NHL 2016

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2016, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

A trip to that kip of a ground in Ennis is Tipperary's reward.
I heard they tried to revamp the place and only made it worse.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Premier Emperor on March 22, 2016, 09:17:40 AM
A trip to that kip of a ground in Ennis is Tipperary's reward.
I heard they tried to revamp the place and only made it worse.
You want a reward for finishing 4th out of 6?

GaillimhIarthair

Well that compounds a truly miserable day for us Galway folks - beaten at home by one of the worst hurling sides ever to come out of Cork apparently!

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

That was poor by Tipp today, and while you can't legislate for Niall O'Meara, Bubbles, Seamie Callanan and Noel McGrath all having stinkers from play, the same old failings were there to see. In a strong position, looking physically stronger, but lost any semblance of fight in the forwards as soon as the fat went on the fire. It's actually annoying watching it at this stage. Michael Ryan has a big job on this summer to try and smash that glass ceiling. We all know they have the hurlers, but if you don't fight and win your own ball, you might as well be outside with the rest of us, looking at it.

As for Offaly, embarrassing is the word.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2016, 09:04:14 PM
That was poor by Tipp today, and while you can't legislate for Niall O'Meara, Bubbles, Seamie Callanan and Noel McGrath all having stinkers from play, the same old failings were there to see. In a strong position, looking physically stronger, but lost any semblance of fight in the forwards as soon as the fat went on the fire. It's actually annoying watching it at this stage. Michael Ryan has a big job on this summer to try and smash that glass ceiling. We all know they have the hurlers, but if you don't fight and win your own ball, you might as well be outside with the rest of us, looking at it.

Tipp are not going to be at the races this year imo

AZOffaly

You don't say ? :)

I think Tipp have the game to be right up there, but there is definitely a problem with regard to close games. Skill wise, they are as good as anyone, and I mean anyone. Mentally, I worry about them.

But as for Galway!

AZOffaly

I presume the semi finals will be a double header in Thurles? Kilkenny v Clare and Limerick v Waterford. Wouldn't make sense anywhere else?

Asal Mor

Anyone else try to count the steps that Shanagher took for his winning goal after winning possession? It was difficult to tell with the speed his legs were moving at, but I estimated it to be 14. He was being fouled by Cathal Barrett at the time and this seems to be the way it's refereed generally, if a player is being fouled he can take as many steps as he needs to escape the defender. I think  they need to look at the steps rule, as far as I know it stands at four steps and that's broken every time a player gets possession. It's a bit mickey mouse and undermines the game.

Didn't get to the Galway game. Spent the day with my daughter instead which was a very good call. They are missing a lot of players at the moment but imo the most important of them is Johnny Glynn and it looks like he won't be back. Anthony Cunningham wouldn't be human if he didn't take a little satisfaction from today and he's entitled to it. The manager that players want/like isn't always the manager that they need.

fearglasmor

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2016, 09:04:14 PM

AZ. Time to stop being embsrrassed. Offaly are nowhere near the top 10 in hurling and havent been for a long time now. And sadly there doesnt seem to be any evidence of any change coming. I am old enough to remember before 1980.  :(

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 03, 2016, 11:25:28 PM
Anyone else try to count the steps that Shanagher took for his winning goal after winning possession? It was difficult to tell with the speed his legs were moving at, but I estimated it to be 14. He was being fouled by Cathal Barrett at the time and this seems to be the way it's refereed generally, if a player is being fouled he can take as many steps as he needs to escape the defender. I think  they need to look at the steps rule, as far as I know it stands at four steps and that's broken every time a player gets possession. It's a bit mickey mouse and undermines the game.

The two fouls are linked IMO, we've now developed into a game of pulling and dragging rather than proper tackling and referees are now inclined to give the player a few extra steps to compensate for the pulling hence Shanaghers goal, but there's loads of other instances over the weekend.

Donal ÓG was ridiculed for bringing up the spare arm tackle as sour grapes a few years back, but he was right and now everyone is at it, and there's no doubt its being coached. Davy added Paul Kinnerk to his backroom team and he'd written an article on it a few years back as to how it should be carried out, which I found strange as its an out and out foul, albeit one thats let go, but then again I remember Paudie O'Neill advocating the 'third man tackle' in the ruck ball situation which if you watch closely is also never given by a referee.

That aside I though Tipp were winning most to the physical duels at both ends of the field, but lost the mental battle when Shanagher goaled, they couldn't get the response they needed.
They've still some of the best forwards going in their ranks and I'd not be dismissing them yet as its only April!!

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2016, 10:26:03 PM
You don't say ? :)

I think Tipp have the game to be right up there, but there is definitely a problem with regard to close games. Skill wise, they are as good as anyone, and I mean anyone. Mentally, I worry about them.

But as for Galway!

Tipp no different then from Galway in that regard - both have exact same weaknesses. Galway's great mitigation in this league is the devastation of their defence by injuries, nowhere near a full-strength showing at any stage.

AZOffaly

Absolutely. I think I even said that up above on this thread, or one like it :)

One other thing from yesterday which was a joke. Bubbles O'Dwyer and Cathal O'Doherty,I think it was (number 17 for Clare, who started the game), got yellow cards for acting the maggot early in the game (about all that Bubbles did to be fair), and then O'Doherty slapped down recklessly on Niall O'Meara's helmet, as O'Meara was setting up a point for John McGrath. The ref went over to yellow card O'doherty, and then realised who he had. He 'decided' to run in an have a quick chat with an umpire, who was about 40 yards away and looking at it from behind (the ref was 20 yards away looking right at it) and came out and did the old 'no more of it' gesture to O'Doherty.

I hate when refs bottle big decisions, even though I know why he didn't want to send him off. If it was a yellow card, (and it was) then it was a red card. If he was sorry he gave him a yellow for the first bit of messing, then that's more of it.

Clare took O'Doherty off about 2 minutes after that.

Canalman

Very surprised to see that Cork team stay up. Very surprised.

Spell in div 2 not the worst thing in the world despite what pundits say. A nice place to blood and prime a new team for a season or two............... imo anyway . Very hard to get relegated from it as well which I think is a proper disgrace.

AZOffaly

I think Div 1b can be very worthwhile for teams who approach it in the right frame of mind, and especially if they need to build up a build of confidence. You have a couple of decent games, and one (at least) very good game.  However, you really cannot afford to have a bad day at all, because while it is hard to get relegated from, it is also a bitch to get promoted from.