210,000 Northern DLA Claimants

Started by T Fearon, February 25, 2016, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I would like to see figures for how many people on DLA have never been in employment. I would say it's a fairly high number. Stress - related illnesses and "a sore back" ie nothing with a physical manifestation and easily faked would be favourites.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 25, 2016, 10:01:27 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 25, 2016, 09:47:41 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 25, 2016, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 25, 2016, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2016, 08:12:00 PM
Disability Living Allowance allegedly for people who can't walk or move around.

A lot broader remit that that Tony. There are many things covered and different levels. The level of fraud across benefits is very low,  around 2.5% of all benefits claimed. While there is a benefit culture in NI unless you have worked in that environment then you have no idea what it is like.

PIP will curtail a lot of it for now but it will simply readjust.

It's low for a couple of reasons. The people that investigate fraud are almost exclusively reliant on people "touting", they are massively under resourced. DLA for example, if someone has filled in the form correctly they will be awarded DLA. Now we all know that we don't have 210,000 "disabled" people here.

Getting the kids on DLA is hitting pay dirt (ADHD is a favourite), if you are on a benefit such as Income Support, you will get a monthly sum for the child from DLA plus your Income Support will increase with various premiums, as will your tax credits.

Another puzzling onus people on Job Seekers that get DLA, i.e. supposed to be actively seeking work but "disabled" at the same time

There's no doubt that there are plenty of 'blaggers' getting DLA unwarranted but trust me as someone who has worked directly with them there are fewer chancers came through my door than real genuine cases. When you do home visits you see the poverty that they live in and the poverty trap that they are caught in.

As regards those on JSA, the majority of those on DLA will be on ESA, which replaced Incapacity Benefits. They are not living high lives you know. While some have the DLA cars that has reduced dramatically in recent years. It is very hard to get the full mobility which allows you to get a car.

If you are on DLA and on say ESA for example (with the associated premiums), I can't see how that is "poverty". With Housing Benefit paying your rent. Or ESA/Income support paying the interest on your mortgage (indefinitely I think)
Exactly. On the pigs back. I have heard of families with parents on the bru/DLA and a few wains on special needs statements for ADHD, pulling down serious money with practically every bill paid for. They're not going to be looking for work when mugs like me are out working and paying their way.

Jeepers Creepers

Two Hands FFS

The majority of DLA claims also include a GP report.

Will be assessed different under PIP

naka

I know I am getting old when for the first time ever I heard the phrase" dole drop" .
I blame my mother for making me go to school as a teenager

No wides

This is the breakdown for 2015 November

https://www.dsdni.gov.uk/publications/benefits-statistics-summary-publication-national-statistic-november-2015

Those under 18 and over 60 account for 115,200 but headlines are always better than facts.

Saffrongael

I wonder are there figures available for those in receipt of DLA that are in employment ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

ziggysego

Just so you know, 19.5% of the northern population have some kind of disability. That almost 1/5 of the population.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on February 25, 2016, 11:22:09 PM
Just so you know, 19.5% of the northern population claim to have some kind of disability. That almost 1/5 of the population.

StephenC

Disability can come in may shapes and forms and I think it's dangerous to doubt all of the claimants.
But it'd be useful to compare it to other jurisdictions in % terms. What's the equivalent in ROI, Scotland, Wales etc?

johnneycool

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on February 25, 2016, 10:16:33 PM
The majority of DLA claims also include a GP report.

Will be assessed different under PIP

I once spoke to a GP operating in a greater Belfast area about this and they hold me that if someone comes in with their form to be signed, and accompanied by a report, they just fill it in as they have to live and work in that same community and refusing it would cause all sorts of other hassle. Plus they'd just go to another Doctor who'd sign it anyway.

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 25, 2016, 09:47:41 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 25, 2016, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 25, 2016, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2016, 08:12:00 PM
Disability Living Allowance allegedly for people who can't walk or move around.

A lot broader remit that that Tony. There are many things covered and different levels. The level of fraud across benefits is very low,  around 2.5% of all benefits claimed. While there is a benefit culture in NI unless you have worked in that environment then you have no idea what it is like.

PIP will curtail a lot of it for now but it will simply readjust.

It's low for a couple of reasons. The people that investigate fraud are almost exclusively reliant on people "touting", they are massively under resourced. DLA for example, if someone has filled in the form correctly they will be awarded DLA. Now we all know that we don't have 210,000 "disabled" people here.

Getting the kids on DLA is hitting pay dirt (ADHD is a favourite), if you are on a benefit such as Income Support, you will get a monthly sum for the child from DLA plus your Income Support will increase with various premiums, as will your tax credits.

Another puzzling onus people on Job Seekers that get DLA, i.e. supposed to be actively seeking work but "disabled" at the same time

There's no doubt that there are plenty of 'blaggers' getting DLA unwarranted but trust me as someone who has worked directly with them there are fewer chancers came through my door than real genuine cases. When you do home visits you see the poverty that they live in and the poverty trap that they are caught in.

As regards those on JSA, the majority of those on DLA will be on ESA, which replaced Incapacity Benefits. They are not living high lives you know. While some have the DLA cars that has reduced dramatically in recent years. It is very hard to get the full mobility which allows you to get a car.

So basically what you're saying is Tony has started another stupid thread?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Just so you know, 19.5% of the northern population have some kind of disability. That almost 1/5 of the population.
How many people were maimed during the war?
Is there a higher proportion of the  population with long term mental health issues ?

ziggysego

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2016, 10:58:39 AM
How many people were maimed during the war?
Is there a higher proportion of the  population with long term mental health issues ?

The percentage is higher here in the north as a result of the Troubles. Both in terms of physical harm and mental health issues. Compared to the south for example, it's just over 11%. Not sure what is it for the different regions of the UK.
Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

I doubt that other regions of the UK are any different, its a cultural thing and as prevalent in a run down estate in Dursley as it would be in an estate in Ballymena.

I know loads of people who are claiming DLA or other benefits and to be honest not many of them should be getting what they do.  What was the purpose of DLA in the first place?  I would imagine that for example it should be to help those who genuinely need it - i.e. if someone does not have the use of their legs, DLA is there to help them with transport or whatever other needs around the house etc that they require.  But giving DLA or other benefits out to our hundreds of supposed Fibromyalgia suffers or to all our obese and alcoholic people should not be happening.  I remember seeing a show where there was a mother and son in one house, and both were fond of the drink.  They got a serious amount of benefits, including him getting carers allowance for her and vice versa, how the hell does that work out?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'