[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: ballinaman on March 27, 2016, 10:38:30 PM
The less we see of AOS at FF the better I feel, bossed the middle today with his presence adding to the link play.
Would it be 2001 since we've lost in Hyde park?
[/quote

Yes and that was against Westmeath in rd 4 of the qualifiers. Just after we beat youse with that late great Gerry Lohan goal.

weareros

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 27, 2016, 09:44:31 PM
Well it is only the league but sometimes it's beautiful

I said that I thought the Rossies would put out a reserve team but they didn't and still lost.
For all the talk of confidence and making the semis it must be heart breaking coming out today thinking Mayo have had a terrible league and will probably still be here next year. There must be niggling doubts that when it comes down to it the big boys just put the foot down and get the win they needed. A loss in the semi would reinforce this. It's a lot of doubt to be carrying into a potential Connacht final

There'll always be doubt until we prove we can beat Mayo (or Galway or Sligo) in 2016 championship. That would be the same if we won today. The loss today dampens expectations and takes the press off our backs. The narrative now (90% true) is that we were fitter than everyone else early in the league and got enough early victories in to survive. Indeed, if Kerry reverse the Killarney results in a league semi as you'd well expect them to, it will be: now Rossies, ye're not shouting now, the real teams only start playing after the Easter eggs are well devoured. Now when we could have laid down a marker against Mayo we were found wanting. In other words: all pressure off. If fit, Diarmuid Murtagh (still scored more in 5 mins from play than everyone else today, save Evan Regan whose goal should have been called for overcarrying anyway), Ultan Harney, Cathal Shine and Niall Daly. Senan will also prob be a definite starter. That's 5 anyway. Still confident we'll give Connacht a fair rattle. Today was a good eye opener on where improvements are urgently needed. Better to know now and let's see how Fergal and Kevin can address that. I actually think we'll beat Dublin next week just to screw with the hack's heads.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on March 27, 2016, 10:38:30 PM
The less we see of AOS at FF the better I feel, bossed the middle today with his presence adding to the link play.
Would it be 2001 since we've lost in Hyde park?

Yip. The World Trade Centre was still standing back then. No way we should have lost that either. Pissing about.
Correct about AOS imo.
Our limitations are obvious but can be solved. But a lot of positives. Likes of Caff. and Parsons are playing the best I ve ever seen them I think. Patrick Durkan and Diarmuid are new kids but look like driving forces already. A bit of steadiness and consistency from likes of Freeman and things could get interesting again.

highorlow

I hear all the hotels and b/b's are booked out next weekend by the Dubs so the water polo will have to go ahead.

Fair play to all the Ross supporters today all praise and admiration for the lads. Hopefully we meet again in a Connacht final where a dry ball will make for a better game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 27, 2016, 10:12:42 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 27, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
The Mayo posters on here that didn't care if relegated were reminded today that Mayo players and management very much cared. Roscommon on the other hand seemed happy with their league work already as in a game that mattered more to them they wouldn't have given debuts to a number of players.

What posters don't care about relegation?

I was one! I was not worried as I did not think we'd finish on less points than Monaghan. Look its great to (more than likely) stay up! But feck the league is about doing enough (to stay up) while finding players, developing players, finding systems, trying out players in different positions. Keeping players ticking over without injuries. We all know the drill at this stage. Winning games is a bonus while doing this. You sort have to take a chance and experiment.

Anyway, the under 21 game next weekend was more important than todays game, so a player like Diarmuid should have been subbed earlier. Especially considering the conditions.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on March 27, 2016, 10:54:11 PM
I hear all the hotels and b/b's are booked out next weekend by the Dubs so the water polo will have to go ahead.

Fair play to all the Ross supporters today all praise and admiration for the lads. Hopefully we meet again in a Connacht final where a dry ball will make for a better game.

Houl on! Hotels and B&Bs?? Sure it's only a 2 hour drive!!

manfromdelmonte

I think Ros will be happy enough there today. They know they are not a big team and the drier sod suits them better. Mayo scored most from frees, the goal should have been pulled up for overcarrying.
Mayo more or less showed their full team. AOS and Parsons carried Mayo today. Mayo are very good at identifying when a player gets the ball in a bad position on their wrong foot or hand and they crowd the space to force a turnover. They also carry the ball much more direct than Roscommon.

Ros missing N Daly, D Shine, C Shine, K Higgins, N Carty, D Smith, S Kilbride, C Connolly, D Keenan, U Harney to name a few.

Syferus

We need a few of the big bollixs back if we want to play Mayo's meaty feckers again in the summer.

giveballaghback

The u21 final will be either in Carrick or tuam and the Dubs game could be in Tullamore, no way the Hyde was playable today and with an unsettled week of weather promised and looking like a wet Friday there will be no choice but change venues.
Its not often in sport you get a free lesson and that is exactly what happened today, we would have been in the exact same position win or lose, we have qualified for the league semi more than likely in either second or third spot and we will be playing kerry next sunday week.
Padraic Joyce said on rte radio this evening that Ros could get a tanking in those 2 games and they would be back where they started, lets wait and see.

Rudi

Quote from: giveballaghback on March 28, 2016, 12:43:03 AM
The u21 final will be either in Carrick or tuam and the Dubs game could be in Tullamore, no way the Hyde was playable today and with an unsettled week of weather promised and looking like a wet Friday there will be no choice but change venues.
Its not often in sport you get a free lesson and that is exactly what happened today, we would have been in the exact same position win or lose, we have qualified for the league semi more than likely in either second or third spot and we will be playing kerry next sunday week.
Padraic Joyce said on rte radio this evening that Ros could get a tanking in those 2 games and they would be back where they started, lets wait and see.

PJ had feck all good to say about Rossies or Mayo. Still bitter about the nailing The bauld Francie gave him in the Hyde. Is Seafoid PJs alter ego?

Blowitupref

Back to where they started would be on the verge of relegation in January instead Roscommon have secured Div one football for at least another year.

That defeat for Roscommon today could yet be a blessing in disguise before the championship. Did Mayo show more of their hand than they would want before the summer? either way they needed that win more than the home side.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

whitey

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 28, 2016, 01:29:08 AM
Back to where they started would be on the verge of relegation in January instead Roscommon have secured Div one football for at least another year.

That defeat for Roscommon today could yet be a blessing in disguise before the championship. Did Mayo show more of their hand than they would want before the summer? either way they needed that win more than the home side.

Mayo are only getting warmed up....Cillian O Connor missing, Keith Higgins missing.....arguably 2 of the best players in Ireland over the past 5 years.

Syferus

Quote from: Rudi on March 28, 2016, 12:52:14 AM

PJ had feck all good to say about Rossies or Mayo. Still bitter about the nailing The bauld Francie gave him in the Hyde. Is Seafoid PJs alter ego?

Joyce will be forever in Donnellan's shadow for me.

From the Bunker

Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 28, 2016, 02:08:24 AM
Could be wrong on this. But a narrow defeat to Dublin not qualifying for the knockout stages of the League might not be a bad out come for Roscommon. Some where along the line you'll come up across the Dubs in Croker and that has proven in recent times to be a nightmare scenario.

We're already in the semis.  We don't need anything from the Dublin game.

I'd fancy us to play far better in Croker than the Hyde against them too. Why fear Dublin? It's all new to this team and the more minutes against the best the better.

More likely we'll meet Kerry in the semi anyways.