2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 12:51:01 PM
He's a great example for all the kids growing up in Ireland who come from places where gaelic football doesn't exist.
There is a massive number of these kids from places like Pakistan, Poland, Nigeria, The Phillipines, Brazil, Kilkenny etc. that should be encouraged to get involved and play the game.

One of the big problems with so many of the GAA's games being on TG4 is that TG4 just doesn't even remotely register for this constituency  of new Irish in terms of promoting the game. Think of all the great games that TG4 had shown in the last even 3 months that a household where the channel is never switched to would have missed out on.

maigheo

Quote from: Chimley on May 01, 2016, 03:52:20 PM
So will these lads keep us dining at the top table?

It looks to me that they are more than the sum of their parts as a team and we mightn't get as many as we got from 06

That team had 6 players only a year out of minor. By my reckoning all that starting team yesterday were 20 or 21
Akram and the 2 subs Duffy and Carr were minor last year.

Jinxy

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 01, 2016, 04:07:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 12:51:01 PM
He's a great example for all the kids growing up in Ireland who come from places where gaelic football doesn't exist.
There is a massive number of these kids from places like Pakistan, Poland, Nigeria, The Phillipines, Brazil, Kilkenny etc. that should be encouraged to get involved and play the game.

One of the big problems with so many of the GAA's games being on TG4 is that TG4 just doesn't even remotely register for this constituency  of new Irish in terms of promoting the game. Think of all the great games that TG4 had shown in the last even 3 months that a household where the channel is never switched to would have missed out on.

I think TG4 do a great job but you have a point.
Would be wary of throwing the baby out with the bathwater in an attempt to 'go after' that market though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Free scoring forwards was the main reason why Mayo won the minor All Ireland three years ago and yesterday the U21 All Ireland final was won thanks to five goals scored by three forwards. It's that type of scoring Mayo have been lacking in senior All Ireland finals.

Jinxy

Don't mean to rain on the parade but most of the goals were comical and resulted more from really bad defending/goalkeeping rather than any Mayo ingenuity.
When I see a scoreline where one of the teams has scored almost as many as goals as points, I don't think 'free-scoring forwards', I think 'circus clown defenders'.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 04:44:12 PM
Don't mean to rain on the parade but most of the goals were comical and resulted more from really bad defending/goalkeeping rather than any Mayo ingenuity.
When I see a scoreline where one of the teams has scored almost as many as goals as points, I don't think 'free-scoring forwards', I think 'circus clown defenders'.
The goal scorers yesterday were all part of the 2013 All Ireland free scoring Mayo minor forward line, now while there was circus clown defending from Cork yesterday it still took cool heads to finish all those five goals. A forward with a cool head capable of scoring a brace of goals in senior All Ireland final could prove all the difference.

Chimley

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 03:55:01 PM
Plenty of 'middle third' types, but that's not what Mayo need at this point.
That said, if you've plenty of good lads in that area you will always be competitive.

Yes it looks that way. Maybe O Donaghue who has another year will make a decent corner back if he cuts out the 'in your face' stuff and Irwin has a chance up front. He's not very fast as you pointed out but neither is Cillian or Dean Rock

muppet

Quote from: Chimley on May 01, 2016, 05:30:59 PM
That said, if you've plenty of good lads in that area you will always be competitive.

Yes it looks that way. Maybe O Donaghue who has another year will make a decent corner back if he cuts out the 'in your face' stuff and Irwin has a chance up front. He's not very fast as you pointed out but neither is Cillian or Dean Rock

Irwin has long reminded me of Colin Corkery. If he was 75% as good he would be a major asset.
MWWSI 2017

Chimley

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2016, 05:38:44 PM

Irwin has long reminded me of Colin Corkery. If he was 75% as good he would be a major asset.

I forgot to mention Flanagan. He looks like he is the heir apparent in goals too. Another year at u21 too.

Jinxy

Colin Corkery would be a liability in the modern game.

maigheo

Wasn't overly impressed with Flanagan in goals.Did not deal with high  balls into the square very well and was saved in the first half from a bad kick out with a second ball on the field.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 06:16:20 PM

Colin Corkery would be a liability in the modern game.

I'd take him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppRAoN504VA
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Possibly, but they conceded only one goal against Kerry and one goal against Monaghan(and none against any other against team) so they can't be that bad.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

twohands!!!

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be getting too excited about these Mayo forwards especially when you take into account the high number of wides they had in terms of kicking points. Cork's defence yesterday was woefully bad (even aside from the keeper's nightmare), especially for a side in the final of a competition. Said it after the semis and yesterday confirmed my opinion that very few on display for either side are likely to have much of an influence for their senior sides in the immediate future.