NHL 2016

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2016, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 18, 2016, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 04:24:20 PM
Quote from: Sean3 on April 18, 2016, 02:25:41 PM
If I was Eoin Murphy I wouldn't be looking forward to his next meeting with Brian Cody! He was at least partly at fault for the first, should have kept out the second and was largely responsible for the third goal. Conor McGrath's goal was a thing of beauty, a carbon copy of his goal in the 2013 final replay. Clare played very well but it will be interesting to see how their movement copes in the pressure the Waterford backs will put it under.

Once Waterford put on the heat yesterday there was no way back for Limerick. As stated by AZ, the short puckouts were lunacy. They were outmuscled in the forwards - Cian Lynch was easily held. I thought Limerick would have more about them. Waterford were very good and impressive.

Eoin Murphy recognised what Clare were up to and tried to help his fullback out, went badly for him all the same. Still the best keeper in the game at the minute IMO.

True. Joey Holden was destroyed under that high ball. Very unusual for Kilkenny. You could see it from the first ball in, where he was basically just desperately trying to push Conlon out of the way. I know that's a good tactic for a full back, but it wasn't done very comfortably. You knew if a ball came in dropping on the edge of the square that he was ballixed.

If that was championship, I doubt Cody would have looked at Holden in there for longer than 15 minutes.

I would expect Murphy would have made a massive difference in there.

Murphy wouldn't have got sucked up the field to leave Holden isolated, and would have been there to pick up the scraps unlike Prenderghast and Kennedy (I think) were. At the same time Cody should have made changes, but didn't which I thought was strange! I presume that big lad Lennon is still injured!

Yes Clare have shown their hand and I'd be concerned if they've much of a championship kick in them from Sunday and there's no doubt Kilkenny will be a very different beast in a few months time.
In saying that I thought the Clare backs touch wasn't overly great and they could improve upon that drastically.

theskull1

We all know Cody's no dozer. I'd say he'd be silently happy that they were brought back to earth just before championship season. Leaving Holden out on a limb against Condon isn't something you'd expect to see come summer so reading between the lines I'd say he'll be making use of this defeat in the coming months.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on April 19, 2016, 10:22:26 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 18, 2016, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 04:24:20 PM
Quote from: Sean3 on April 18, 2016, 02:25:41 PM
If I was Eoin Murphy I wouldn't be looking forward to his next meeting with Brian Cody! He was at least partly at fault for the first, should have kept out the second and was largely responsible for the third goal. Conor McGrath's goal was a thing of beauty, a carbon copy of his goal in the 2013 final replay. Clare played very well but it will be interesting to see how their movement copes in the pressure the Waterford backs will put it under.

Once Waterford put on the heat yesterday there was no way back for Limerick. As stated by AZ, the short puckouts were lunacy. They were outmuscled in the forwards - Cian Lynch was easily held. I thought Limerick would have more about them. Waterford were very good and impressive.

Eoin Murphy recognised what Clare were up to and tried to help his fullback out, went badly for him all the same. Still the best keeper in the game at the minute IMO.

True. Joey Holden was destroyed under that high ball. Very unusual for Kilkenny. You could see it from the first ball in, where he was basically just desperately trying to push Conlon out of the way. I know that's a good tactic for a full back, but it wasn't done very comfortably. You knew if a ball came in dropping on the edge of the square that he was ballixed.

If that was championship, I doubt Cody would have looked at Holden in there for longer than 15 minutes.

I would expect Murphy would have made a massive difference in there.

Murphy wouldn't have got sucked up the field to leave Holden isolated, and would have been there to pick up the scraps unlike Prenderghast and Kennedy (I think) were. At the same time Cody should have made changes, but didn't which I thought was strange! I presume that big lad Lennon is still injured!

Yes Clare have shown their hand and I'd be concerned if they've much of a championship kick in them from Sunday and there's no doubt Kilkenny will be a very different beast in a few months time.
In saying that I thought the Clare backs touch wasn't overly great and they could improve upon that drastically.

Without Fennelly and Richie Power KK lose a lot of pace up front too. Them boys would make a lot of difference but Walter Walsh and Jon Power aren't the paciest.

In the grand scheme of things it probably won't matter but I do think Clare are the only team with the players to potentially take Kilkenny.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on April 19, 2016, 11:01:32 AM
We all know Cody's no dozer. I'd say he'd be silently happy that they were brought back to earth just before championship season. Leaving Holden out on a limb against Condon isn't something you'd expect to see come summer so reading between the lines I'd say he'll be making use of this defeat in the coming months.

That is my take on it, although in the back of my mind he may have also considered that he'd no one better to replace Holden and need Tyrrell and Murphy back fit more than he'd care to imagine!

The cupboard might be getting a bit bare when it comes to championship defenders as these older lads begin to carry the odd injury or two.
Forward wise the Fennellys will make a difference, but Michael might be forced into a centre back position if they lose aerial supremacy in defence!

AZOffaly

Re Centre Back, and aerial dominance, it was start how they just ignored Darach Honan on the puckouts. There's no way Kilkenny would allow that happen in championship. Honan played wing forward, and for every Clare puckout, he just ran across the field, and Kilkenny just let him off. He caught a good few, won a few breaks, and generally was a real problem. You can be sure that tactic wouldn't be as profitable in Croke Park in an All Ireland semi final.

theskull1

Think we're all in agreement that too much was allowed to happen that wouldn't happen at another time of year. I'm sure Clare themselves will know that when they look back at the game. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Unlaoised

Having watched the match for a second time I dare to suggest the Cats weren't going at it full tilt....Just seemed half hearted with tackling and even in the rucks(they are so famous for winning)

Was Cody happy to take this defeat?

LAOIS ABÚ

ashman

Clare got three soft goals in first half .  Can t see KK conceding such goals come c"ship.

Clare played well all through and were helped by KK having to chase game.

I would love to see the next few KK training sessions.

Waterford won't give Clare anything like this space if they play to their rigid system but I wonder might they be a little more open with early June in mind.

LK were a shambles .

Milltown Row2

seriously lads?? We've been writing Kilkenny off for years and they keep coming back, because they lose a game then they are not the Kilkenny team of old and the players retiring and what not, the reality is different, they will win Leinster and get to semi's where they will be up against it for 60 minutes and pull away in the last 10... Have a serious tussle with the Tipp/Clare/Waterford but come out the other side.....

Only when Cody steps away will Kilkenny lose their winning streak, that's my opinion for what its worth (feck all :P )
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Who's writing them off? I know I'm not. In fact I was saying there's no way that game would have been allowed pan out the way it did if it was a championship match.

*That said* I do think there is an aura around Kilkenny that is not justified when you look at their players. Cody has a lot to answer for :) I was sitting in Thurles before the game on Sunday, and I looked at the teamsheets, and more pertinently the subs benches. There was no comparison, and it wasn't Kilkenny that looked so strong in depth, it was Clare.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2016, 11:46:54 AM
Who's writing them off? I know I'm not. In fact I was saying there's no way that game would have been allowed pan out the way it did if it was a championship match.

*That said* I do think there is an aura around Kilkenny that is not justified when you look at their players. Cody has a lot to answer for :) I was sitting in Thurles before the game on Sunday, and I looked at the teamsheets, and more pertinently the subs benches. There was no comparison, and it wasn't Kilkenny that looked so strong in depth, it was Clare.

No ones writing Kilkenny off but there's no denying that after their starting 15 things are a bit suspect especially with long term injuries to Alyward, Maher and Tyrrell seemingly struggling to get fit, although a fit Michael Rice is a plus.
An injury to TJ Reid could level the playing field.

ashman

Last week Kk were favourites to win the AI with Boylesports and Paddy Power .

In other words no one is really writing them off.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2016, 11:42:24 AM
seriously lads?? We've been writing Kilkenny off for years and they keep coming back, because they lose a game then they are not the Kilkenny team of old and the players retiring and what not, the reality is different, they will win Leinster and get to semi's where they will be up against it for 60 minutes and pull away in the last 10... Have a serious tussle with the Tipp/Clare/Waterford but come out the other side.....

Only when Cody steps away will Kilkenny lose their winning streak, that's my opinion for what its worth (feck all :P )
Dead right.

johnneycool

Conlan is out for Clare, I think he's a very important cog in their forwards and will be missed badly..

Waterford will want to keep the winning habit and Clare ditto. I think they'd both go for it and we'll get a full blooded encounter...

Waterford to just shade it by denying Clare goals.

Farrandeelin

Great game for us neutrals. Neither deserved to lose.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.