NFL Division 2

Started by smelmoth, January 24, 2016, 09:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: JoG2 on March 27, 2016, 06:10:09 PM
Quote from: AFS on March 27, 2016, 05:59:51 PM
Results not kind to Armagh today. Gone from a situation where we might have stayed up even in defeat next weekend to one where a win might not be enough. Only an 11 point win against Derry guarantees safety. Confident of getting a win, but not by that much. Would expect Meath to beat Laois to potentially join Armagh and Derry on 6 points, but in that case we'd have to rely on Tyrone beating Fermanagh to keep us up.

Some amount of Armagh men are confident of beating Derry next week.  I wouldnt be confident of a Derry win,  but can't see where you boys confidence is coming from!
Well Derry never cease to amaze me considering the players they have. Before the championship i thought they'd be challenging for Div 1. They've descended into a real middling team in ulster in my view. Armagh at home when the chips down are in with a shout.

JoG2

Quote from: general_lee on March 27, 2016, 06:19:25 PM
Results not kind to Armagh today. Gone from a situation where we might have stayed up even in defeat next weekend to one where a win might not be enough. Only an 11 point win against Derry guarantees safety. Confident of getting a win, but not by that much. Would expect Meath to beat Laois to potentially join Armagh and Derry on 6 points, but in that case we'd have to rely on Tyrone beating Fermanagh to keep us up.

Some amount of Armagh men are confident of beating Derry next week.  I wouldnt be confident of a Derry win,  but can't see where you boys confidence is coming from!
Well Derry never cease to amaze me considering the players they have. Before the championship i thought they'd be challenging for Div 1. They've descended into a real middling team in ulster in my view. Armagh at home when the chips down are in with a shout.

Tell me about it,  I can see the game go either way, but confident?  No chance! 

seafoid

Derry have been very disappointing. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2016, 08:27:03 PM
Thought Galway would have beaten Fermanagh today, although home games haven't been Galway's forte lately. Any report from DE, AnFhairche or anybody? From a Galway perspective. FermGael summarised it from Fermanaghs pov.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Estimator

What are you basing this on?
Derry last won the Ulster Championship in 1998.
Have been in two Ulster finals between that victory and now.
Two All Ireland semi final appearances since 2000
Last won the NFL in 2008.
Were completely destroyed in Div 1 last year.
Many embarrassing defeats in the qualifiers in the last few years (including 3 times to Longford).
Ulster League Champions 2009

Itchy

Solid win for Cavan today but it was far from easy. I think Laois are better than Meath and will beat them next Sunday. Cavan v Galway is a real 50:50 match, I'm hoping home advantage will be enough for us to sneak it.

general_lee

Quote from: JoG2 on March 27, 2016, 06:21:27 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 27, 2016, 06:19:25 PM

Tell me about it,  I can see the game go either way, but confident?  No chance!
Armagh fans are a rare breed. Few half decent performances and optimism goes through the roof. Get a hammering or two and we're the worst team in ulster/div 4 material

Throw ball

On what I have seen I feel Cavan will have too much for Galway - but only just. If Tyrone want to play they will beat Fermanagh. Meath and Laois is 50:50. On the 2 Laois looked the better when they played Armagh. I hope Armagh can beat Derry but again this could go either way. Given how the table sits it looks like Laois and either Fermanagh or Armagh for the drop.

galwayman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 27, 2016, 08:46:29 PM
Thought Galway would have beaten Fermanagh today, although home games haven't been Galway's forte lately. Any report from DE, AnFhairche or anybody? From a Galway perspective. FermGael summarised it from Fermanaghs pov.
I was in Tuam.it wasn't a good Galway performance.
Fermanagh fully deserved a draw out of the game.
This just continued our trend in this league of hot and cold displays.
You never know what you're going to get from this team.
Fermanagh caused us all sorts of bother in the 2nd half when they ran at our defence in droves.
Every time they attacked they looked like they were going to get a score.
We played into their hands with indisciplined tackling & Corrigan punished most of those indiscretions.
I felt we weren't clinical enough up front.there were a number of occasions where an attacker could have gone for the jugular (ie a goal) but took ghe handy point instead.
Issues for us are recurring from previous years and don't seem to have been addressed.
Our goalkeeper is still a huge problem.
He gave away several balls with inaccurate attempted short kick outs & allowed a long ball into his square to hop over the bar for a soft point.
I have said it 100 times before on here he is simply not up to the required standard.this problem has been there since Adrian Faherty played for us a good few years back.
Also our free taking is hugely problematic.
Several different players took them and a lot were missed.
Eddie Hoare missed a 14 yard free ffs.unacceptable at club level never mind county.
Our build up play is very slow and lateral.nobidy coming into the ball at pace to break the defensive line.
We persisted with this tactic and not delivering in early ball even after Fermanagh had a man sent off and were forced to go man on man in the fullback line at times.
We didn't take advantage of that.
Positives were few and far between.
Eamon Brannigan did very well when he came on near the end.Shane Walsh unfortunately injured his knee.Adrian Varley is a frustrating player to watch.his finishing isn't up to standard.
Conroy and Sice were good.young Wynne also had a decent enough game.
But too many average performances throughout the team.

Normally you wouldn't have much hope for Cavan after a performance like that.
With this Galway team though you never know they could pull something out of the bag when you least expect it.

Stad

The point both Fermanagh and Armagh got over the weekend is absolutely vital. It means Fermanagh are now safe unless Armagh draw and Meath or Laois hammer the other team by 15+ points. Armagh now just have to beat Derry, without the point v Tyrone they would have had to beat Derry, hope Fermanagh lost to Tyrone and beaten Laois or Meath on score difference. For Laois and Meath they have to beat each other and hope Derry can beat Armagh in Armagh. Derry have nothing to play for, can't get promoted or relegated so it looks likely that Laois and Meath are heading to division 3.

seafoid

Quote from: Stad on March 28, 2016, 12:42:37 PM
The point both Fermanagh and Armagh got over the weekend is absolutely vital. It means Fermanagh are now safe unless Armagh draw and Meath or Laois hammer the other team by 15+ points. Armagh now just have to beat Derry, without the point v Tyrone they would have had to beat Derry, hope Fermanagh lost to Tyrone and beaten Laois or Meath on score difference. For Laois and Meath they have to beat each other and hope Derry can beat Armagh in Armagh. Derry have nothing to play for, can't get promoted or relegated so it looks likely that Laois and Meath are heading to division 3.
I think the negativity of the meath fans in the earlier round will be deemed crucial if they do get relegated. Fragile confidence needs better online support really

FermGael

Would agree with everything you say there Galwayman
Galway had a couple of chances to go for goal especially in the second half and opted for the point instead.
A goal in the second half would have killed us off especially with 14 men.
Your keeper was very poor.
The bounced point was poor and quite a few of his attempted short kickouts either went over the sideline or put the Galway player he had picked out under serious pressure and lead to cheap turnovers for Fermanagh at crucial times in the match.Galway didn't look like a team that knows how to play the blanket defence. Your players were funneling back but not really doing anything except standing there .

We played well when we ran at Galway and kept the ball in the hands and don't kick it away. Tyrone next up and that will be a massive test for Fermanagh. The full back line will be Fermanaghs biggest concern as we will be missing both our corner backs. Cassidy will be suspended due to the straight red and Michael Jones looked to have picked up a nasty injury as he didn't reappear for the second half.  Aidan Breen will also be unavailable because he picked up his second consecutive black card so I think that means he's suspended
Hopefully Tyrone will be as charitable to us as they were to their Armagh neighbours on Saturday night.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Duine Eile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 27, 2016, 08:46:29 PM

Not a whole pile to add to what the others have said about Galway, very poor performance. The goalkeeping issues are still a huge problem, we gave away so many scores through misplaced kick outs, bad communication etc. Not sure what the answer is though, Brian Donoghue doesn't fill me with confidence and Tom Healy seems to be gone from the panel altogether this year. We could have won this game by about ten points if we had someone willing to take a point but too many looking to pass the responsibility on to someone else. Eddie Hoare was completely anonymous yesterday and compounded his day by missing a 14 yard free which is just unforgivable. Conroy had a lot of misses too but he's still one of our better players along with Gary Sice. All in all a bad day out performance wise but in the grand scheme of things the draw makes no difference to our promotion chances, it's still in our own hands, we have to win in Cavan next week and this team seem to do better on the road than at home. It'll be a busy weekend to be a Galway GAA supporter!

Jinxy

What do we have to do to stay in this joke of a division?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2016, 04:43:27 PM
What do we have to do to stay in this joke of a division?

Pray!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B