Armagh v Fermanagh

Started by illdecide, February 19, 2016, 09:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

I think Armagh will beat Fermanagh this weekend.
LAOIS ABÚ

FermGael

The McRory semi final between Beesbrook and Lurgan is on before this match.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

PAULD123

Quote from: illdecide on February 23, 2016, 09:25:18 AM
You men are some craic, the wind up merchants who come on here trying to get people to slag McGeeney off...McGeeney even when he was with Kildare was the man people loved to hate for some reason ...

The problem had with Kieran McGeeney was the rumored income he was getting from Kildare. I say rumored because obviously nothing is official, but I am sure pretty much everyone would believe he was being quite well rewarded. So there was probably a bit of jealousy.

the second problem would be the representation of his results. McGeeney was lauded continuously by the media as achieving great things at Kildare.

NFL
He took over a team that had reached the league semi-finals but he was relegated from Division one in his first year and it took him 5 years to get them back.

Leinster
He was put out the Leinster championship in 2008 by division 4 Wicklow, 2009 by Dublin in the final, in 2010 by division 3 Louth, in 2011 by Dublin, in 2012 by Division 2 Meath, in 2013 by Dublin.

So he never beat Dublin, Never won Leinster, and only made one final.

Qualfiers
He made his name really through qualifier success but that also isn't a great record in scrutiny:
2008 - Beat Div 2 Cavan, Beat Div 2 Limerick, Beat Div 3 Fermanagh, Lost to Div 2 Cork
2009 - Beat Div 4 Wicklow, Lost to Div 1 Tyrone
2010 - Beat Div 3 Antrim, Beat Div 4 Leitrim,  Beat Derry (relegated from Div 1), Beat Div 1 Monaghan, Beat Div 2 Meath, lost to Div 2 Down
2011 - Beat Div 2 Laois, Beat Div 2 Derry, Lost to Div 2 Donegal
2012 - Beat Div 3 Cavan, Beat Div 3 Sligo, Lost to Div 1 Cork
2013 - Beat Div 2 Louth, Lost to Div 1 Tyrone

In the championship in 6 years Kildare managed in 2010 to beat Division 1 Monaghan and a relegated Division 1 Derry. But never beat a top side in any other match or any other year

in 2010 & 2011 Kildare were a team on the brink of the top table but there was a huge investment in time and money and they never quite made it. This is not a personal attack on McGeeney just on his record. These are just the facts not me calling him names or discrediting his personality. But just perhaps an explanation of why he hasn't performed a miracle at Armagh and why one may not come.

As I said before jealousy is probably a key factor why people like to knock him now but that is partly fueled by the belief he was paid better than the results above deserved.

illdecide

No doubt he hasn't had the best of results but did he get the best out of what he had or did he send them backwards? How much money was/is he really on if any? There's not too many knows the truth (and it's none of anybody's business), I believe he'd have you motivated and ready to go to battle alright as regards tactics i'll reserve that thought to the summer time when he has had a full squad to pick from...

I suppose when K McGeeney is getting it in the neck they're leaving someone else alone...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DuffleKing

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 23, 2016, 11:27:40 AM
You men are some craic, the wind up merchants who come on here trying to get people to slag McGeeney off...McGeeney even when he was with Kildare was the man people loved to hate for some reason ...

The problem had with Kieran McGeeney was the rumored income he was getting from Kildare. I say rumored because obviously nothing is official, but I am sure pretty much everyone would believe he was being quite well rewarded. So there was probably a bit of jealousy.

the second problem would be the representation of his results. McGeeney was lauded continuously by the media as achieving great things at Kildare.

NFL
He took over a team that had reached the league semi-finals but he was relegated from Division one in his first year and it took him 5 years to get them back.

Leinster
He was put out the Leinster championship in 2008 by division 4 Wicklow, 2009 by Dublin in the final, in 2010 by division 3 Louth, in 2011 by Dublin, in 2012 by Division 2 Meath, in 2013 by Dublin.

Qualfiers
He made his name really through qualifier success but that also isn't a great record in scrutiny:
2008 - Beat Div 2 Cavan, Beat Div 2 Limerick, Beat Div 3 Fermanagh, Lost to Div 2 Cork
2010 - Beat Div 3 Antrim, Beat Div 4 Leitrim,  Beat Derry (relegated from Div 1), Beat Div 1 Monaghan, Beat Div 2 Meath, lost to Div 2 Down

In the championship in 6 years Kildare managed in 2010 to beat Division 1 Monaghan and a relegated Division 1 Derry. But never beat a top side in any other match or any other year

in 2010 & 2011 Kildare were a team on the brink of the top table but there was a huge investment in time and money and they never quite made it. This is not a personal attack on McGeeney just on his record. These are just the facts not me calling him names or discrediting his personality. But just perhaps an explanation of why he hasn't performed a miracle at Armagh and why one may not come.

As I said before jealousy is probably a key factor why people like to knock him now but that is partly fueled by the belief he was paid better than the results above deserved.

Just what we need. The Down village idiot posting on Armagh subject matter.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 23, 2016, 01:03:29 PM

NFL

Leinster

Qualfiers

I know,  we have our own village idiots thank you very much!

FermGael

Jamies back lads ?
Tony will be happy

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: FermGael on February 23, 2016, 04:49:27 PM
Jamies back lads ?
Tony will be happy

Have you heard something different to him going away?

FermGael

I know nothing but I am surprised you don't

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 23, 2016, 01:27:40 PM

NFL

Leinster

Qualfiers

I know,  we have our own village idiots thank you very much!

Did someone call me?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Obvious

It will be a quick return to division three if Armagh don't win this game.

PAULD123

.....Just what we need. The Down village idiot posting on Armagh subject matter.

I didn't say one personally insulting thing about McGeeney and you have no justification for insulting me. I was careful to only present the facts. What part of that is idiocy? I would have expected some reasonably intelligent comment on the facts not just some small minded childish insult.

illdecide

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 24, 2016, 08:13:54 AM
.....Just what we need. The Down village idiot posting on Armagh subject matter.

I didn't say one personally insulting thing about McGeeney and you have no justification for insulting me. I was careful to only present the facts. What part of that is idiocy? I would have expected some reasonably intelligent comment on the facts not just some small minded childish insult.

But with you replying you're admitting you're the village idiot...lol :) :) :)

PAULD123

Quote from: illdecide on February 24, 2016, 08:53:24 AM
But with you replying you're admitting you're the village idiot...lol :) :) :)

not really sure how you make that out. I admit I am the person he was calling an idiot, but how does that in anyway say I agree with him. Because it doesn't and I don't. In fact my post above made it clear that I do not consider anything idiotic in my comments at all.

I would rather have a sensible discussion on what is expected from managers by supporters and Armagh is a very interesting case. You have a manager that has frequently been lauded as a great manager. Yet for Armagh so far has not produced great results. Down have a manager who was expected by the supporters to produce bad results and has produced bad results, so that is not interesting.

What's interesting is reputation, McGeeney developed a great reputation but I was pointing out that his actual results don't seem to back that up. So do Armagh supporters still think he is a great manager and the team is a disaster or when looking at his record does it make you think again about what should really have been expected from McGeeney?

As I said, in Down we have a poor team and a manager we expect little from. We expect relegation and are heading that way. So there is little of interest to discuss in comparing our expectations with our results.

illdecide

First of all i don't believe KMcG has built up a reputation i believe that was done thru media & keyboard know it alls. What he has built up is a bond with his players who would run thru walls for the man and i don't recall any past players from Kildare or Armagh bad mouthing him so he seems to have the players on his side and for that he can possibly get average players over achieving/punching above their weight.

What happened Kildare the year or two after he left? had he average players in Kildare punching above their weight (I believe so), in fairness to him i don't think it has fallen into place for him yet with Armagh due to Cross(and rightly so), injuries and players just not available to him. He may not be the best tactician in Ireland (or we may be underestimating him...i dunno) but he'll certainly have them all pulling in the one direction which is a big help but one thing is he'll always have plenty of people happy to see him fail no matter where's he at ???