How would you define Irishness and what it means to be Irish (32 c, obviously) ?

Started by seafoid, February 17, 2016, 12:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 17, 2016, 05:39:27 PM
As a people we have a small country mentality. Which is only natural as we are a small country. Because of this we will never be really anything other than a small part of any Jigsaw.
Small country positives

openness
friendliness
time for people
Less anal than other countries
flexible

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2016, 02:37:49 PM
Modern Irish seems to be

Atheist
Devoid of morality
Drunkeness
Foul mouthed
Greedy

None of which I can identify with
Point 2 tony, defending child abuse

seafoid

Difficulties with large volumes of money (see AIB)
Ambivalence
Very hard to get a straight answer
Don't tend to answer with 'yes' or 'no'
Sensitive to injustice
Liberal attitude to rules
Must have a house
Fake tan
Parochial (GAA did a fabulous job harnessing this )
Worship the US
Notions frowned on , except in celebrity magazines and on TV3
Sport has to come with analysis featuring a clown, a serious person and someone in the middle
Centrality of religion in schools, angelus, etc
Not militaristic
Generous with charities

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on February 17, 2016, 07:01:45 PM
Argumentative.
Good at funerals.
Not very fashionable.

That's very close to mine:

Always having a laugh.
Good at funerals.
Not very fashionable.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Clientelist
You are supposed to learn stuff by watching, never from first principles eg sports

T Fearon

Seafoid I never ever defended child abuse and never will,I have lamented past Church and parental failings in this area.

seafoid

Not English
Influence of Gaeilge in accent
Poor planning capacity
Drink in rounds
Focus on education

Applesisapples

Quote from: Clov on February 17, 2016, 07:15:26 PM
Insecurity about one's identity must rank pretty highly.

I think Behan said it best - 'other people have a nationality. The Jews and the Irish have a psychosis'.
Fcuk did Behan know Tony that well?

Applesisapples

To paraphrase a famous Clareman, In Ireland we love our traditional music but we love our hurling too. Real Irishmen put hurling or (Horlin as it is known in some parts of Armagh not to be confused with whoring which is a much more international sport) above all else even their love of Celtic, Man U and Liverpool.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 18, 2016, 10:56:54 AM
To paraphrase a famous Clareman, In Ireland we love our traditional music but we love our hurling too. Real Irishmen put hurling or (Horlin as it is known in some parts of Armagh not to be confused with whoring which is a much more international sport) above all else even their love of Celtic, Man U and Liverpool.

And East East East Ty-rone

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on February 17, 2016, 08:04:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 17, 2016, 07:01:45 PM
Argumentative.
Good at funerals.
Not very fashionable.

That's very close to mine:

Always having a laugh.
Good at funerals.
Not very fashionable.

Bending the rules and wee white lies are all ok.
Community orientated.

Itchy

Back in the 80s and 90s I had a good idea of being Irish meant to me. Now I look around and quite a lot of what I see is greedy, self centered, what's in it for me type attitude. The old Ireland is getting harder to find. So right now I don't think in the majority of cases there is much difference between Ireland and anywhere else in the western world.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2016, 11:50:47 AM
Back in the 80s and 90s I had a good idea of being Irish meant to me. Now I look around and quite a lot of what I see is greedy, self centered, what's in it for me type attitude. The old Ireland is getting harder to find. So right now I don't think in the majority of cases there is much difference between Ireland and anywhere else in the western world.
It's the all pervasive American culture.

The Iceman

Extremely loyal - as friends and family
Hospitable - we know how to open our homes and make people feel welcome
Travel well - we are well received wherever we go and make an effort to share the Irish culture all over the world
Indulging of stereotypes - we like to play up the drinking a bit too much
Naturally cynical - can be a great strength and driving force for success but also a horrible weakness
Fighters
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight