Round 4: Monaghan v Mayo: St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 6/3/2016

Started by moysider, February 29, 2016, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 02, 2016, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 02, 2016, 09:45:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2016, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 02, 2016, 06:09:14 PM
With this being a must win game for Mayo i would like to see us being a little more adventurous with our forward play.We need to decide what  were doing with AOS for a start.Is he a target man ff or not.Would like to see Regan and Freeman in the corners playing off him.Freeman needs to be given a run and soon he has his faults that have been well discussed on here but on form hes a better option than Sweeney and Ronaldson.

With the emergence of Diarmuid, and possibly the 2 Conors, and of course McLaughlin all to go in the half forward line, we could put Jason Doherty back to his proper position in the FF line.

Doherty has been back in the ff line in league and doul FBD.
I think Doherty's best times for Mayo has been as a water carrier around the field chipping in with the odd point as well.
So far this year when he s played inside it looks like he s trying to prove himself all over again and taking too much on and making poor decisions. At this stage I thought he would be giving shape to the inside line and providing leadership and bringing younger lads into the game but that did not happen. The working half forward role might be the best option for him. A team needs at least 4 of those for 70 minutes in championship. We know McLoughlin, Diarmuid and McLoughlin can do it. Not sure Conor O Shea has the radar for it. I m sure the last day his running stats would be A+ but how often did he get on the ball? Pity Keith is becoming injury prone (maybe it's just bad luck though). Donegal had no answer to him and we may well have won if he didn't pull up. It could turn out that we could have enough at the back to allow him play in attack.

I think when everyone is fit our half forward line will be

D O Connor          Higgins           Mc Loughlin
Aido and Cillian in the ff line with one spot open for Regan Freeman Andy or Sweeney depending on injury and form. Doherty is wasted in the ff line better as a hard working half forward chipping in with a score or 2.Keeping Higgins up here depends on keeping fellas fit at the back.Barrett Cunniffe Harrison and Hall are good options for fighting it out for the corner back spots

Agree. Hard to know about Aido. Can t see a scenario where he is played as an out and out 14. Donegal use Murphy in different roles but it is very difficult to get a team to switch and play different set ups in a match where a big player is flitting about from one role to another. Not only does he have to do different things but the other players have to cope with changing shape as well.
Diarmuid O Connor and McLoughlin probably first choice half forwards but over 70 minutes 4 players are needed there.
There is the notion out there that Mayo are an older, settled team on the circuit. We are well into transition. We d do well to get 10 out of 15 places predicted now for championship.

babarino

Hope the queue for tea isn't as slow during half time as it was at the Down game.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 02, 2016, 10:38:16 PM
With this being a must win game for Mayo i would like to see us being a little more adventurous with our forward play.We need to decide what  were doing with AOS for a start.Is he a target man ff or not.Would like to see Regan and Freeman in the corners playing off him.Freeman needs to be given a run and soon he has his faults that have been well discussed on here but on form hes a better option than Sweeney and Ronaldson.

With the emergence of Diarmuid, and possibly the 2 Conors, and of course McLaughlin all to go in the half forward line, we could put Jason Doherty back to his proper position in the FF line.

I think Doherty's best times for Mayo has been as a water carrier around the field chipping in with the odd point as well.
So far this year when he s played inside it looks like he s trying to prove himself all over again and taking too much on and making poor decisions. At this stage I thought he would be giving shape to the inside line and providing leadership and bringing younger lads into the game but that did not happen. The working half forward role might be the best option for him. A team needs at least 4 of those for 70 minutes in championship. We know McLoughlin, Diarmuid and McLoughlin can do it. Not sure Conor O Shea has the radar for it. I m sure the last day his running stats would be A+ but how often did he get on the ball? Pity Keith is becoming injury prone (maybe it's just bad luck though). Donegal had no answer to him and we may well have won if he didn't pull up. It could turn out that we could have enough at the back to allow him play in attack.

Aido and Cillian in the ff line with one spot open for Regan Freeman Andy or Sweeney depending on injury and form. Doherty is wasted in the ff line better as a hard working half forward chipping in with a score or 2.Keeping Higgins up here depends on keeping fellas fit at the back.Barrett Cunniffe Harrison and Hall are good options for fighting it out for the corner back spots

Agree. Hard to know about Aido. Can t see a scenario where he is played as an out and out 14. Donegal use Murphy in different roles but it is very difficult to get a team to switch and play different set ups in a match where a big player is flitting about from one role to another. Not only does he have to do different things but the other players have to cope with changing shape as well.
Diarmuid O Connor and McLoughlin probably first choice half forwards but over 70 minutes 4 players are needed there.
There is the notion out there that Mayo are an older, settled team on the circuit. We are well into transition. We d do well to get 10 out of 15 places predicted now for championship.

If done correctly this could be a huge benefit to us.We need 3 or 4 subs that can contribute when you go up against the Dublins and Kerrys. 1 or 2 of the more established players might be warming the bench this year.Theres huge competition for places and that can only be a good thing

mayoman dan

Quote from: babarino on March 02, 2016, 10:50:52 PM
Hope the queue for tea isn't as slow during half time as it was at the Down game.

If thats your biggest worry right now your a lucky man 8)

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 02, 2016, 10:57:25 PM

If done correctly this could be a huge benefit to us.We need 3 or 4 subs that can contribute when you go up against the Dublins and Kerrys. 1 or 2 of the more established players might be warming the bench this year.Theres huge competition for places and that can only be a good thing

Yeah. I know players always like to start but it's a 20 man game. Fellas coming on are as vital as those that start. The team that finishes should be as strong as the one that started.
I d like to see us with a set up that can convert our often dominance of possession into scores and have subs that can come in and do the same job as those they replace. 

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 02, 2016, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: babarino on March 02, 2016, 10:50:52 PM

If thats your biggest worry right now your a lucky man 8)

Bring a flask of tay barbarino ;D

IolarCoisCuain

Disagree on this Moysider. While a team will have to work harder to accommodate that sort of roving commission, they can practice in training and get it right. It's the opposition for whom it has to be nightmare, as nobody can replicate what O'Shea does in training. He's a one-of-a-kind sort of presence. Also, what could be better than having an opposition distracted by trying to figure out what you're trying to do than working on their own game plan? On the back foot already.

When the Castlebar players return Mayo could have three men who could all alternate between midfield and full-forward - Aidan, Barry Moran and Danny Kirby. When they start to move, what does the opposition do to counter? Mark the position, or mark the man? Have they got markers who can play in those different positions? If they mark the spaces, players can get lost and next thing you know there's one in the onion sack.

I'll tell you now lads. We'll have them nicely bewildered and bamboozled below in Division 2 next year. Heads spinning every which way.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 02, 2016, 11:51:57 PM

Disagree on this Moysider. While a team will have to work harder to accommodate that sort of roving commission, they can practice in training and get it right. It's the opposition for whom it has to be nightmare, as nobody can replicate what O'Shea does in training. He's a one-of-a-kind sort of presence. Also, what could be better than having an opposition distracted by trying to figure out what you're trying to do than working on their own game plan? On the back foot already.

When the Castlebar players return Mayo could have three men who could all alternate between midfield and full-forward - Aidan, Barry Moran and Danny Kirby. When they start to move, what does the opposition do to counter? Mark the position, or mark the man? Have they got markers who can play in those different positions? If they mark the spaces, players can get lost and next thing you know there's one in the onion sack.

I'll tell you now lads. We'll have them nicely bewildered and bamboozled below in Division 2 next year. Heads spinning every which way.

Y'know, I was factoring that in while I was typing the earlier post. You are right of course. It should be a nightmare for the opposition. But Donegal and Murphy and maybe to a lesser extent Tyrone and Cavanagh appear to be the only teams that can pull that move off. Both highly coached systems. Not sure our culture lends itself to that high level of disciplined approach to things. Even from posters on here it's more about individuals starting and what the starting 15 should be approach. It remains to be seen if new management can effect a change here. Change of culture basically where everybody buys into a system. We all knew Liam McHale never bought into playing ff and worryingly Aido expresses misgivings about playing ff when asked about it. Going forward the challenge for Rochford is to set the team up and players buy into how he wants to play the game.
If Mayo are still going to be about who starts, who is dropped and who is first sub......... we're bunched.

Main Street

Considering that we are playing well, not to mention going all the way to Ballymagash to beat Connacht's hot shot team, we're in as good position we have ever been in, to do a number on Mayo.
Last time we beat Mayo it was played in Iniskeen (2011), but afair  the result didn't matter for Mayo.
Now we are supposed to look after the comfort concerns of a horde of Mayo season ticket holders? Well, you can bring your own effin cushion.

rosnarun

Aidan O Se is a midfielder out and out , he can get lost when they are swapping him in and out of CHF FF and Midfield. the only question should be do you want jersey 8 or 9.Mayo have a potential 6 or 7 other  midfielders
Gibbons ,S o Se,Parsons, Barry Moran,  Vaughan and Kirby at a pinch maybe even caolan crowe if needed
only one Jersey left, Id give it to Parsons but its easy to see why they keep aidan out of there
SOme one mentioned  the summer team , this is the one id like to see
               D Clarke
Harrison    Caff         Higgins
barrett      Cunniffe  p durkan
          a o se  parsons
D oconnor  DoC          Coen
K McLaughlin  B moran  Cillian

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: rosnarun on March 03, 2016, 10:59:34 AM
Aidan O Se is a midfielder out and out , he can get lost when they are swapping him in and out of CHF FF and Midfield. the only question should be do you want jersey 8 or 9.Mayo have a potential 6 or 7 other  midfielders
Gibbons ,S o Se,Parsons, Barry Moran,  Vaughan and Kirby at a pinch maybe even caolan crowe if needed
only one Jersey left, Id give it to Parsons but its easy to see why they keep aidan out of there
SOme one mentioned  the summer team , this is the one id like to see
               D Clarke
Harrison    Caff         Higgins
barrett      Cunniffe  p durkan
          a o se  parsons
D oconnor  DoC          Coen
K McLaughlin  B moran  Cillian

Interesting team.

I'd have Keegan for Barrett though.

Also I'd start Regan at 13 with maybe K Mc at 10 or 12. DOC and Doc would also start.

That would leave Boyler and Vaughan as high profile subs along with Barrett. We could put one of them in for Higgins and play him high up the field also. K Mc is a terrific player but needs to find his best form. Also if Danny Kirby makes an impact again on Paddy's Day I think he is worth a look in the FF line.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

im not convinced by Kirby. he has all the attributes need for a top player but some how hes not or at least shown it yet  , a bit like a six foot guy under 12 who they shove in goal. Maybe it the hair far too bouncy

i think Boyler and Vaughan are better athletes than footballers and their skill level not quiet up to the level it should be and as they age a bit they lose that physical advantage  they has. Great heart in both of them though.
regan just has not shown enough in the league to convince me he top notch yet.I know neither has Coen but he count get a free ride from missing the league.
and Mclaughlin even at hes worst is always  worth a place in the lean for his overall skill stamina and agression, its that bit of nasty Knockmore  in him mayo need
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere