It's only a minority of Muslims right ?

Started by Dalquen, February 16, 2016, 03:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I thought this thread was about Muslims. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2016, 02:20:29 PM

Only a minority though... The rest are racist, sexist, and bigots i.e the Irish
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

It's a pity we can't afford amusing sockpuppets.

No wides

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2016, 03:08:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2016, 02:20:29 PM

Only a minority though... The rest are racist, sexist, and bigots i.e the Irish

And in your case if the shoe fits.  ;)

J70

Quote from: Meadbh on March 05, 2016, 01:48:10 PM

Again. Our actions don't exist in a vacuum. Flying the confederate flag is racist. No matter if its done in ignorance, it's racist. This is a pretty basic point. And it's white privilege that allows people to just nonchalantly wave this flag with absolutely no thought as to what it means. Again - I wonder how mixed race Irish people would feel seeing that flag waved at a GAA match.

So if it was a bunch of ignorant Chinese people waving the confederate flag, would that be "white privilege"?

The use of the flag in the context the Cork supporters use it does not prove racism or racist intent.

County flags of all 32 counties do not come with racist connotations. As I said, they're part of our indigenous culture which is why comparisons of Sligo colours with ISIS etc are plainly stupid. A Sligo flag is not an ISIS flag ffs.

Who said the Sligo flag is an ISIS flag??  ::)

What I said was that if you excuse, on account of similar colours, the use of confederate flags by Cork supporters, then you would, at some point, probably have to excuse the use of ISIS flags by Sligo supporters.

It's when you take a flag that is emblematic of racism that problems start.

Hence my point about hypothetical Sligo supporters using ISIS flags.

This really isn't difficult to understand and I'm disappointed in the outcry coming from some posters who are adamant of the right for ignoramuses to wave the Confederate flag without being called out for their racism.

Ignorance, insensitivity, idiocy... not necessarily racism.

Meadbh

This is absolutely ridiculous. The flying of the Confederate flag is racist, in any context. Ignorance does not cancel out racism ffs. I notice no-one has replied to my repeated question of how mixed-race Irish GAA attendees might feel upon seeing a confederate flag flown at a game. But sure, it's just people being insensitive, right? Grand so.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Meadbh on March 05, 2016, 06:33:56 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. The flying of the Confederate flag is racist, in any context. Ignorance does not cancel out racism ffs. I notice no-one has replied to my repeated question of how mixed-race Irish GAA attendees might feel upon seeing a confederate flag flown at a game. But sure, it's just people being insensitive, right? Grand so.
As stated by J70, if it was flown in the context that Cork fans have used it for years, these "mixed-race" fans would fall firmly into the bracket of going out of their way to be offended. Just because someone takes offence at something doesn't make it offensive in the eyes of the general public. In general, large swathes of the white middle-class need to get over themselves, find themselves a hobby other than spouting shite on Twitter and let "mixed-race" and all other colours and creeds feel offended by themselves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 05, 2016, 06:45:32 PM
As stated by J70, if it was flown in the context that Cork fans have used it for years, these "mixed-race" fans would fall firmly into the bracket of going out of their way to be offended. Just because someone takes offence at something doesn't make it offensive in the eyes of the general public. In general, large swathes of the white middle-class need to get over themselves, find themselves a hobby other than spouting shite on Twitter and let "mixed-race" and all other colours and creeds feel offended by themselves.

Agreed...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

I think a mixed race person would be offended, and rightly so. Hence the insensitivity and ignorance of those supporters using it. But the supporters intent is NOT racist. They're not bigots in the US Deep South trying to make a statement about the righteousness of slavery and segregation society and the lost cause. They're just idiots who seized upon the coinciding "rebel" label, colours and cool design and decided, without a thought to the real meaning of the flag, to coopt it.

And they should not be using it any more. There's no excuse for such ignorance. I would go as far to say that the Cork County Board /GAA should actively discourage it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on March 05, 2016, 09:40:10 PM

I think a mixed race person would be offended, and rightly so. Hence the insensitivity and ignorance of those supporters using it. But the supporters intent is NOT racist. They're not bigots in the US Deep South trying to make a statement about the righteousness of slavery and segregation society and the lost cause. They're just idiots who seized upon the coinciding "rebel" label, colours and cool design and decided, without a thought to the real meaning of the flag, to coopt it.

And they should not be using it any more. There's no excuse for such ignorance. I would go as far to say that the Cork County Board should actively discourage it.
And get all the nation's of the world to change their flag for atrocities committed over the past few hundred years. You see the odd Japanese flag at matches. It to?

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 05, 2016, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 05, 2016, 09:40:10 PM

And they should not be using it any more. There's no excuse for such ignorance. I would go as far to say that the Cork County Board should actively discourage it.
And get all the nation's of the world to change their flag for atrocities committed over the past few hundred years. You see the odd Japanese flag at matches. It to?

Changing flags for historical reasons has happened quite often in various countries. Why is that relevant to this topic about the confederate flag?

As for rising sun flag, at least that is still used by Japan, but it has obvious controversial implications due to Imperial Japan's conduct in the Far East and WW2. Nowhere near as clear cut as confederate flag.

Declan

Shows how the media can influence our thinking

AZOffaly

Lies, damn lies and statistics. :)

I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'd like to know the context. How many people were asked, and where were they asked. If you wanted to make a point like that, it would be perfect to ask someone in Marseille, say, or maybe New York, or Bradford that question. They'll obviously answer based on what they know and experience. If you were to ask someone in St. Jean de Mont, Scottsdale or Exeter, they might answer a lot lower.

J70

Pew is a top notch survey/research outfit.

I'm sure they took pains to sample representatively in the US.

Can't speak to the other companies.

sid waddell

Quote from: Declan on December 14, 2016, 02:47:25 PM
Shows how the media can influence our thinking

"But, but, but, but...we're being swamped! We're being outnumbered in our own country!"