The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: intheknowhow on June 03, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
I had read it was 19k each from club and county? Is there any reliable source ?
It is about that
clubs fund half of the GPOs salary.

It's not hard to raise that sort of money when membership of a GAA club in Dublin is over €100 and most of them have bars generating profits with food and drink and functions.

I know clubs down the country where the showers still don't work and the the toilets are fecked

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2016, 12:31:45 AM
But when you have 1,250,000 to pick from and real GAA counties only have 30-100k :-\

Still cant believe some ignorant people are still using this rubbish comment.

Adult football leagues division 1-5 is Dublin's playing population. Some would say its 1-3.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 07, 2016, 09:37:54 AM
But when you have 1,250,000 to pick from and real GAA counties only have 30-100k :-\

Adult football leagues division 1-5 is Dublin's playing population. Some would say its 1-3.

How many people would that be?
if you calculate it that way, Iwould say Tyrone playing population is about 2500
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 07, 2016, 09:37:54 AM

The only ignorance here is referring to factual statements as "ignorant". The previous statement accurately compared the set of people that Dublin draw from with other counties. Of course not all these people play, nor are they any great players, but that doesn't change the comparison as this is true is every county.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fuzzman

Dublin have really got their act together regarding their underage setup. I bring my kids every Sat to the local club here in Dublin and the amount of kids we have at all age groups is HUGE. Of course that falls away as they get older but the idea of GAA being a culchie bogball sport has long gone. Parents from all backgrounds bring their kids to the very well run GAA set ups with many preferring it to soccer and rugby. The amount of Dublin kids now walking around in GAA tops and carrying a hurling is huge compared to 10 years ago. Of course when their senior county team are winning year in year out they have new local heroes to support.

Secondly, Dublin is where the jobs and lots of other attractions are for young people and so they don't have the problem many other more rural counties have where their best players want to move away for a better standard of life.
Ciaran Kilkenny and Jack McCaffrey went to Australia 2 years ago for Aussie rules trials but both came back quite sharpish as they knew they would have a good standard of living near their home and friends whereas a lad from outside Dublin may not have a good well paid job waiting for him if he stays to play for his county. Relax Fearon.
Donegal's Paul Durcan has moved to live in the Middle East now I believe with his girlfriend but I wonder if he played for the Dubs would he have done so. With another good chance of winning Sam and probably a well paid job it would be much harder to move away from that.
All I'm saying is Dublin don't have the same problem of players moving away from home as much as other counties and whilst this year they have lost O'Carroll and McCaffrey you know those two players will be back next year hungrier than ever to add to their medal count.

Rossfan

It's an awful lot easier for lads to train to IC levels when you live a few miles from your training centre.
When you're piled into a bus at 5.30, driven across country for up to 2 hours, do your training, pile into a bus for 2 more hours, then head to your abode and get to bed at 1am.....
Not many jobs in the leisure or fitness industry in Roscommon or similar counties.
Not many jobs full stop.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 07, 2016, 12:04:39 PM
It's an awful lot easier for lads to train to IC levels when you live a few miles from your training centre.
When you're piled into a bus at 5.30, driven across country for up to 2 hours, do your training, pile into a bus for 2 more hours, then head to your abode and get to bed at 1am.....
Not many jobs in the leisure or fitness industry in Roscommon or similar counties.
Not many jobs full stop.

Sure our best back of the last decade had to move aboard for a job :'(

Fuzzman

There's at least one Tyrone player based in Dublin at the moment so it's a fair aul spin 2 or 3 times a week up to training and matches.

Do Donegal have any now that Papa has gone?
What about Mayo or Kerry?

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2016, 01:05:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 07, 2016, 12:04:39 PM
Not many jobs full stop.

Sure our best back of the last decade had to move aboard for a job :'(

Did he get work on a trawler?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 07, 2016, 11:53:31 AM
Dublin have really got their act together regarding their underage setup. I bring my kids every Sat to the local club here in Dublin and the amount of kids we have at all age groups is HUGE. Of course that falls away as they get older but the idea of GAA being a culchie bogball sport has long gone. Parents from all backgrounds bring their kids to the very well run GAA set ups with many preferring it to soccer and rugby. The amount of Dublin kids now walking around in GAA tops and carrying a hurling is huge compared to 10 years ago. Of course when their senior county team are winning year in year out they have new local heroes to support.

This is true. Another reason is that these academy's are generally free whereas the soccer and rugby clubs are generally charging around €150 for an hour on a Sat or Sun for the year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Dublin rugby clubs as a rule generally have poor underage set-ups, they source their players for adult level from schools and guys moving to Dublin from the country.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

That's how it works OK. The rugby clubs take the guys and the GAA clubs take the lads.