Round 4: Monaghan v Mayo: St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 6/3/2016

Started by moysider, February 29, 2016, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Lol. Ok it felt like they had more looking at it on tv. Not from mayo so wasn't an excuse!!

J70

It WAS a strong team, apart from young Carroll. Eoin McHugh will be a starter. The likes of McFadden, Toye, Kavanagh and maybe even Lacey, Mark McHugh and Thompson will not be guaranteed starting spots in June. Durcan may not be back at all. They have to move on with younger lads eventually.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 08:55:23 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2016, 11:29:52 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 11:14:13 AM
Quote from: cluaineois on March 01, 2016, 08:29:41 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 01, 2016, 06:56:44 AM
Has this game been moved? Was supposed to be in Castleblaney.
Yes game was moved due to the large number
of Mayo season ticket holders. The Donegal game has now been fixed for 'blaney.
I thought it was moved because of better parking for tractors in Clones.

I think you mean that much of the parking in Clones is only suitable for tractors, especially at this time of year.
Things have changed much since your county was last there :)

No doubt some popular locations flooded entirely and you'd now need a boat.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Unlaoised

I think Mayo could win this one there is always one league fixture that goes against the form and there is nothing between these two...Lasts weeks match will have taken a lot out of the Monaghan Legs
LAOIS ABÚ

mayoman dan

With this being a must win game for Mayo i would like to see us being a little more adventurous with our forward play.We need to decide what  were doing with AOS for a start.Is he a target man ff or not.Would like to see Regan and Freeman in the corners playing off him.Freeman needs to be given a run and soon he has his faults that have been well discussed on here but on form hes a better option than Sweeney and Ronaldson.

Cunny Funt

If Mayo win this game I could see them going on to reach the league semi final. The real must win will be Kerry at home in round 5 but only if Mayo lose on Sunday.

muppet

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 02, 2016, 06:09:14 PM
With this being a must win game for Mayo i would like to see us being a little more adventurous with our forward play.We need to decide what  were doing with AOS for a start.Is he a target man ff or not.Would like to see Regan and Freeman in the corners playing off him.Freeman needs to be given a run and soon he has his faults that have been well discussed on here but on form hes a better option than Sweeney and Ronaldson.

With the emergence of Diarmuid, and possibly the 2 Conors, and of course McLaughlin all to go in the half forward line, we could put Jason Doherty back to his proper position in the FF line.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2016, 06:37:43 PM

With the emergence of Diarmuid, and possibly the 2 Conors, and of course McLaughlin all to go in the half forward line, we could put Jason Doherty back to his proper position in the FF line.
Muppet, this is a politics free zone,
not the war room.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on March 02, 2016, 06:41:31 PM

Muppet, this is a politics free zone,
not the war room.

Jaysus poor Jason has done nothing to deserve being put in the FF line.

I take it back.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Regan would want to be involved more in open play. Just as he was when he ran for the penalty the last day. Maybe he was trying his damndest but the supply was poor, if that was the case, the outfield players obviously deserve slack.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Doherty has been back in the ff line in league and doul FBD.
I think Doherty's best times for Mayo has been as a water carrier around the field chipping in with the odd point as well.
So far this year when he s played inside it looks like he s trying to prove himself all over again and taking too much on and making poor decisions. At this stage I thought he would be giving shape to the inside line and providing leadership and bringing younger lads into the game but that did not happen. The working half forward role might be the best option for him. A team needs at least 4 of those for 70 minutes in championship. We know McLoughlin, Diarmuid and McLoughlin can do it. Not sure Conor O Shea has the radar for it. I m sure the last day his running stats would be A+ but how often did he get on the ball? Pity Keith is becoming injury prone (maybe it's just bad luck though). Donegal had no answer to him and we may well have won if he didn't pull up. It could turn out that we could have enough at the back to allow him play in attack.

Main Street

One of the positives when we play Mayo is that we don't have to write any posts in order to keep the match thread on page 1.

moysider

Quote from: Main Street on March 02, 2016, 09:55:51 PM
One of the positives when we play Mayo is that we don't have to write any posts in order to keep the match thread on page 1.

;D You may have noticed though that the Mayo threads are getting shorter lately.
Roscommon are the only show in town right now. 

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 02, 2016, 09:45:25 PM

Doherty has been back in the ff line in league and doul FBD.
I think Doherty's best times for Mayo has been as a water carrier around the field chipping in with the odd point as well.
So far this year when he s played inside it looks like he s trying to prove himself all over again and taking too much on and making poor decisions. At this stage I thought he would be giving shape to the inside line and providing leadership and bringing younger lads into the game but that did not happen. The working half forward role might be the best option for him. A team needs at least 4 of those for 70 minutes in championship. We know McLoughlin, Diarmuid and McLoughlin can do it. Not sure Conor O Shea has the radar for it. I m sure the last day his running stats would be A+ but how often did he get on the ball? Pity Keith is becoming injury prone (maybe it's just bad luck though). Donegal had no answer to him and we may well have won if he didn't pull up. It could turn out that we could have enough at the back to allow him play in attack.

I think when everyone is fit our half forward line will be

D O Connor          Higgins           Mc Loughlin
Aido and Cillian in the ff line with one spot open for Regan Freeman Andy or Sweeney depending on injury and form. Doherty is wasted in the ff line better as a hard working half forward chipping in with a score or 2.Keeping Higgins up here depends on keeping fellas fit at the back.Barrett Cunniffe Harrison and Hall are good options for fighting it out for the corner back spots

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 02, 2016, 08:41:22 PM
Regan would want to be involved more in open play. Just as he was when he ran for the penalty the last day. Maybe he was trying his damndest but the supply was poor, if that was the case, the outfield players obviously deserve slack.

The supply has been very poor very hard to judge the new forwards on what we have seen thus far.