Cavan v Armagh

Started by bennydorano, March 01, 2016, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

All things being equal I reckon that Paul McK, Paul Hughes, AK, James Morgan, Johnny Hanratty, TK, Kyle Carragher and Jamie Clarke would be capable of playing county senior football at the minute under the right set up.  They may not all be first teamers but certainly they are as strong as is on the squad in their relative positions.  I believe Aidan Rushe and Oisin O'Neill have the talent but are still young and would be better off having at least 1 more year in club football before stepping up.  Obviously AK is retired, Morgan injured and Jamie away.  Many will argue against Johnny but when fit he is a very strong MF who gets in people's faces.  Maybe that's why many Armagh supporters don't like him  He is a loose cannon but a strong option.  I think that most would accept the others I have mentioned.

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 08, 2016, 12:45:41 PM
All things being equal I reckon that Paul McK, Paul Hughes, AK, James Morgan, Johnny Hanratty, TK, Kyle Carragher and Jamie Clarke would be capable of playing county senior football at the minute under the right set up.  They may not all be first teamers but certainly they are as strong as is on the squad in their relative positions.  I believe Aidan Rushe and Oisin O'Neill have the talent but are still young and would be better off having at least 1 more year in club football before stepping up.  Obviously AK is retired, Morgan injured and Jamie away.  Many will argue against Johnny but when fit he is a very strong MF who gets in people's faces.  Maybe that's why many Armagh supporters don't like him  He is a loose cannon but a strong option.  I think that most would accept the others I have mentioned.
The key name there is Kyle Carragher.

McKeown and Hughes are there are thereabouts with what we have. They would add to depth and competition for places (both good things) but they would not transform us. I don't agree with you re Johnny. But Carragher is better than what we have in a position where we struggle to field at all. the inside line is stocked week after week with players who are not natural in the role. Carragher has pace and works his own chances. He needs to be there and I would be hugely disappointed if efforts had not been made to get him on board.

Applesisapples

I love Hanratty as a player he never quits, looking at him for Cross I'd say he would need to work a wee bit on fitness, but when he played for Armagh before he always brought something that now seems to be lacking, the ability to win dirty ball.

JP

Quote from: smelmoth on March 08, 2016, 12:54:45 PM
The key name there is Kyle Carragher.

McKeown and Hughes are there are thereabouts with what we have. They would add to depth and competition for places (both good things) but they would not transform us. I don't agree with you re Johnny. But Carragher is better than what we have in a position where we struggle to field at all. the inside line is stocked week after week with players who are not natural in the role. Carragher has pace and works his own chances. He needs to be there and I would be hugely disappointed if efforts had not been made to get him on board.

I agree, his partnership with Clarke in 2014 was lovely to watch. I think he is a far better option then any player we have tried in corner forward so far this year.

general_lee

Id agree with Smelmoth. Don't think Hanratty offers anything that isn't already there. Armagh don't just need a dirty ball winner they need someone in the Paul McGrane mould. If Findon could win clean ball dominate his opponent and take points from out the field he'd not be far off but he can't. Kyle Carragher would certainly add to the forward division and it's a shame he isn't available. At the back I don't really think there's much more the Cross players would add, I'd have Hearty back in even as back up and obviously AK and Morgan.

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on March 08, 2016, 03:01:39 PM
Id agree with Smelmoth. Don't think Hanratty offers anything that isn't already there. Armagh don't just need a dirty ball winner they need someone in the Paul McGrane mould. If Findon could win clean ball dominate his opponent and take points from out the field he'd not be far off but he can't. Kyle Carragher would certainly add to the forward division and it's a shame he isn't available. At the back I don't really think there's much more the Cross players would add, I'd have Hearty back in even as back up and obviously AK and Morgan.

Why is Carragher not available? Was he asked?

In the 4 games to date we have not selected a single player in the full forward line that is better in that role than Kyle Carragher. It would be good to know why he is not there.

Armamike

Quote from: smelmoth on March 08, 2016, 09:17:07 PM

In the 4 games to date we have not selected a single player in the full forward line that is better in that role than Kyle Carragher. It would be good to know why he is not there.

Building a house.
That's just, like your opinion man.

redzone

Building a house. Lmfao

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on March 08, 2016, 09:17:07 PM

Whether true or not I was told by an acquaintance of the player that he was not prepared to commit to the training schedule expected by Geezer.

T Fearon

According to Breheny in Irish Indo today,Armagh spent €891,611 on its county teams in 2015 and Donegal spent €765,864,Monaghan €561,500 and Tyrone €556,222. Guess who got little in return for whopping expenditure?

Beffs

Where do Armagh train? Belfast is only about 40 miles away. If a lot of their players work there, or go to university there, those mileage expenses would hardly break the bank, compared to someone from Mayo, Kerry, Donegal etc etc living and working in Dublin.

rrhf

Strange comment - Have Cross become apathetic to Armaghs fortunes, or are they supportive, or do they need regime change to be cooperative?

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on March 09, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
Strange comment - Have Cross become apathetic to Armaghs fortunes, or are they supportive, or do they need regime change to be cooperative?

Well you could have Kyle Carragher running about in the forwards, but nobody to kick him a decent pass, so he wouldn't be very effective.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

Quote from: Beffs on March 09, 2016, 09:33:14 PM
Where do Armagh train? Belfast is only about 40 miles away. If a lot of their players work there, or go to university there, those mileage expenses would hardly break the bank, compared to someone from Mayo, Kerry, Donegal etc etc living and working in Dublin.

Hurling sticks cost a fortune!

Beffs

The Orchard County, complaining about the cost of wooden hurls? Chop down a few trees FFS !  :P