GAA legends

Started by seafoid, March 13, 2016, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Who would be in your top 3 ?

Tyroneforsam

In my lifetime, Peter Canavan, Maurice Fitzgerald, Pauric Joyce, in that order.

seafoid

Dermot Earley, Joe Cooney, Michael Donnellan

balladmaker

The Bomber Liston, Jack O'Shea and Pat Spillane ... Memories from a childhood watching Kerry in All Ireland Finals.  Happy to say that I've met each of them over the years.

Wildweasel74

Matt Connor, Jack O`Shea, Colm O`Rourke/Pat Spillane,

From the Bunker

Micheal O Muircheartaigh - He is a true lover of Gaelic Athletic Association and it is reflected in the enthusiasm he brought to matches. His unusual turn of phrase has made him a much loved broadcaster and often imitated character.

Jack Lynch - In 1946 Lynch made Irish sporting history by becoming the first, and to date the only, player to win six consecutive senior All-Ireland medals (five in hurling and one in football).

Mickey Harte - Harte managed Tyrone Minors (1991–1998) and under-21s and won the All-Ireland with both these teams before he was named the Tyrone Senior Football Manager. He guided the under-21 team to two All-Ireland Under 21 titles and three Ulster Under 21 titles.[5] He led the Minors to an All-Ireland Minor title and three Ulster Minor titles.[5]
He subsequently managed his home club of Errigal Ciarán and was successful with this team as well, winning the Tyrone County Championship and Ulster Championship

Ball Hopper

From South Kerry alone:  Mick O'Connell, Jack O'Shea and Maurice Fitzgerald (sadly no place for John Egan).

From outside Kerry:  Matt Connor by a mile, Dermot Earley a solid second, too many to choose from for third.

Il Bomber Destro

Canavan, Tohill, Linden.

5 Sams

Impossible to pick a top 3...put a gun to my head...McAlarney, Mo Fitz and Mickey Linden....the three players who I most admire and who have given me the most pleasure having watched football over the past 40 years.
The Aristocrat Years

GaillimhIarthair

Football
Matt Connor, Jack O'Shea & John Egan

Hurling
Joe Cooney, Eanna Ryan & John Fenton

mouview

Joe Canning. Already the greatest forward I've ever seen for Galway, no debate about it.

Aristo 60

Mr Martin Morrisey
Mr David Fitzgerald
Mr Laurence Reilly

For services to both GAA and comedy.

Orior

Too difficult. It's like asking which of your children is your favourite.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

Peter canavan, darragh o se, Brian dooher

From the Bunker

The title Legend can often be bandied to great players, players who won a lot on great teams, Players who played intercounty. But the reality is the real Legends of the game are the Jack of all trades volunteers at club level, cutting grass, coaching kids, fundraising, tea making, Blitz organising etc