[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

I have a feeling the rossies could play a weakened team. I'd imagine McStay will be more concerned with keeping his cards close to his chest before the championship than relegating us.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 21, 2016, 05:27:24 PM
I have a feeling the rossies could play a weakened team. I'd imagine McStay will be more concerned with keeping his cards close to his chest before the championship than relegating us.

I don't think you have heard about the amount of injuries we have. I last counted about 8-10 players who have yet to feature this year that most would have considered locks for the match-day 26. Coming into this year Donie and Cathal Shine, Kevin Higgins, Ultan Harney, Diarmuid Murtagh and David Keenan and Niall Carty would have been all considered championship starters and big players for us but have not played at all this year while only Cathal and Ultan have had any minutes. Ian Kilbride suffered a hamstring injury the last day so our already decimated midfield (no established midfielders even before that injury) was worsened. We don't have a whole lot of options to be fiddling with.

Best I can see is maybe Cathal Compton, Ultan Harney and Diarmuid Murtagh featuring. And I don't think those two players will really be weakening the team, Murtagh and Harney are two of our best forwards and Compton might be our best underage prospect in the middle for a while. Sean Mullooly was absolutely excellent for the U21s on Saturday but it'd be surprising if he gets anything more than sub time given he's only back into the reckoning and has never played a minute at senior yet.

People are praising us but I'm just amazed we're competitive given how limited our options have been. We're playing counties with so many more players to choose from. The most heartening thing coming out of the league is the fact the team has demonstrated the depth that we'd long hoped was there. It's up the the lads coming back to do their part if they want to get a spot on the team again.

Cunny Funt

If the boot was on the other foot with Mayo on 8 points and Roscommon on 2 points I think Rochford would start to rest key players and wouldn't want to show much if any of his hand before championship.

Mayo have a great record in Hyde park the last decade and the fact Mayo need the win more than Roscommon and will be close to full strength it's a game Mayo should and probably will win on Sunday.

Mac2

McStay's philosophy is to go out and win every game no matter what the contest and this will be no different.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on March 21, 2016, 05:17:17 PM
Jeeeeeesus but those were depressing days :( :'(
that was one horrible NFL campaign.

My favourite league campaign of all time, that was the year we beat all around us.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ck

Rossies are peaking very early and Mayo are improving steadily. If Ross held back and lost this one it might be a smart move?

Syferus

Quote from: ck on March 22, 2016, 12:58:18 PM

Rossies are peaking very early and Mayo are improving steadily. If Ross held back and lost this one it might be a smart move?

I've seen nothing to suggest Mayo are improving steadily.

Zulu

Don't think Ros are in a position to ease up, it would be no bad thing for a team that are looking to take over as their province's dominant team to beat the current one. Ross should push maintain their momentum and try and win the league from here. A young talented team like Roscommon are better off riding the wave IMO than trying to be too smart. Besides, it's training that needs to be managed to maintain a team's ability to peak multiple times. I can't see any advantage for Roscommon to run the bench against Mayo.

giveballaghback

Fintan Cregg very doubtful for Sunday, sustained a back injury v Donegal and may not make it, hearing rumours that there will be  changes for Sunday, maybe mayo4sam post may not be far off the mark.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: giveballaghback on March 22, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
Fintan Cregg very doubtful for Sunday, sustained a back injury v Donegal and may not make it, hearing rumours that there will be  changes for Sunday, maybe mayo4sam post may not be far off the mark.
A bonus for Mayo if arguably Roscommons best player this year misses out. No need for Roscommon to risk any player that is doubtful this Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 22, 2016, 02:55:18 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on March 22, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
A bonus for Mayo if arguably Roscommons best player this year misses out. No need for Roscommon to risk any player that is doubtful this Sunday.

Even if it was a critical match this mangement wouldn't be risking an unfit player. The common sense they're showing is refreshing.

rosnarun

Ros would be silly o ease up at this stage for 2 reason
firstly there is a league title in this ofr them if they want it . they are the form team with momentum and it would means more to the than say dublin Kerry
secondly if you turn off the engine it may not be as easy to start it again as you'd like. There is a lot of emotional energy being created by Roscommons run . without it they would probably show up in their true colours of being an average side
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on March 22, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
firstly there is a league title in this ofr them if they want it . they are the form team with momentum and it would means more to the than say dublin Kerry
secondly if you turn off the engine it may not be as easy to start it again as you'd like. There is a lot of emotional energy being created by Roscommons run . without it they would probably show up in their true colours of being an average side

Better than being a sub-average side in danger of relegation I guess.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rosnarun on March 22, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
Could be a case made Roscommon are just showing their true colours now under new management and were made look average in their recent championship defeats. For as well as Roscommon are playing it's the Dubs that are top of the league with 100% record and they also have the best defensive record. It's Dublins league title to lose.

muppet

There is no waiting in the long grass, there is only the greater glory of Ros.

Roscelona don't go out to play under the radar.

MWWSI 2017