Pick your team> Kinahans or Hutches ?

Started by seafoid, February 09, 2016, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Dowdall was some star witness for the Gards & DPP ffs, biggest bull shitter ever walked
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Dag Dog

seafoid

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 17, 2023, 04:01:01 PM
Dowdall was some star witness for the Gards & DPP ffs, biggest bull shitter ever walked
totally

Itchy

In the eyes of the law an innocent man has been incarcerated for 2 years. I assume Hutch will sue for compensation.

David McKeown

Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2023, 06:59:21 PM
In the eyes of the law an innocent man has been incarcerated for 2 years. I assume Hutch will sue for compensation.

Ordinarily it would be very difficult for him to get any. Very high bar to get compensation after an acquittal
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gallsman

Obviously not privy to any of the evidence but always found it highly unlikely that a gangland kingpin like Hutch would get his own hands so dirty as to actually participate in a murder personally, particularly one so public and brazen.

Armagh18

Was there not a fairly damning video going around?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/04/18/gerry-hutch-remains-under-garda-investigation-despite-regency-killing-acquittal/

The Special Criminal Court said the key witness for the State in the case against Gerry Hutch, former Sinn Féin cllr Jonathan Dowdall, was not credible. In its judgment delivered by Ms Justice Burns, sitting with judges Sarah Berkeley and Gráinne Malone, Dowdall was described as a liar who had continued to tell lies while giving evidence against Mr Hutch during the trial.
The court added the contention Mr Hutch was one of the gunmen was not credible, pointing to the fact he was in his 50s when the attack occurred. The CCTV images of the attack suggested the three gunmen in mock Garda uniforms moved with the agility and speed of much younger men in a "high velocity" attack.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/04/17/garda-failures-in-hutch-trial-will-add-to-questions-about-special-criminal-court/

The National Surveillance Unit (NSU), without question the most secretive unit within An Garda Síochána, is not used to having to explain itself in the Special Criminal Court.

This was evident early in the trial of Gerry "The Monk" Hutch when it emerged that potentially crucial data documenting the surveillance of Hutch had been deleted by gardaí before the case began.

For many observers, it beggared belief that in advance of the most high-profile organised crime trial in decades, notes concerning the tracking of a car carrying Hutch and former Sinn Féin councillor turned State's witness Jonathan Dowdall were taken from a fireproof safe and destroyed. This was done by the then head of the NSU following sign-off from an assistant commissioner.

Brendan Grehan SC, who was defending Hutch, said he could not understand how gardaí could "in good faith" decide to destroy the material, and suggested some sort of "cleaning house" was taking place. The matter was "disturbing" and a "real problem", he submitted.

Pub Bore

Pretty clear who Dowdall was working for.

trailer

What happens Dowdall now? He'll be checking under his car everyday for the rest of his life I'd imagine.

general_lee

Pub Bore

Quote from: trailer on April 18, 2023, 12:21:26 PM
What happens Dowdall now? He'll be checking under his car everyday for the rest of his life I'd imagine.

Allegedly in a witness protection scheme. No doubt he'll have to go outside Ireland?  Some egg on the faces of those who took his every word as gospel.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Pub Bore on April 18, 2023, 12:33:48 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 18, 2023, 12:21:26 PM

Allegedly in a witness protection scheme. No doubt he'll have to go outside Ireland?  Some egg on the faces of those who took his every word as gospel.

Jail at the minute and then witness protection I assume ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

LeoMc

Quote from: T Fearon on May 24, 2016, 01:33:40 PM
Is this not a bit like Tyrone V Derry, very one sided? Think the Hutch team needs a change of manager.
Derry always had very good defenders, no matter how well they were going.