Next Government for the 26?

Started by muppet, March 16, 2016, 03:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Maybe Minister for Taxes might be a better option >:( ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Michael Healy-Rae ruled himself out of the running for Minister for Rural Affairs: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/michael-healy-rae-rules-himself-out-of-the-running-for-minister-for-rural-affairs-723857.html

But notably not the position of Taoiseach!
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 04:22:45 PM
Michael Healy-Rae ruled himself out of the running for Minister for Rural Affairs: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/michael-healy-rae-rules-himself-out-of-the-running-for-minister-for-rural-affairs-723857.html

But notably not the position of Taoiseach!
I heard he wants to be ministher for paddywhackery and begob. 

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 03:16:55 PM
How about this for a start?

http://www.joe.ie/news/mick-wallace-wants-to-be-irelands-first-minister-for-housing/535207

I think someone has been reading Seafoid's posts!
He could also be minister for sustainable growth. I was at a meeting in the Gaeltacht in February and there was huge support for a social housing programme.

smelmoth

If FF and FG take the risk of a second election so that they can belatedly decide that there is no option but to do a deal "for the good of the country" is there any chance that this will backfire with people voting differently or a significant number just not voting at all?

seafoid

Quote from: smelmoth on March 19, 2016, 10:41:02 PM
If FF and FG take the risk of a second election so that they can belatedly decide that there is no option but to do a deal "for the good of the country" is there any chance that this will backfire with people voting differently or a significant number just not voting at all?
they will probably try to patch something up to keep things ticking over for 18 months.Political instability is not what the country needs right now.

rrhf

Quote from: smelmoth on March 19, 2016, 10:41:02 PM
Fianna Fail have more growth potential in opposition than in Government.  Going in will enable their rivals SF to directly attack them.  Staying outside and parking the bus for another 12 - 18 months lets them build themselves up for power.  Fine Gael, I suspect will hold together the alliance in power and run the country but it will be pulled down after 1 year.  During that year I suspect Adams will move aside and Sinn Fein momentum from fresh leadership has the potential to enable massive growth, however with its main target beside them in opposition that growth will be stunted.  Is there an eventual government between FF and SF in the future - I would imagine not but stranger things have happened.
Can Fine Gael go in with all the independents and make it work, potentially yes but the risk for their opposition is that they will achieve great success and flourish with all sides towing the line in the national interest.  The next 2 years in Irsh politics will be interesting indeed.  Is it crazy to think that  within a few years the "starved North" will look south for increased power,political alignments and economic opportunity for their peoples with the Tories so strong,   and I am not simply referring to what we define as nationalist parties?  Could a  repositioning in Irish NIrish politics in a few years could see unholy alliances between FG and UUP, SF and DUP, FF and SDLP, just a thought...Politicians initially strive for power on principles but then principles become secondary to retaining and building power.   

Hardy

Heal-Rae Minister for Rural Affairs?

Where's that Spanish houses-for-sale brochure again?

magpie seanie

The Healy Raes of this world are well down the list of problems in Ireland, believe me. Very clever guys.

Rossfan

Only politicians I've heard talking sense recently were Healy-Rae and Mattie McGrath.

general_lee

A rousing endorsement right there. They're eejits

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2016, 09:55:12 PM
Only politicians I've heard talking sense recently were Healy-Rae and Mattie McGrath.

The fact that politicians are being elected on local issues in a national election just goes to show how emasculated local government has become - take a bow, Jack Lynch!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2016, 09:19:26 PM
The Healy Raes of this world are well down the list of problems in Ireland, believe me. Very clever guys.

In fairness, MS, I have yet to read or hear anyone say that they weren't. Well established that they and their organization is extremely smart and media savvy.

Rossfan

Quote from: Canalman on March 24, 2016, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2016, 09:19:26 PM

In fairness, MS, I have yet to read or hear anyone say that they weren't. Well established that they and their organization is extremely smart and media savvy.

Read General Lee's post 2 or 3 above your own!!