Congress 2016

Started by Line Ball, February 23, 2016, 07:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 26, 2016, 10:35:35 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 26, 2016, 10:22:43 PM
Motion 5 to change inter-county football U21 to U20, and play in June, July, and Aug is PASSED, with 68.6% for
Motion 4, to lower Minor grade age from U18 to U17,  is just PASSED, with 68.2% for. Effective from Jan 1, 2018. Inter-county Minor to U17 in football and hurling. Still U18 for clubs.
I think they should have kept the U21 football championship. Passed by 68.6% would suggest massive effort was put in to get rid of it.

Why do you think they should have kept it U21? It's a very progressive step in my opinion. With average age of senior players now younger and getting younger still, a move down from U21 is sensible and positive.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on February 26, 2016, 10:45:34 PM
Motion 5 to change inter-county football U21 to U20, and play in June, July, and Aug is PASSED, with 68.6% for
Motion 4, to lower Minor grade age from U18 to U17,  is just PASSED, with 68.2% for. Effective from Jan 1, 2018. Inter-county Minor to U17 in football and hurling. Still U18 for clubs.
I think they should have kept the U21 football championship. Passed by 68.6% would suggest massive effort was put in to get rid of it.

Why do you think they should have kept it U21? It's a very progressive step in my opinion. With average age of senior players now younger and getting younger still, a move down from U21 is sensible and positive.
A progressive step would be to do something about scheduling of sigerson cup football or to stop colleges from playing in pre-season competitions but of course it wasn't up for debate at congress.

U-21 football replaced and diluted while the hurling U-21 kept as it is makes no sense.

Farrandeelin

Am I the only one who thinks that the two should be both reduced in age, if they were going to reduce minor at all?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tiempo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 26, 2016, 11:04:04 PM
Quote from: ck on February 26, 2016, 10:45:34 PM

A progressive step would be to do something about scheduling of sigerson cup football or to stop colleges from playing in pre-season competitions but of course it wasn't up for debate at congress.

U-21 football replaced and diluted while the hurling U-21 kept as it is makes no sense.

Agreed. God help us when the first sudden death free kick shootout takes place. A horror show.

tiempo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 26, 2016, 11:20:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the two should be both reduced in age, if they were going to reduce minor at all?

Another horror show.

Syferus

The move to later in the year alone meant changing to U20 wasn't nesscary but the attempt to make the best U20/21 players ineligible for the grade if they dare take up the offer of being on the senior team will help gut the competition of the very players that light it up year after year. This is the most enjoyable, open and exciting IC competition of all so it's quite incredible to see delegates vote to damage it so severely and foist a terrible decision onto players rather than sort the issue out themselves.

Smacks more of an attempt to stealth kill a grade HQ wanted to kill in the past but failed to rather than protect players.

Captain Obvious

I thought Paraic Duffy wouldn't get his wish to get scrap the U21 All Ireland until it became unpopular however it seems popularly doesn't count for much in GAA anymore. That U-20 championship is a diluted version where the general public will quickly lose interest in that competition.

Rossfan

The naysayers in full flow!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FermGael

So they make a good decision for club football by moving minor to under 17. This should mean no more hold ups to club championship and league games due to county minors as they now can't play for their clubs senior team due to their age.
But they now create an under 20 competition that will be played in the summer months which senior county players cannot play in.
This will add another reason to cancel club league and championship games.

As others have said the fact that senior county plays cannot play in it will further devalue the competiion.
Counties with smaller player pools will be further weakened at this level.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

tippabu

Quote from: FermGael on February 27, 2016, 07:42:35 AM
So they make a good decision for club football by moving minor to under 17. This should mean no more hold ups to club championship and league games due to county minors as they now can't play for their clubs senior team due to their age.
But they now create an under 20 competition that will be played in the summer months which senior county players cannot play in.
This will add another reason to cancel club league and championship games.

As others have said the fact that senior county plays cannot play in it will further devalue the competiion.
Counties with smaller player pools will be further weakened at this level.

This weekend we have 3 under 21s starting v westmeath, possibly 4. As far as i know only 1 of them will be affected by the new rule though as only the 1 would be under 20

Farrandeelin

Club minor still U18. Such a balls of a rule to bring in. What if a club has a good minor tewm, but has 1 or 2 players on the county u20 team who are 18, and another 2 or 3 on the 'new' county minor/u17 team? It's ridiculous and if there is a player or 2 who are 18 on the u20 county panels, then surely to God June is stressful enough as it is for them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Throw ball

Personally think the changes are daft. Why have different rules for hurling and football too? If the changes to minor were to an under 17.5 (I.e. School year) I could see some logic as it would free the majority for exams. However, this will only mean that instead of A levels/Leaving being disrupted it will be GCSE/ Inter for some. I know at GCSE that involves more exams and a less experienced student. Instead of helping this adds greater burden IMHO.

Line Ball

Absolute madness again from the decision makers of the GAA who continue to ensure the elite are looked after and fcuk the clubs. It was bad enough last year with the vote to stop minors playing with their senior team until they are second year minor, as well as an 18 year old and a county minor cannot play with their club until the county team are knocked out of the championship.  Now this year the vote through a motion to cater for the elite county men which will once again hammer the clubs, with an U.20 championship played in June, July and August.  At least with the current timing clubs do not have these players for preseason which is bad in itself but now in the heart of the Summer months, never mind months of training beforehand, these lads will be playing county football and either not allowed to play with their club or too wrecked from loads of training, it just doesn't make sense.

Thes men who make these decisions are so out of touch with grassroots and the challenges of fielding at senior club level without better U.17, minor and now U.20 players.  County football is the only thing that matters nowadays.

shark

Quote from: Line Ball on February 27, 2016, 08:48:58 AM
Absolute madness again from the decision makers of the GAA who continue to ensure the elite are looked after and fcuk the clubs. It was bad enough last year with the vote to stop minors playing with their senior team until they are second year minor, as well as an 18 year old and a county minor cannot play with their club until the county team are knocked out of the championship.  Now this year the vote through a motion to cater for the elite county men which will once again hammer the clubs, with an U.20 championship played in June, July and August.  At least with the current timing clubs do not have these players for preseason which is bad in itself but now in the heart of the Summer months, never mind months of training beforehand, these lads will be playing county football and either not allowed to play with their club or too wrecked from loads of training, it just doesn't make sense.

Thes men who make these decisions are so out of touch with grassroots and the challenges of fielding at senior club level without better U.17, minor and now U.20 players.  County football is the only thing that matters nowadays.

I can see the situation in weaker counties where clubs will actively disencourage their young players from playing county u20. There is only one place for them in summer months and it's not on an underage B team, training to get smashed by Dublin.

tiempo

The over 40s has been changed to the over 41s, but not in hurling. If a draw after 60 mins the first captain to skull 2 pints wins the day.