Indian Wells CEO Raymond Moore quits after 'sexist' comments

Started by No wides, March 22, 2016, 08:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35868662

He is entitled to his opinion, in my view a well warranted opinion, do professional sportswomen in any other sport get paid the same as men?

seafoid

Quote from: No wides on March 22, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35868662

He is entitled to his opinion, in my view a well warranted opinion, do professional sportswomen in any other sport get paid the same as men?
Doesn't matter if enough women disagree

mikehunt

As the female players seem to be all about equality of pay then they should have no problem with unisex competitions for the Grand Slams.

nrico2006

Women shouldn't be getting paid the same, their matches are usually shorter and they aren't as popular.  It's not a case of sexism, if it was the other way about then men should get less.  Purely business. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 22, 2016, 09:10:50 AM
Women shouldn't be getting paid the same, their matches are usually shorter and they aren't as popular.  It's not a case of sexism, if it was the other way about then men should get less.  Purely business.
I agree with you.
But I would have to say, his comments and choice of words were very misguided and were always going to cause a stir.
It was daft in the extreme to day what he did at a press conference.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

Ever go to Wimbledon?

I was there once and I'd estimate that attendance wise there were roughly 2 women for every one man, so if the male tennis game is more popular than the womens, its because female tennis fans chose to go watch the men rather than the women!!

I preferred the womans games myself (except for Lindsay Davenport)..

screenexile

Quote from: johnneycool on March 22, 2016, 09:20:16 AM

Ever go to Wimbledon?

I was there once and I'd estimate that attendance wise there were roughly 2 women for every one man, so if the male tennis game is more popular than the womens, its because female tennis fans chose to go watch the men rather than the women!!

That's not the point. . . try and separate the tour into women and men's and see how the money gets distributed!!!

No wides

Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2016, 09:46:57 AM

Ever go to Wimbledon?

That's not the point. . . try and separate the tour into women and men's and see how the money gets distributed!!!

Nail on head.

johnneycool

Ever go to Wimbledon?

I'm not in disagreement with you, the point I was making is that the reason the male game is more dominant than the female game is to do with the female fans not supporting the female game as much as they do the male game, just from my snapshot observations!

Gabriel_Hurl

Ever go to Wimbledon?

Pretty sure the 2 tours are separated - outside the 4 majors - there aren't many places were the men and women play at the same venue

Dinny Breen

It's almost like Tennis is trying to deflect from other issues within their game..
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

So how do they track what men and women should be getting paid then, if its only about interest?

Women's tennis was far more entertaining than men's for 15 to 20 years. During the Sampras era, it was all about power serving, with little in the way of rallies every taking place. Right now you've got a bunch of potential all time greats on the men's tour. It won't always be that way, and the perceived quality will swing back towards women's tennis again.

No wides

Quote from: J70 on March 22, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
So how do they track what men and women should be getting paid then, if its only about interest?

Women's tennis was far more entertaining than men's for 15 to 20 years. During the Sampras era, it was all about power serving, with little in the way of rallies every taking place. Right now you've got a bunch of potential all time greats on the men's tour. It won't always be that way, and the perceived quality will swing back towards women's tennis again.

Surely it is only about interest, if no one is interested what's the point.

J70

Quote from: No wides on March 22, 2016, 03:12:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 22, 2016, 12:44:06 PM

Surely it is only about interest, if no one is interested what's the point.

Of course, but the perceived quality (and thus interest) ebbs and flows between the two, so are you all suggesting that the prize money track that? Or that men get more because (as someone alluded to above with the unisex proposal) they're physically more powerful. Or is it because their games are longer?

Serena Williams is the biggest draw at the US Open.

rosnarun

In women only tournaments versus men only even the Prize money for women is substantially lower.
I think that's what he meant by riding on the coat tails.
Unisex competitions would only serve to humiliate
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere