Rossies v the Dubs, being played somewhere next Sunday.

Started by giveballaghback, March 28, 2016, 12:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2016, 06:04:17 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on April 05, 2016, 04:52:13 PM
The following is an extract from my latest work "Cognitive Dissonance in the GAA"

"Bleedin' Dubs never travel....
Great to get the oul Dubs with the big wallets down the night before, the eejits....
Jaysis, have to move the match, sure stick the one bus on for them they'll be grand....
Wha, they got charged a tenner? Good enough for them, sure they never have to travel anyway....
Hope the train isn't clamped, ha, ha, ha....
Jaysis, those Dubs get lost when they get by the Red Cow, sure there is none of them down this year, bleedin' Dubs...."

Both sets of supporters who tried to attend the game deserve an apology and, when appropriate, a refund from the Roscommon County Board. That's just manners and they are cheap at the price. Ignorance is expensive.

No one is owed a refund.

Dead right, otherwise I and others who are nearer Carrick than Ros town will have to pay the Ci Board the difference.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Didn't those with tickets that couldn't get to Carrick get refunded?

weareros

Should we do a church gate collection or have Brendan Shine do a benefit gig? I fear the Jacks will be griping about this tenner forever.

Shrewdness

Even if there was an offer to refund the 10 euro to those who paid it, there`s one big problem.
How can any individual Dublin supporter, at this stage, prove that they paid 10 euros.
Did they get a receipt?....No?...

easytiger95

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 06, 2016, 09:05:24 AM
Even if there was an offer to refund the 10 euro to those who paid it, there`s one big problem.
How can any individual Dublin supporter, at this stage, prove that they paid 10 euros.
Did they get a receipt?....No?...

I said in my original post that refunds should be made available if appropriate, so first of all you have to investigate whether it was the County Board's fault, and secondly, anyone applying for a refund must have receipts. That's only common sense and no one was suggesting blanket, non receipted refunds. But please, don't let that stop you implying that I was.

Quote from: weareros on April 06, 2016, 01:17:17 AM
Should we do a church gate collection or have Brendan Shine do a benefit gig? I fear the Jacks will be griping about this tenner forever.

Perhaps there would be less "griping" if the officials in Roscommon and also some posters on this board had displayed a modicum of manners. The county board should have apologized immediately and the posters on here should look at the title of the message board - "GAA Discussion". The people affected by this Omni-shambles were GAA fans and members, and shouldn't be looked on differently because they are from one particular county. I would say that the depth of the ignorance displayed is unbelievable - but sadly, given the way this board has gone over the past couple of years, it is just part of a growing trend.

AZOffaly

People having a go because it is the 'Dubs' are missing the point. Roscommon (or the CCC) probably delayed over moving this game in order to try their best to get the game, and the monetary boost, into Roscommon GAA and Roscommon town. From a certain point of view that is understandable. However, on Saturday, when it became obvious that the ground was dodgy at best, and more rain was forecast, they should have bit the bullet then.

To not do so showed scant regard for people actually trying to attend a game of Football, and the same people would be some of the GAA's most dedicated fans (a league game in Roscommon in early April, with the game itself a dead rubber). Regardless of the county, to treat *those* people like that is fairly ramshackle in my view.

Zulu

To be fair to some of the Roscommon posters here they haven't defended their CB's handling of this and as AZ said, you would have some sympathy for them trying to retain an economic boost within their county. However, it was still a shambles and poorly handled by the board and anyone not acknowledging that is being idiotic. An apology to all fans and a genuine effort to reimburse fans who need to be is the least Roscommon CB can do.

I presume anyone being flippant about this are just trying to wind up the Dub posters here, if not they need to wise up.

Rossfan

Over the years I travelled to a number of games that were called off at the last minute or close to throw in.
Am I entitled to refunds of the cost of  petrol/ diesel used?

As for last Sundays game it really should have been officially switched Saturday evening.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2016, 11:05:25 AM
Over the years I travelled to a number of games that were called off at the last minute or close to throw in.

As for last Sundays game it really should have been officially switched Saturday evening.

That's all I'm saying. I don't blame them for trying their best to host in the Hyde, but the call should have (and easily could have) been made on Saturday evening.

Shrewdness

Easytiger95, i wasn't implying that you called for blanket refunds. That's why i said receipts were needed, which was a problem...Somebody definitely messed up on Sunday. We're all agreed on that.

easytiger95

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 06, 2016, 11:20:20 AM
Easytiger95, i wasn't implying that you called for blanket refunds. That's why i said receipts were needed, which was a problem...Somebody definitely messed up on Sunday. We're all agreed on that.
Ok fair enough

easytiger95

Firstly, you would be entitled for a refund on your match ticket as the game was cancelled. This was not the case this weekend.
Secondly, you would not be entitled for a refund on your travelling cost to the original fixture, and no Dublin fan is going to the Roscommon County board with train tickets or petrol receipts.
Thirdly, as the game was refixed for the same time at a venue further away, the County Board does have a duty of care of transporting or arranging transport for the fans from the original venue. If this means good communication and travel advice, then they should do so. If they promised complimentary bus travel to the second venue and were unclear about the number of buses involved or who the official County Board bus operator was, then, again, there would be good grounds for a refund to the fans who availed of the paying service. But we don't know what the real story was, because the County Board is not investigating, far less apologizing, and if any other sports body in Ireland did it, we'd be laughing ourselves stupid.

That is the point, and no amount of straw man arguments like the one above, changes those facts.

The Ros board undoubtedly had a hard choice to make, and we can definitely argue with the timing of their decision, but once they made it, they should have been prepared to implement it. They weren't and if they'd had the cop on to admit it and apologize, most decent fans would have moved on very quickly.

Zulu

To be fair Rossfan, not too many national league games get switched in the morning of a
the game and not every league game would have the crowd that was attending your game last Sunday. With the game in serious doubt all week a contingency plan for informing and transporting all fans that required it to Carrick should have been in place. Complimentary buses picking up fans from the train station and the town was the least that should have been done.

A guy with his kid travelling down from Dublin by train last Sunday may well have spent in the region of €100 on the day, those overnighting a good deal more. So if a last minute change, that was always likely, was made those people should have been treated with more consideration that the Roscommon CB seem to have done.

Rossfan

OK on your last para Zulu.
March 2015 our game v Meath was called off at 1 pm.
Many Meathies plus long distance Ros fans were in town or near it at that time.

Canalman

Can sort of see where Roscommon CB were at here. They have probably "hit" local businesses in Roscommon town for donations etc over the years and couldn't be seen to transfer game away too early.

Thought they should have said well in advance that CoS was the alternate venue and that game in HP was subject to a pitch inspection. There could be no whingeing then .

Thing that grated Dubs (from what I hear) was the fact that all and sundry were telling them on the Saturday night that game was in Leitrim. Sort of laughing at them.