The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2016, 08:48:09 PM
Most of the top ten are burning the candle at both ends to their own degrees. Dublin the anomaly because they can pay for the professional set up and not worry about debt or bailouts. And they're the ones the rest are chasing.

The Dubs can just spend more; like the Americans in the 1980s, who cranked up the defence expenditure and the USSR went bust trying to keep up with them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aaron Boone

I know Dubs. They are treasuring these years. It can't & wont go on, their kids won't see success like this.

intheknowhow

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

The GPO's earn 28,000. 14K comes from the club that they are attached to. 14K comes from the county board.

intheknowhow

I had read it was 19k each from club and county? Is there any reliable source ?

Beffs

I got my numbers from a Eugene McGee article & a couple of others.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: intheknowhow on June 03, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
I had read it was 19k each from club and county? Is there any reliable source ?
Every Gael has to pay 19k to Dubln GAA. This is happening.

ONeill

To be fair, the cost of stout in Dublin is frightening.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Beffs

Aye. 19,000K wouldn't go far in Temple Bar of a Friday night. You'd barely have enough left over, for a 2am kebab and a taxi home.

ck

Dublin are awesome! We are probably looking at the best Gaelic football side in history. To add to this look at the younger lads they are introducing. Con O'Callaghan is only 20 and made his debut tonight. The young Basquille guy is yet to come in but is on the panel.

It won't last though. People assume money is buying them success. That's part of the answer but the current crop are multi talented and generations like that don't come around very often.

Rossfan

But when you have 1,250,000 to pick from and real GAA counties only have 30-100k :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: ck on June 05, 2016, 12:17:58 AM
Dublin are awesome! We are probably looking at the best Gaelic football side in history. To add to this look at the younger lads they are introducing. Con O'Callaghan is only 20 and made his debut tonight. The young Basquille guy is yet to come in but is on the panel.

It won't last though. People assume money is buying them success. That's part of the answer but the current crop are multi talented and generations like that don't come around very often.

Nonsense. The population, money and location advantages ensures even in a bad year they're winning Leinster and coasting to an AISF. Mad that any right-minded person would try to gloss over Dublin's ridiculous advantages.

A professional premiership side in a league with a few championship level sides (burning through insane amounts of cash trying desperately to keep up - hi, Kerry and Mayo) and the rest are league one at best. The top dogs in any sport don't stray too far from the top precisely because they have the money to ensure it doesn't happen.

The GAA are setting themselves up for failure down the line because even the Jackeens are tiring of the turkey shoots.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on June 05, 2016, 01:42:22 AM
Quote from: ck on June 05, 2016, 12:17:58 AM

Nonsense. The population, money and location advantages ensures even in a bad year they're winning Leinster and coasting to an AISF. Mad that any right-minded person would try to gloss over Dublin's ridiculous advantages.

A professional premiership side in a league with a few championship level sides (burning through insane amounts of cash trying desperately to keep up - hi, Kerry and Mayo) and the rest are league one at best. The top dogs in any sport don't stray too far from the top precisely because they have the money to ensure it doesn't happen.

The GAA are setting themselves up for failure down the line because even the Jackeens are tiring of the turkey shoots.

Roscommon spent more than Mayo last year.

lenny

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2016, 12:31:45 AM
But when you have 1,250,000 to pick from and real GAA counties only have 30-100k :-\

They have always had that number to pick from and it hasn't stopped Kerry being the most successful county by a long way. Dublin are simply going through a purple patch of players, when really class players like connolly go they will be very hard to replace. With the structures they have in place they will always be competitive but in my opinion this is just a generation of supremely talented players.