The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Coveney: Limited options in forming next govt, he added there's a responsibility to do what's right for the country

The lads will do anything to keep SF out

seafoid

Doing what is right for the country is the purest plámás. Just look at the state of the PS or the health service.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 04:15:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 04:06:39 PM
Another consideration is a complete variable, i.e. the reaction of the EU, US, Eurozone, IMF etc to talk of a far-left party in Government in Dublin. But if that is mooted expect some reaction.
Why not? QE doesn't work. Giving money to the rich doesn't work. They won't invest it. They just speculate it. Only way to get growth going is to build social housing and give serious pay rises to workers. PBP make more economic sense these days than FG.

I'm not sure what you are responding to. We still have to borrow money to function. Rightly or wrongly, the international community can and often does strong-arm countries when they don't like an election result, and given our debt they have plenty of leverage.
The right wing approach has been tried since 2011 or 2008 or whenever you fancy  and it doesn't work.  Bailing out the bondholders didn't work. Euro zone deflation is 0.3%. PBP would be classed as not serious but their economic policies would be more rational than FG's.

Great. So will you tell the EU, US, ECB etc, or will I?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:23:32 PM
Another consideration is a complete variable, i.e. the reaction of the EU, US, Eurozone, IMF etc to talk of a far-left party in Government in Dublin. But if that is mooted expect some reaction.
Why not? QE doesn't work. Giving money to the rich doesn't work. They won't invest it. They just speculate it. Only way to get growth going is to build social housing and give serious pay rises to workers. PBP make more economic sense these days than FG.

I'm not sure what you are responding to. We still have to borrow money to function. Rightly or wrongly, the international community can and often does strong-arm countries when they don't like an election result, and given our debt they have plenty of leverage.
The right wing approach has been tried since 2011 or 2008 or whenever you fancy  and it doesn't work.  Bailing out the bondholders didn't work. Euro zone deflation is 0.3%. PBP would be classed as not serious but their economic policies would be more rational than FG's.

We are due a change in economic system anyway now that growth is finished. France and Italy would be ultra supportive. The ECB is spoofing.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 05:26:01 PM

We are due a change in economic system anyway now that growth is finished. France and Italy would be ultra supportive. The ECB is spoofing.

You think France and Italy would want SF or the AAA-PBP in power in Dublin?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

SFAAAPBP will probably have 30 seats.
How will they form a Government?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Where did Renzi come from? People all over Europe are sick of failed elites imposing failed policies. Look at hollande's poll numbers. Taking orders from the markets is a dead end for growth.

seafoid

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 05:38:52 PM

Where did Renzi come from? People all over Europe are sick of failed elites imposing failed policies. Look at hollande's poll numbers. Taking orders from the markets is a dead end for growth.

Hollande's policies are pretty reasonable, even his tax policies wouldn't be THAT controversial in Ireland. He has targeted those earning over €150k somewhat and particularly those earning over €1m. He even lowered Corporation tax (albeit to 30%).

He is a long way to the right of some of our left, e.g. proposing an annual wealth tax of 5%.

Much of our left will be viewed as extremists abroad, like Syriza. Hollande is nothing of the sort.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:49:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 05:38:52 PM

Hollande's policies are pretty reasonable, even his tax policies wouldn't be THAT controversial in Ireland. He has targeted those earning over €150k somewhat and particularly those earning over €1m. He even lowered Corporation tax (albeit to 30%).

He is a long way to the right of some of our left, e.g. proposing an annual wealth tax of 5%.

Much of our left will be viewed as extremists abroad, like Syriza. Hollande is nothing of the sort.
It is not working for France. His poll numbers are appalling. His inability to reduce unemployment is fodder for the FN. A wealth tax would be a super idea if the money was allocated to social housing. Taxing the rich might even help them. Continuing along the current path leads to deflation and debt writeoffs.

muppet

Japan have been doing it for decades.

We have lots of road to kick the can yet. Don't expect the people in power to put their hands up and walk away.
MWWSI 2017

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 06:46:46 PM

We have lots of road to kick the can yet. Don't expect the people in power to put their hands up and walk away.
No government in Belgium for a over a year
they got on fine

It would save a ball of money - no ministers pay!

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 27, 2016, 06:58:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 06:46:46 PM

No government in Belgium for a over a year
they got on fine

It would save a ball of money - no ministers pay!

Good idea.

No new ministerial pensions either. I like it.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie