CONTROVERSY AT TYRONE LEAGUE MASS BRAWL

Started by hippity hoppity wide, April 28, 2007, 01:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippity hoppity wide

Report from BBC website.

Huge controversy erupted last night at what should have been a low-key lower league Tyrone acl fixture.

In an amazing incident shortly after throw-in between the Newmills and Sion Mills rival clubs, the full back of the Sion Mills side bandished a knife and repeatedly attacked his opposing player. It is believed there have been previous heated clashes between the two proud GAA clubs and this has been simply an escalation in the fighting. Whan calm was eventually restored after several minutes of restraining and fighting between players, officials and supporters the player in question was shown a red card and the game abandoned. Thankfully it is reported that only minor injuries were sustained.

A Tyrone county board official was available for comment "obviously this is a disgraceful incident and we in Tyrone have been doing everything within our power to eliminate this type of behaviour. I think I speak for all GAA people and all right thinking people when I say I find this action abhorrent and it has no place in our games."

There is much speculation at the moment as to what the fall out will be. On this topic the county board source added "we will adopt a wait and see policy over the next few days but to my mind it is clear the player did not make contact with the knife and as a result i would expect the Sion Mills club to swiflty lodge an appeal. I do not want to speculate on the contents of the referee's report or undermine him or influence his decision in any way, but if it is stated that no contact was made then because of the recent precedents in these cases I would expect the red card to be rescinded and the player will be elligible for next week's championship. Let me make myself absolutely clear on this, sending off a player in the week of a championship game is abhorrent and we will continue to strive to erradicate this type of action from our games."

The manager of the Sion Mills club had this to say at an hastily convened press conference "this is a regrettable incident for all involved. At this stage we would be hopeful that the red card will be overturned, and that something could be done about that, but of more pressing concern is the possibility that the player may face a jail sentence." The team manager declined to comment on quotes attributed to the full back in question, suggesting he may now be disillusioned with the GAA and may not now make himself available for next week's championship, irrespective of the disciplinary panel's decision. It is rumoured that the player will now walk away to concentrate on his Saturday night dog fights as at least he gets a few quid outta that.

It is thought both clubs will receive a hefty fine.
SLACKERS UNITE!!!!...........................tomorrow

ziggysego

I won't even begin to tell you how this is complete bolloxs!
Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lecale2

Is it not a bit early in the day to be competely pissed?

Square Ball

Please tell me that this is a complete load of aul balloxs
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

Quote from: Square Ball on April 28, 2007, 04:49:33 PM
Please tell me that this is a complete load of aul balloxs

It is a complete load of  aul bollocks
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

screenmachine

if it is true then anyone who brandishes an offensive weapon on a playing field should be banned for life in my opinion...and have their hands chopped off, we'll see how many knives he'd pull on anyone then...sc**bag
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Main Street

QuoteReport from BBC website.

What report from what BBC website?
gobshite.com more like it

Fuzzman

THE Munster Colleges' Council is set to investigate the disgraceful scenes that marred the end of an U16½ colleges Gaelic football final between St Brendan's Killarney and Tralee CBS at Austin Stack Park, Tralee.

Brendan's won the game 3-13 to 2-11 to claim the Frewen Cup but as soon as the final whistle was sounded, a number of the Tralee supporters who were in the stand rushed onto the pitch and proceeded in mob-like fashion to attack and kick a number of the Killarney players.

St Brendan's duo Jamie O'Sullivan and James O'Donoghue were knocked to the ground and repeatedly kicked by the invading supporters.

The attackers were facilitated by the absence of stewards, but fortunately the quick action of Tralee CBS staff members, and the good sense of both sets of players prevented an even more serious incident.

Munster Colleges' Servicing Officer Tom Collum revealed that the report of referee Brendan Twiss would be examined before any action is taken by the provincial governing body.

"I wasn't at the match myself, so I don't know what happened," said Collum.

"We would hope to have the referee's report by Thursday, and we will be led and said by its contents."

Just an hour or so after the incident, Tralee CBS principal Tony O'Keeffe, a former secretary of the Kerry GAA Board, pledged that swift and significant action would be taken against the perpetrators.

O'Keeffe, one of the first on the pitch to quell the trouble, said: "We will be taking prompt and decisive action against the guilty parties.

"Two of the ring-leaders are not in our school, and we have identified two more who are pupils of our school.

"There was a lot of lads out there who were not involved (in the trouble), but they should not have run on to the pitch in the first place," added O'Keeffe.

Paddy Hickey from Irish Indo

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

full back