Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruella De Vil

Ballyfins comeback against emo was always going to be overstated, due to the pattern the game took. The 2 teams in the game were evenly matched enough in the 1st half, but Ballyfin coughed up 2 crazy soft goals, leaving the scores as it did at half time. The game was similar in the 2nd half, except they took their chances, and omitted mistakes in their own defence.

Emo should not be written off in the relegation final, they are scoring heavily enough all year, but obviously conceding a truck load of scores, if they somehow stem the tide at the back, tighten it up a bit, Heath & graiguemay struggle to out score them.

Not sure Don how last nights defeat for Ballyfin puts anything into context regarding their decision to pull out of the league? They pulled out of the league due to 1) the division they were in & 2) their previous difficulties in trying to get teams together to fulfill fixtures in it, especially in the earlier rounds, when you're ending up calling on a lads from junior teams to keep it going, and they possibly involved with 2 teams in hurling also. What "context" would you put the championship showing of the Heath into, following their league exploits?

Timmy

Quote from: Downtheroad on August 29, 2016, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 29, 2016, 08:26:11 AM
Emo's defeat to Clonaslee puts Ballyfins supposed wonder comeback into context, with further context coming last night with defeat to Crettyard. And a little more context on their decision to pull out of the league.
Fair Comment. Crettyard didn't seem to have Spink players last night either from what I could make out. The standard in general was shocking over the weekend. If Emo stay up, I imagine, they will grab the Courtwood lifeline and form a gaels team.   If they go down, they won't be able to form a gaels team for at least a year unless some of their players opt to play with one the existing senior clubs. I still think that The Heath are the most vulnerable of the 3 left.

Can a gaels team consist of players from an intermediate side or does it have to be from a junior team?

Downtheroad

Quote from: Timmy on August 29, 2016, 01:59:44 PM
Emo's defeat to Clonaslee puts Ballyfins supposed wonder comeback into context, with further context coming last night with defeat to Crettyard. And a little more context on their decision to pull out of the league.
Fair Comment. Crettyard didn't seem to have Spink players last night either from what I could make out. The standard in general was shocking over the weekend. If Emo stay up, I imagine, they will grab the Courtwood lifeline and form a gaels team.   If they go down, they won't be able to form a gaels team for at least a year unless some of their players opt to play with one the existing senior clubs. I still think that The Heath are the most vulnerable of the 3 left.
Both intermediate and junior players can play on a gaels team.  Not restricted to one club either.
Can a gaels team consist of players from an intermediate side or does it have to be from a junior team?
Both intermediate and junior players can play on a gaels team.  Not restricted to one club either.

Ballyroan Abbey

Was 2 spink lads on it one scored 1-1 the rest of the ballinakill lads involved with hurling didnt turn up

SCFC

If Emo stay up, I imagine, they will grab the Courtwood lifeline and form a gaels team.   If they go down, they won't be able to form a gaels team for at least a year unless some of their players opt to play with one the existing senior clubs.

Not as I understand it. If Emo went down, they could form a group senior team with Courtwood or The Rock or Annanough or any combination of those teams.
The rule doesn't refer to a "Gaels team", it's called a group team.

That said it didn't happen the last time Emo went down! And theyre not gone yet this year either!

Downtheroad

Quote from: SCFC on August 29, 2016, 04:30:23 PM
If Emo stay up, I imagine, they will grab the Courtwood lifeline and form a gaels team.   If they go down, they won't be able to form a gaels team for at least a year unless some of their players opt to play with one the existing senior clubs.

Not as I understand it. If Emo went down, they could form a group senior team with Courtwood or The Rock or Annanough or any combination of those teams.
The rule doesn't refer to a "Gaels team", it's called a group team.

That said it didn't happen the last time Emo went down! And theyre not gone yet this year either!
Fair point that there are not gone yet. The point I was making was that co board are not going to allow a 17th team in Senior championship. Remember what happened a few years ago.

Laoiseabu

They should of went ahead with the idea of reducing the senior to 12 and adding four extra intermediate teams that would leave it 12 senior teams 12 intermediate teams

Unlaoised

I enjoyed the Ballylinan Port game altho eddie's reffing was not up to its usual standard...

There was some very dodgy calls in the Ballyfin game as well...Ballyfin not getting the goal in the first half at a crucial stage when he blew for a free just before it was dispatched into the net.

Some of the tackles on James Finn near the end as he steam rolled through the Crettyard defence should have been straight Red's not black(I think on was)

Standard over the weekend wasn't good.

Crettyard will feel they were very lucky to get over the line helped by Murphy's frees and as soft a goal you'll see in the championshipin the first half when the ball bounced into the net from 55 yards

St.Joes just did enough to get past a Mountmellick team that lacked belief.

Ballylinan and Port was by far the highest standard of the weekend and Ballylinan will beat Stradbally on that performance.

Kileen did the bear amount needed to beat Killeshin who I would put in the same bracket as Mountmellick,Ballyfin,Crettyard and Clonaslee as lucky to be senior teams.

I didn't see the Heath game so I can't comment but I'll go to the replay in Stradbally tomorrow night!

LAOIS ABÚ

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Cruella De Vil on August 29, 2016, 01:54:10 PM

Not sure Don how last nights defeat for Ballyfin puts anything into context regarding their decision to pull out of the league? They pulled out of the league due to 1) the division they were in

And now they have gone down another division what exactly are they going to do?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Cruella De Vil

Keyser, I believe they drop to 2b from 2a, if so, they can still get to div 2 semis by coming in the top 2 of same.
But, I stand to be corrected on this, as I'm not sure.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Nothing to do with this thread but this was some left hook from Paudie....  ;D

https://youtu.be/z0h3QQIBH6Y
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Genuinely can't see how its good for Ballyfin Football not to participate in the League or for the players.  I do realize they have hurling with a small base of players however lets be honest they are getting success in Football I just wonder why it's not the priority.

I don't think if they win Div 2B and win semi and final they automatically go to Div 1 B. 

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Relegation semi-final result:

Graiguecullen  1-15
The Heath       0-8

Downtheroad

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 31, 2016, 09:41:16 PM
Relegation semi-final result:

Graiguecullen  1-15
The Heath       0-8
That's fairly comprehensive. My money will be on Emo to stay up as the Heath have registered another poor score and are in a bad place.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Graiguecullen were by far the better team tonight, everyone upped their game from the first match and even without the injured Mark Timmons they were always on top. Things were not going too good at the club and weren't helped by their manager walking away after the defeat to Portarlington.  They seemed rudderless during the first game with The Heath but turned it all around tonight. The Heath looked a tired team and could be in trouble in the final against Emo.
http://www.midlands103.com/sport-centre/graiguecullen-retain-laois-senior-football-championship-status/

Not too many expected that pairing in this years relegation final, last years finalists and this years league winners...