All Ireland Club SFC Semi-finals Feb 2016

Started by general_lee, February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: moysider on February 14, 2016, 12:25:31 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 13, 2016, 10:10:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2016, 09:57:16 PM
Would Douglas make it onto the Mayo team? He can score, unlike a few of the forwards on the county side
I think all of the scores Douglas got tonight were frees. What Mayo seniors need is more free scoring forwards from play.

I think he has matured well. He was always able to bag a score but his decision making used to be an issue imo. He sees the fuller picture now I think.

Scoring from play is what you want and Douglas will do that given time and space. The trick for top teams and coaches is to create space for their finishers. Something we re not good at. Meanwhile we give the marquee guy on the other side the freedom of the park to work his magic. Compare the looseness Jamie Clarke got to work his magic to the dogging likes of Douglas and Kirby got. If Jamie Clarke was given that space to play every day I don t think he would be travelling as much.

Douglas will get a run with Mayo again I think. Maybe 4/5 of that Castlebar team have something to offer. Durkin will take something else to keep him off the starting 15.

Remember seeing Durkan playing for the Mayo minors on TV in Croker a few years back & taking note of his name. He looked a definite senior county player that day.
Excellent player

Rossfan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 14, 2016, 08:43:16 AM
Two weeks a row the steps rule has been ignored

Yet one of the most basic rules of the game is being ignored. Same with hurling. How are you meant to tackle a lad if he's allowed take 6+ steps?

+1 but it's every fkn week.
Half the pullindraggin in football would be eliminated if the steps rule was strictly and CONSISTENTLY enforced.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 13, 2016, 11:42:20 PM
Thought the Cross Castlebar game was superb.

Barry Moran lorded it for Castlebar in the middle of the park for Castlebar and they just dominated Cross in the second half. For me, the game was lost on the line for Cross, why did they leave it until injury time to introduce McKenna when Moran was so influential. He's the only player in the entire Cross squad with the size to match or negate Moran. If Cross could have broken an even or even 40% of the primary ball then they would have won such was the joy Clarke was having inside when the ball was going in.

Once again the old start a melee proved the surefire way to effectively run down the clock, that's not a slant on Castlebar either. Any team that has a serious notion of being successful at that level have to know how to bend the rules to their advantage, but when are referees going to clamp down on it and add the time on? It's the only way to combat and deter this which is becoming all the more commonplace.

How many of those Cross boys will join up with the Armagh panel now? Young O'Neill looks a big talent and Rushe at full back is definitely one to look out for. Actually felt sorry for Rushe today, very much a victim of the Cross arrogance/virtuousness in that he was left one on one on the edge of the square today with a guy who had a 3 or 4 inch advantage of him, maybe that's more of an indication of the modern game that I'm bemoaning that but I felt he did well under the circumstances.

Castlebar should win the final comfortably.

Ballyboden looked really average in the other semi.

Ballyboden have more better players then Castebar in my opinion. They played as bady as could yesterday with 14 men and won.

They have a former inter county footballer of the year, multiple formerDublin minors and u21s , former Dublin senior footballers ,and a number of senior inter county hurlers who are very good footballers with inter county levels of fitness to call on. Boden will have someone to shut down Durkan.

They will win the final in my opinion. I wasn't massively impressed with the quality of either game. I thought both of them were largely crap.

Redhand Santa

Not sure what some of you boys want from football but I thought both games were very entertaining. Very competitive, some great scores and all teams put in huge shifts.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on February 14, 2016, 12:10:14 PM

Barry Moran lorded it for Castlebar in the middle of the park for Castlebar and they just dominated Cross in the second half. For me, the game was lost on the line for Cross, why did they leave it until injury time to introduce McKenna when Moran was so influential. He's the only player in the entire Cross squad with the size to match or negate Moran. If Cross could have broken an even or even 40% of the primary ball then they would have won such was the joy Clarke was having inside when the ball was going in.

Once again the old start a melee proved the surefire way to effectively run down the clock, that's not a slant on Castlebar either. Any team that has a serious notion of being successful at that level have to know how to bend the rules to their advantage, but when are referees going to clamp down on it and add the time on? It's the only way to combat and deter this which is becoming all the more commonplace.

How many of those Cross boys will join up with the Armagh panel now? Young O'Neill looks a big talent and Rushe at full back is definitely one to look out for. Actually felt sorry for Rushe today, very much a victim of the Cross arrogance/virtuousness in that he was left one on one on the edge of the square today with a guy who had a 3 or 4 inch advantage of him, maybe that's more of an indication of the modern game that I'm bemoaning that but I felt he did well under the circumstances.

Ballyboden have more better players then Castebar in my opinion. They played as bady as could yesterday with 14 men and won.

They have a former inter county footballer of the year, multiple formerDublin minors and u21s , former Dublin senior footballers ,and a number of senior inter county hurlers who are very good footballers with inter county levels of fitness to call on. Boden will have someone to shut down Durkan.

They will win the final in my opinion. I wasn't massively impressed with the quality of either game. I thought both of them were largely crap.

I don't think so, Ballyboden have been blessed to get past both Portlaoise and Clonmel to date. They seem to have a complete lack of players who can put the ball over the bar.

Syferus

The Dublin champions looked very limited yesterday.

From the Bunker

They were only down for 10 minutes of the whole match to 14 men. You make it sound like they played the whole game?

galwayman

Would be very surprised if the Mitchels don't win the final

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on February 14, 2016, 01:59:14 PM

The Dublin champions looked very limited yesterday.

The Dublin SFC is the best county championship in the country  at this minute in time Syferus. Dummies don't win it.

Boden's weakness is both wing  forward positions. They don't have many or any others.

general_lee

If BBSE have any notion of winning the final they'd need to find 6 forwards. And a free taker that doesn't miss from 21 yards

INDIANA

Quote from: general_lee on February 14, 2016, 02:25:37 PM
If BBSE have any notion of winning the final they'd need to find 6 forwards. And a free taker that doesn't miss from 21 yards

Castlebar just need  ensure they bring the form to Croke Park.

Ballyboden have a number of guys playing where Croke Park is a second home.

It would suit the Northern Agenda here to have Castlebar win because at least Cross could say they lost to the winners!

shark

Quote from: T Fearon on February 13, 2016, 11:52:34 PM
Curse you Ballyboden,had a nice little Double at 3/1 coming,but both they and Castlebar needed to win in Normal time😠. Crossmgalen reign is over,two defeats in two semi finals and needed a replay to beat a Westmeath team in their last final,in 2012.

Interesting to read that 18 out of the last 20 senior club titles have gone to Connacht and Ulster.In the same period only 7 Sams have gone to the same provinces.Shows exactly where the big counties priorities lie.

I make it 16 of last 20. Nemo, Kilmacud and Vincents twice. Still a startling fact though.

Captain Obvious

The way Ballyboden played yesterday and in the Leinster final won't be good enough to win the All Ireland final however if they play like they did against St Vincents in the Dublin championship they might pull off another shock win.

general_lee

Quote from: INDIANA on February 14, 2016, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 14, 2016, 02:25:37 PM

Castlebar just need  ensure they bring the form to Croke Park.

Ballyboden have a number of guys playing where Croke Park is a second home.

It would suit the Northern Agenda here to have Castlebar win because at least Cross could say they lost to the winners!
Northern agenda?  I don't give two hoots about Cross. That said it be nice if the final wasn't won by a super club.

Both Castlebar and Cross would have had that Clonmel team (who are very good, but not cute enough) well bet. Ballyboden did to well going down to 14 but relied on a refereeing error to eventually win them the match.

Gael85

I wonder will Paul Durkin be staying in Ireland for a few weeks? Looked very rusty yesterday and kickouts were poor. For a club like Ballyboden to be paying flights for a outsider who when lived in Dublin lived on the Northside of city(no where near Boden) is a bit of a farce?? Surely club of that size have another goalkeeper?