[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 02:08:24 AM
Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.
I think Roscommon are already into the knockout stages and where they will likely play Kerry.

Beffs

Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.

They're in the semis. They have a brilliant scoring differential and, they have the head to head advantage against all three of Donegal, Kerry and Cork.

You're right, some counties have a nightmare day out, the first time they face the Dubs in Croker. But in the grand scheme of things, it's better to get it out of the way, in a half empty Croke Park, in April, in a game that doesn't really matter, facing a half empty Hill. You don't really want to be doing it, in white hot heat of an AI champo game in the summer.

Anyway, based on what we saw in the Kerry, Donegal & Cork games, I don't think that the Rossies will suffer from the same kinds of Croke Park stage fright that some other counties have.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on March 28, 2016, 02:22:15 AM

They're in the semis. They have a brilliant scoring differential and, they have the head to head advantage against all three of Donegal, Kerry and Cork.

You're right, some counties have a nightmare day out, the first time they face the Dubs in Croker. But in the grand scheme of things, it's better to get it out of the way, in a half empty Croke Park, in April, in a game that doesn't really matter, facing a half empty Hill. You don't really want to be doing it, in white hot heat of an AI champo game in the summer.

Anyway, based on what we saw in the Kerry, Donegal & Cork games, I don't think that the Rossies will suffer from the same kinds of Croke Park stage fright that some other counties have.

Hey, what ever! Just in recent seasons Derry and Cork have had their summers ruined before they had even began by nightmare League performances in Croker.

Ballaghman

Based on what, playing those teams in a half empty pairc ui rinn etc? Ross were intimidated by Mayo today, on their home patch. Playing Dublin in front of a full house and they would be destroyed. Ross are an up and coming team and will be contenders (as much as Monaghan are anyway) but saying a full Croke Park won't affect them is nonsense imo. Only Mayo, Kerry and Donegal have proven they can handle that atmosphere in last 3/4 years. That's why we're called the big 4, want to join the club, earn it.

Mclf

Awesome performance by an almost full strength mayo against a reserve Roscommon side, Roscommon must be dreading having to meet them again in the Connacht final  :-) :-) :-) :-) Seriously Mayo looked pathetic today going at full pelt to only scrap across the line, what an abysmal unit of forwards.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Ballaghman on March 28, 2016, 03:14:18 AM

Based on what, playing those teams in a half empty pairc ui rinn etc? Ross were intimidated by Mayo today, on their home patch. Playing Dublin in front of a full house and they would be destroyed. Ross are an up and coming team and will be contenders (as much as Monaghan are anyway) but saying a full Croke Park won't affect them is nonsense imo. Only Mayo, Kerry and Donegal have proven they can handle that atmosphere in last 3/4 years. That's why we're called the big 4, want to join the club, earn it.
In fairness Monaghan got within one point of Dublin on their last two Croke park visits.

Syferus

There was nothing intimating about Mayo today. It was actually remarkable how poor Mayo were today with survival on the line and them throwing everything they had at the wall. Some of the shooting and kick passing was woeful. I don't think we had more than one or two players over six foot on the field today - if Mayo think Seamus O'Shea or Tom Parsons will win anything near as much easy ball if we meet in the summer they could be in for a rude awakening. Without all that possession it's hard to see how Mayo are going to get anywhere with that level performance because they were so wasteful in front of goal. It was an attack that had no cutting edge to it. This has been a common theme with this Mayo team the last five, six, seven, eight, nine years. The craft up front just is not there.

I'm amazed any Roscommon person such as yourself would be crowing about such a poor performance. We were totally abject apart from ten or fifteen minutes at the end of the halves yet we were within a score of Mayo in the closing stages.

What I saw today was a Division 3 match between two sides playing badly. There was no top four or even top eight team on display today and if you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2016, 03:39:37 AM

There was nothing intimating about Mayo today. It was actually remarkable how poor Mayo were today with survival on the line and them throwing everything they had at the wall. Some of the shooting and kick passing was woeful. I don't think we had more than one or two players over six foot on the field today - if Mayo think Seamus O'Shea or Tom Parsons will win anything near as much easy ball if we meet in the summer they could be in for a rude awakening. Without all that possession it's hard to see how Mayo are going to get anywhere with that level performance because they were so wasteful in front of goal. It was an attack that had no cutting edge to it. This has been a common theme with this Mayo team the last five, six, seven, eight, nine years. The craft up front just is not there.

I'm amazed any Roscommon person such as yourself would be crowing about such a poor performance. We were totally abject apart from ten or fifteen minutes at the end of the halves yet we were within a score of Mayo in the closing stages.

What I saw today was a Division 3 match between two sides playing badly. There was no top four or even top eight team on display today and if you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.
That's exactly my point, you've just seen a different game. We are proven contenders. Yes we have fallen short but we'll be there or thereabouts this summer, guaranteed. Willie Hegarty said Ross teams get 'spooked' by Mayo and he's right, they do. We were at 60% today and yet were comfortable. Our sharpness will improve big time by summer. I do believe Ross are on the way up but ye are at least two years away from genuinely challenging the top 4 when it matters. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

Syferus

Quote from: Ballaghman on March 28, 2016, 04:00:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 28, 2016, 03:39:37 AM

That's exactly my point, you've just seen a different game. We are proven contenders. Yes we have fallen short but we'll be there or thereabouts this summer, guaranteed. Willie Hegarty said Ross teams get 'spooked' by Mayo and he's right, they do. We were at 60% today and yet were comfortable. Our sharpness will improve big time by summer. I do believe Ross are on the way up but ye are at least two years away from genuinely challenging the top 4 when it matters. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

Willie Herarty also routinely questions if we'll be having full duck or no dinner.

I think it's very questionable if Mayo will be there or thereabouts this year. To mean that means being competitive with Dublin, because if we're honest everyone else in football is just looking in at them at this stage and it's all well and good beating Donegal or Kerry but it won't matter a jot if the best team in the land are still yards ahead of everyone else. We might well be closer to ye than any of the 'Next Three' are to Dublin. They have a long way to go to get to that point on the evidence of this league. The Ros team that dominated Connacht in the 70s reached the end of the line abruptly and it's likely this Mayo side will as well. It was interesting to read an interview with Seamus Hayden yesterday (a member of that Ros team) about how much putting in so much work year after year and not "coming back with a full bucket of water" takes out of a team. It takes something out of you that you simply can't get back.

I don't mind being perfectly honest in saying I think whatever about Connacht I think this Mayo team's moment for winning the big one has passed. It seems too big an ask now and they may have put the final nail in the coffin themselves by kicking up a fuss over their management. Rochford seems to have brought very little to the party that Holmes and Connelly didn't.

seafoid

Mayo or Donegal will beat the Dubs this year unless Indiana is playing, of course

manfromdelmonte

I think Ros would give any team a good game on a decent pitch, and unlike Derry in the league afew years ago, it's not based on shutting up.shop and wearing teams down.

Mayo posters aren't being very generous to their neighbours in acknowledging their away wins v Kerry, Cork and Donegal. If Mayo had won those they'd be talking about All Irelands in March.

Let's see how the rest of the league pans out

larryin89

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 28, 2016, 09:30:11 AM
I think Ros would give any team a good game on a decent pitch, and unlike Derry in the league afew years ago, it's not based on shutting up.shop and wearing teams down.

Mayo posters aren't being very generous to their neighbours in acknowledging their away wins v Kerry, Cork and Donegal. If Mayo had won those they'd be talking about All Irelands in March.

Let's see how the rest of the league pans out

Hang on ta f**k Will ya ffs. We simply don't know how Roscommon will fare in championship. I was there yesterday obviously and to me I'd be concerned if I were a Rossie , we could of won by 12/14 points if our shooting boots were on , tis all right saying Mayo don't have forwards blah blah and going with every fuckin line the usual suspects throw out at criticising Mayo but they forget how we have blitzed teams with big scores over the past few years . Rochford is piecing a team together for the summer and ejits like myself included have been wrong to be overly concerned at league performances with a bit more luck we could of easily won all our games bar cork where we were just awful that day.

I walked away from Hyde park like everyone else with any cop on about Gaelic football from either side knowing Mayo are still likely to hold onto the Nestor cup for a record breaking sixth time on the trot and people need to appreciate this team , they are a special bunch of players .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 28, 2016, 02:15:48 AM
I think Roscommon are already into the knockout stages and where they will likely play Kerry.

If Ross were to get tanked by Dublin and Cork & Donegal both win, there's a slim chance they could finish 5th AFAIK. Not very likely but possible

Rossfan

Cork -11 I think while we're +25.
Be some winning margins required by Dublin and Cork.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 03:07:00 AM

Hey, what ever! Just in recent seasons Derry and Cork have had their summers ruined before they had even began by nightmare League performances in Croker.

Looking at the standings it looks like Kerry v Roscommon in one of the semis is a strong possibility in the 2nd versus 3rd semi , which might be a bit of a problem for the Rossies as I could see Kerry being out for revenge big time since Kerry got dog's abuse for their performance in Killarney.