Dublin vs Monaghan, Croke Park, 27/02/2016, 7pm

Started by charlie linkbox, February 23, 2016, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Major positive to see so many of the young players step up.

Cunny Funt

Very similar game to last years league semi final. Monaghan deserved at least a draw out of that game tonight though should be encouraged by their performance. The Dubs still have plenty of dirty diesel to blow out and were helped over the line by that fortunate penalty tonight.

Schkite

Bit of a kick in the balls not to get something out of that. I thought in the first half we'd rue some of those wides we hit, but even in the second half we had plenty of chances to win it. In previous years we would have crumbled after the penalty, but we rallied well and really should have got a result. But Dublin took their opportunities to get over the line and there's lessons to be learned for us.

Good experience for the younger lads, apart from Dessie I think everyone was 28 and under tonight. The likes of McCarthy, Carey, Kerr etc. got good experience in a tight game in Croker against the best team in the country. It's tough to take but hopefully we should be safe enough with 3 home games still to come - this was definitely the toughest game for us on paper so if we keep up that level of performance we'll be fine. 

Niall8100

Absolutely gutted with that result, a bit of composure in the last few minutes and Monaghan would have got something out of the game. Was seriously annoyed about that last minute free for Dublin. Should have gone the other way and given Monaghan a chance to draw. Still, a great performance especially from the younger lads, and McManus was just absolutely sensational. That will probably be the best performance we see from a single player all year.

SouthDublinBro

Monaghan just always seem to come up short against the big boys.

INDIANA

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on February 27, 2016, 10:10:41 PM

Scoring rate isn't high enough unfortunately.

One scoring forward short.

Declan

Enjoyable night in HQ. McManus in first 20 mins in particular a joy to watch. Up and down performance from Dublin. Impressed with Costello and then Young Carthy in second half. James McCarthy is a Rolls Royce of a player and Berno despite looking like he hadn't kicked a ball in months closed it out nicely

babarino

And you just always seem to be a w**ker.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on February 27, 2016, 11:55:25 PM

And you just always seem to be a w**ker.
seem?
is there a  sliver of doubt? ;D

timmyot501

What is the story with Kieran Hughes. Was a huge loss when he went off injured. Had been playing quite well and was contesting well around the middle.  Hope its nothing major

Main Street

I think the medic was checking out his ankle, at least the camera  zoomed into his foot with the rolled down sock and exposed ankle.  Could be just ligament strain but not ruptured as he could put weight on it.

Conallach

Both teams should be quite happy. High standard for a mid-league match. Rather enjoyable for a neutral.

Beffs

I'd say Jim Gavin would be the less happy of the two, even though he got the win....playing at home, lots of big names back, all that fire power up front, 3 week break to get some good training in, but they were lucky to win by a point in the end.

Main Street

I don't think Gavin will be too unhappy. The Dubs didn't win dirty, it was by virtue of beautiful struck winning point by Brogan, almost struck with McManus like elegance. That kind of score is relished.
I'd say a game like that, played with that intensity will please Gavin, the Dubs did back off a bit after the penalty but Monaghan did push them back  as well.
The game was fluid and for Monaghan the speed  of their offensive play and variety of movement is a welcome development.
My biggest worry was that this year we would have more of the same from O'Rourke, slow and ponderous which really only worked against Donegal.
Also kick outs were much improved from last year, Beggan was more Cluxtonlike than Cluxton himself and only one real c+ckup when trying to play out of the back.

heffo

Monaghan very unlucky not to get a deserved point but the game will stand to both teams.

McManus really is some player but needs more scoring support.