210,000 Northern DLA Claimants

Started by T Fearon, February 25, 2016, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Maybe NI being neglected by mother Britain is the cause of such high numbers of poor mental health. I'm sure there'd be a correlation between similar neglected areas in northern England and parts of Wales

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2016, 11:27:40 AM
I doubt that other regions of the UK are any different, its a cultural thing and as prevalent in a run down estate in Dursley as it would be in an estate in Ballymena.

I know loads of people who are claiming DLA or other benefits and to be honest not many of them should be getting what they do.  What was the purpose of DLA in the first place?  I would imagine that for example it should be to help those who genuinely need it - i.e. if someone does not have the use of their legs, DLA is there to help them with transport or whatever other needs around the house etc that they require.  But giving DLA or other benefits out to our hundreds of supposed Fibromyalgia suffers or to all our obese and alcoholic people should not be happening.  I remember seeing a show where there was a mother and son in one house, and both were fond of the drink.  They got a serious amount of benefits, including him getting carers allowance for her and vice versa, how the hell does that work out?

Surely it would better off to make them walk  ;)  In fairness I know 2 people who got cars for being obese; it just means they can go to the chipper more often.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2016, 11:21:29 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2016, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 25, 2016, 11:22:09 PM
Just so you know, 19.5% of the northern population have some kind of disability. That almost 1/5 of the population.
How many people were maimed during the war?
Is there a higher proportion of the  population with long term mental health issues ?

The percentage is higher here in the north as a result of the Troubles. Both in terms of physical harm and mental health issues. Compared to the south for example, it's just over 11%. Not sure what is it for the different regions of the UK.
That is simply trotting out the same shite you hear from those in the victims industry in the North. No doubt there is a percentage due to that but when I go into Armagh on a Saturday the people I see hopping out of DLA cars parked in disabled spaces or pretend hobbling on sticks are not there as a result of the Troubles.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: johnneycool on February 26, 2016, 09:20:51 AM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on February 25, 2016, 10:16:33 PM
The majority of DLA claims also include a GP report.

Will be assessed different under PIP

I once spoke to a GP operating in a greater Belfast area about this and they hold me that if someone comes in with their form to be signed, and accompanied by a report, they just fill it in as they have to live and work in that same community and refusing it would cause all sorts of other hassle. Plus they'd just go to another Doctor who'd sign it anyway.
Plus the money is a wee bonus for the GP

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2016, 01:26:46 PM
Just so you know, 19.5% of the northern population have some kind of disability. That almost 1/5 of the population.
Is there a higher proportion of the  population with long term mental health issues ?

The percentage is higher here in the north as a result of the Troubles. Both in terms of physical harm and mental health issues. Compared to the south for example, it's just over 11%. Not sure what is it for the different regions of the UK.
That is simply trotting out the same shite you hear from those in the victims industry in the North. No doubt there is a percentage due to that but when I go into Armagh on a Saturday the people I see hopping out of DLA cars parked in disabled spaces or pretend hobbling on sticks are not there as a result of the Troubles.

How do you know that it's not?  Unless you're basing it on age profile then you can't say that for definite.  I have done a fair bit of work in the 'victims industry' as you put it and trust me you do not want to be where a lot of these people are.  I would include mad old Wullie in that as whatever his politics are the lad has serious mental health issues and much of it is related to the lose of family members during the troubles and the impact of the troubles.  Some people deal with things differently. I do accept there are dodgy enough clients but I can honestly say that the majority of ones I have dealt with over the years are genuine and are suffering,  in different ways.

StephenC

Doesn't mean they are not disabled. Many conditions can affect you in ways that are not obvious at first glance.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: StephenC on February 26, 2016, 03:18:54 PM

Doesn't mean they are not disabled. Many conditions can affect you in ways that are not obvious at first glance.
Disabled spaces are for people with serious mobility problems. Do you think someone who is depressed gets a blue badge for a disabled parking space  ???

StephenC

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2016, 03:42:22 PM

Disabled spaces are for people with serious mobility problems. Do you think someone who is depressed gets a blue badge for a disabled parking space  ???

Disabled spaces are for people with disabilities. It's not limited to those disabilities that you can see or that you deem as worthy. For example, how about someone with CF who get's very short of breath if they have to walk any distance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: StephenC on February 26, 2016, 04:31:36 PM

Disabled spaces are for people with disabilities. It's not limited to those disabilities that you can see or that you deem as worthy. For example, how about someone with CF who get's very short of breath if they have to walk any distance?
Dear me. The example posted is a mobility issue  ::).

ziggysego

Exactly. A lot of the time invisible disabilities are forgotten about, but very bit as real.
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Lot of people posting on here with 'man on the street' ideas of disability.  Unless you've worked directly with people or know them personally you should not judge whether or not they are disabled. Disabled spaces are for those people who have disabled badges. I dare you tony if you're so adamant about it to challenge these people who you believe don't deserve to park there. Challenge them and see what's wrong with them or not wrong with them as you seem to believe.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 26, 2016, 05:02:04 PM
Lot of people posting on here with 'man on the street' ideas of disability.  Unless you've worked directly with people or know them personally you should not judge whether or not they are disabled. Disabled spaces are for those people who have disabled badges. I dare you tony if you're so adamant about it to challenge these people who you believe don't deserve to park there. Challenge them and see what's wrong with them or not wrong with them as you seem to believe.
Try reading the posts as it will save both you and I time in the long run. At no point did I say people with blue badges weren't permitted to park in a disabled space. Anyone with a blue badge has a mobility issue. You don't get a badge for being depressed, an alkie or any of these other disabilities being disused earlier.

As for challenging people parking in disabled spaces. I do it regularly with wankers that have no badge.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2016, 05:13:17 PM
Try reading the posts as it will save both you and I time in the long run. At no point did I say people with blue badges weren't permitted to park in a disabled space. Anyone with a blue badge has a mobility issue. You don't get a badge for being depressed, an alkie or any of these other disabilities being disused earlier.

As for challenging people parking in disabled spaces. I do it regularly with w**kers that have no badge.

If they've no blue badges then your right to challenge them. You don't get blue badges easily.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 26, 2016, 05:27:09 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2016, 05:13:17 PM

As for challenging people parking in disabled spaces. I do it regularly with w**kers that have no badge.

If they've no blue badges then your right to challenge them. You don't get blue badges easily.
We have a blue badge for our wee lad but tend not to park in the spaces as he gets fired into a pram or trolley so it means we don't take up space for people who genuinely need it. I'll tend to get a bit hot under the collar when some other tr**p with no badge parks in it. It'll no doubt backfire some day and I'll get a clash  ;D

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2016, 04:36:37 PM

Dear me. The example posted is a mobility issue  ::).
Certain conditions which can affect mobility aren't considered under criteria for blue badge scheme. Can remember about a year ago on the radio someone with a severe case of her condition (arthritis?) but wasn't eligible for the blue badge scheme.