCann jokes etc.

What do you think, boys? Can we sh*tcan this thread on account of Tony's persistent defence of paedophiles?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: T Fearon on April 05, 2016, 11:05:57 PM
This thread is exposing the irrational anti Catholicism of most posters on this board who continue to blame a 30 something junior cleric,over 40 years ago,for the entire failings of the Catholic Church in terms of child abuse in general.

There were no abused families,there were abused family members, whose parents displayed what would nowadays be termed criminal negligence in their failure to ascertain the reasons why their small children were summoned to a meeting with adult priests,and then,unbelievably drove them to the meeting and allowed them to attend unaccompanied.Thank God my parents weren't remotely negligent like that, and you would have been hard pushed to find more devout Catholic parents than mine.

So Sean Brady wasnt negligent, but the boys family was?
Is taht what youa re saying Tony?

Plus all this 'young priest' BS when defending brady, he was in his mid 30s FFS. If you cant make the right moral judgement at that age, you will never be able to.
I am in my mid 30s now, i certainly would never try and use my age as a defence for anything.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rosnarun

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 06, 2016, 08:33:13 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 05, 2016, 11:05:57 PM

So Sean Brady wasnt negligent, but the boys family was?
Is taht what youa re saying Tony?

Plus all this 'young priest' BS when defending brady, he was in his mid 30s FFS. If you cant make the right moral judgement at that age, you will never be able to.
I am in my mid 30s now, i certainly would never try and use my age as a defence for anything.

I think tony has a good point here ,
why if the family believed a crime had taken place would they not bring it to the authorities ?
is it because they like the church thought it would be swept under the carpet and not have to deal with it themselves?

more worryingly is that figure mentioned earlier  that 4% of father abuse their children much like priests. on a rough estimate of 1 million men of parenting age that would leave at least 40,000 active pedophiles in the country .now there a heading for the sunday world .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere