[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 28, 2016, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 03:07:00 AM
Quote from: Beffs on March 28, 2016, 02:22:15 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 02:08:24 AM
Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.

They're in the semis. They have a brilliant scoring differential and, they have the head to head advantage against all three of Donegal, Kerry and Cork.

You're right, some counties have a nightmare day out, the first time they face the Dubs in Croker. But in the grand scheme of things, it's better to get it out of the way, in a half empty Croke Park, in April, in a game that doesn't really matter, facing a half empty Hill. You don't really want to be doing it, in white hot heat of an AI champo game in the summer.

Anyway, based on what we saw in the Kerry, Donegal & Cork games, I don't think that the Rossies will suffer from the same kinds of Croke Park stage fright that some other counties have.

Hey, what ever! Just in recent seasons Derry and Cork have had their summers ruined before they had even began by nightmare League performances in Croker.

Looking at the standings it looks like Kerry v Roscommon in one of the semis is a strong possibility in the 2nd versus 3rd semi , which might be a bit of a problem for the Rossies as I could see Kerry being out for revenge big time since Kerry got dog's abuse for their performance in Killarney.

Kerry are a damn sight lesser of a team than Dublin. I'd have no issues getting another league game against a top team on a proper surface. It would make up for yesterday.

muppet

Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.

They're in the semis. They have a brilliant scoring differential and, they have the head to head advantage against all three of Donegal, Kerry and Cork.

You're right, some counties have a nightmare day out, the first time they face the Dubs in Croker. But in the grand scheme of things, it's better to get it out of the way, in a half empty Croke Park, in April, in a game that doesn't really matter, facing a half empty Hill. You don't really want to be doing it, in white hot heat of an AI champo game in the summer.

Anyway, based on what we saw in the Kerry, Donegal & Cork games, I don't think that the Rossies will suffer from the same kinds of Croke Park stage fright that some other counties have.

Hey, what ever! Just in recent seasons Derry and Cork have had their summers ruined before they had even began by nightmare League performances in Croker.

Looking at the standings it looks like Kerry v Roscommon in one of the semis is a strong possibility in the 2nd versus 3rd semi , which might be a bit of a problem for the Rossies as I could see Kerry being out for revenge big time since Kerry got dog's abuse for their performance in Killarney.

2007 & 2010 we got to the League Final. Didn't go very well after that in either year.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 28, 2016, 11:24:23 AM

2007 & 2010 we got to the League Final. Didn't go very well after that in either year.

Mayo losing a big final in Croker? Never.

Ballaghman

Quote from: larryin89 on March 28, 2016, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 28, 2016, 09:30:11 AM
I think Ros would give any team a good game on a decent pitch, and unlike Derry in the league afew years ago, it's not based on shutting up.shop and wearing teams down.

Mayo posters aren't being very generous to their neighbours in acknowledging their away wins v Kerry, Cork and Donegal. If Mayo had won those they'd be talking about All Irelands in March.

Let's see how the rest of the league pans out

Hang on ta f**k Will ya ffs. We simply don't know how Roscommon will fare in championship. I was there yesterday obviously and to me I'd be concerned if I were a Rossie , we could of won by 12/14 points if our shooting boots were on , tis all right saying Mayo don't have forwards blah blah and going with every fuckin line the usual suspects throw out at criticising Mayo but they forget how we have blitzed teams with big scores over the past few years . Rochford is piecing a team together for the summer and ejits like myself included have been wrong to be overly concerned at league performances with a bit more luck we could of easily won all our games bar cork where we were just awful that day.

I walked away from Hyde park like everyone else with any cop on about Gaelic football from either side knowing Mayo are still likely to hold onto the Nestor cup for a record breaking sixth time on the trot and people need to appreciate this team , they are a special bunch of players .
Sums up how I felt yesterday too Larry. I wouldn't judge what Roch has or hasn't brought to the party yet. After next Sunday is when the real work will start and he'll have time to work on systems and a style of play without league points to worry about.
Someone said we're not being generous to our neighbours. The thing is, we've been there before. Flying in the league, getting carried away and come summer, nothing to show for it. Not going to talk about Roscommons chances any further as it seems to be offending our neighbours but let's see how it plays out in the summer.
Syf you might be right about Mayo and wells and buckets of water and baggage and luggage and whatever other metaphor you're having, again time will tell. I agree Dublin are the team to beat and I absolutely believe we can beat them, it might be a 4 out of 10 chance but definitely possible. For now we need to focus on a much more competitive Connacht championship. Setting out to win a 6th in a row is where it starts again and take it from there.

Rudi

James Horan yet again joining the bandwagon and taking a swipe at us. Should keep his mouth shut, he is a member of a not so elite band of mouth pieces that have failed to get Mayo over the line. Roscommon are no where near Mayo, but it was not our fault Mayo kicked wide after wide and only won by 4 points despite adapting better to the conditions and having a huge amount of the ball. No wonder he never won an all Ireland when his analysis is clouded by hatred and not clarity of thinking.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2016, 12:47:48 AM
Four. Pitch is fine,  not been a game on it since October.  A damn sight better than Mayo's mud pit..

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2016, 07:35:13 PM
Daly,  Connolly,  Senan all injured. Didn't start the U21s either which was probably the right call with the mess of a pitch.

Running with the hare and the hounds on the state of the pitch Syf?

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 28, 2016, 02:32:40 PM
Four. Pitch is fine,  not been a game on it since October.  A damn sight better than Mayo's mud pit..

Daly,  Connolly,  Senan all injured. Didn't start the U21s either which was probably the right call with the mess of a pitch.

You'll notice the time of the first post.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2016, 02:51:05 PM

You'll notice who posted it! ;D ;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

IolarCoisCuain

I did. I noticed the time of this one too.

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2016, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 27, 2016, 02:46:45 PM
Pitch is a disgrace

It's grand. Better than your Prenty pitch.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 28, 2016, 03:19:52 PM

I did. I noticed the time of this one too.

Quote from: Syferus on March 27, 2016, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 27, 2016, 02:46:45 PM
Pitch is a disgrace

It's grand. Better than your Prenty pitch.

Again notice the time.

Jinxy

We can send ye over a load of sand from PT if that'll help.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2016, 04:42:32 PM

I would hate to think what ye might have buried under that!
MWWSI 2017

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: muppet on March 28, 2016, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2016, 04:42:32 PM

I would hate to think what ye might have buried under that!
Few Mayo bodies from 1996 maybe