Sean Cavanagh re 'doping' in the GAA

Started by Jinxy, February 17, 2016, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Would someone in the Tyrone county board please give Seán a small bit of media training.
Every time a tape recorder is put in front of him he blurts out whatever half-formed notions he has in his head.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/sean-cavanagh-players-willing-to-take-risk-on-banned-substances-382396.html

Have a look at the various different headlines doing the rounds on the back of this today.
He's obviously a well educated, intelligent lad so surely he understands that the media will do their best to cherry-pick quotes and present them out of context.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ohtoohtobe

I'd have a different view. I think it's about time this was a bigger issue because the general public are unbelievably naive about it and the more it's raised, the better.
I think people vastly underestimate the amount of players who would be at least dabbling with dangerous stuff. Lads down the gym are taking stuff just to look good. I know of club players at a relatively low level who take creatine and worse. Yet we think inter-county players who live for football wouldn't try to gain an edge. Of course they would and of course they are. Ryan McCluskey point blank said he knows of players taking steroids a few years ago. Also, Gaelic Life worked out you have something like a 0.04% chance of being tested. There have been several instances of teams missing tests because they aren't where they said they'd be.
It seems, however, that we just don't want to know. The attitude seems to be that we shouldn't be bothering inconveniencing our lads with any type of tests at all. With that mentality, the problem will spiral out of control in the years to come.

manfromdelmonte

I would think the likes of county minors and U21s are under huge pressure
Third level scholarships on the line etc

StGallsGAA

If you read carefully between the lines I think he's suggesting that most of the Dublin panel and management have been charlied off their coupons in Copperface Jacks every weekend since 2012.  The reference is subtle but there if you open your mind a little.

Puckoon

Are standard protein and BCAA supplements close to containing banned substances?

DennistheMenace

At least he's willing to talk about it.

Would he be getting paid as brand ambassador for EirGrid?

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on February 17, 2016, 09:57:04 PM
Would someone in the Tyrone county board please give Seán a small bit of media training.
Every time a tape recorder is put in front of him he blurts out whatever half-formed notions he has in his head.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/sean-cavanagh-players-willing-to-take-risk-on-banned-substances-382396.html

Have a look at the various different headlines doing the rounds on the back of this today.
He's obviously a well educated, intelligent lad so surely he understands that the media will do their best to cherry-pick quotes and present them out of context.
I honestly didn't think there was one thing wrong with what Sean said.

But I was at conference yesterday and at a break when people where standing round chatting, someone says - "did you hear there's a big problem with drugs in the GAA? They are going to start doing drug tests after games now."

And they got this information from the reporting of the Sean Cavanagh interview. Feckin bizarre.

WT4E

Quote from: DennistheMenace on February 18, 2016, 08:54:48 AM
At least he's willing to talk about it.

I'd say Sean gets paid everywhere he goes!

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on February 18, 2016, 09:20:25 AM

I honestly didn't think there was one thing wrong with what Sean said.

But I was at conference yesterday and at a break when people where standing round chatting, someone says - "did you hear there's a big problem with drugs in the GAA? They are going to start doing drug tests after games now."

And they got this information from the reporting of the Sean Cavanagh interview. Feckin bizarre.

There is no way that lads aren't doping in the GAA! It's happening at Club level and as for County level while you probably couldn't take them while part of a county panel I wouldn't be surprised if lads horsed them when younger to get a bit of an edge. Even taking one course and building up your muscle you can still retain I think 15-20% of the performance advantage going forward.

ONeill

You think he shouldn't talk about it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

You're completely missing the point.
I have no problem with what he was TRYING to say.
It's that fact that he said it in such a vague and muddled way that it allowed the media to put pretty much whatever twist they wanted on it.
Look at some of the headlines doing the rounds yesterday, which is as much as most people will probably read.
It also calls into question the medical and scientific support that Tyrone have because Sean doesn't sound like he has a bulls notion what he can and cannot take.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on February 18, 2016, 11:44:40 AM
You're completely missing the point.
I have no problem with what he was TRYING to say.
It's that fact that he said it in such a vague and muddled way that it allowed the media to put pretty much whatever twist they wanted on it.
Look at some of the headlines doing the rounds yesterday, which is as much as most people will probably read.
It also calls into question the medical and scientific support that Tyrone have because Sean doesn't sound like he has a bulls notion what he can and cannot take.

So you criticise the media for pretty much putting whatever twist they want on his comments....then in the same post you pretty much put whatever twist you want on his comments?  I agree though, all interviews should come with a disclaimer that morons can read whatever they want into the comments made.
That was never a square ball!!

GalwayBayBoy

Seems like he's just speaking honestly to me. Only way to stop the media making headlines out of interviews is to not speak to them at all. And then that becomes an issue in itself.

heffo

Quote from: DennistheMenace on February 18, 2016, 08:54:48 AM

Of course he is. Would you be willing to give up your time to promote a commercial company!?

Main Street

'But he (Sean) outlined how much of an imposition the testing procedures have been until now with the addition of blood testing, alongside urine testing, only adding to that burden.
"We've seen it at training on a Tuesday night, an hour from home only and guys still sitting there at a quarter to 12 at night waiting to give their sample when they have to get up for work the next morning at seven o'clock," continued Cavanagh.'

I would have thought that a tyrone player would be so full of it, that he could provide a urine sample on demand.
You live and learn.